Author Topic: Jk Heater Woes  (Read 5756 times)

Slowcrawl70

• Noel Enright
    • View Profile
Jk Heater Woes
« on: January 06, 2016, 11:09:37 pm »
Hey Jeeple, We have had a question posed on our Facebook page that I could use some help with.  A lady stated that her JK is outputting plenty of heat on the passenger side but she isn't getting anything on the driver side.  I told her to check for disconnected duct work or an obstruction....  Any help would be appreciated!  Thanks a lot!!
1994 YJ " Bertha" , d 44's,  locked front and rear, sm420 conversion, 4 popper and 33's. ..."doing more with less"
2000 TJ Sahara,  stock 3.73's and a Trac lock
2005 LJ , 33's,  some lift, 6 spd manual, hard/soft top my daily

SteveTheFolkie

• To live is to fly, all alone and high
    • View Profile
    • Steves music site
Re: Jk Heater Woes
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 05:24:33 pm »
The heat flapper doors are typically controlled by pneumatic valves (vacuum) - I'd suggest that they check under the dash - either a vacuum tube is disconnected OR the membrane upon which the vacuum acts to open the flapper valve is knackered.  A fun way to determine this is to use starter spray (have a fire extinguisher VERY HANDY) with the engine at idle - shoot it at the vacuum hoses under the dash - if the engine revs up you either have a bad line OR a knackered membrane - replace as required and get heat to BOTH sides of the transmission tunnel!

Again - if you opt for the starter spray make damned certain you have someone nearby (preferably leaning in on the passenger side) with a fire extinguisher at the ready (pin pulled, hand on trigger) just in case -

As an aside, starter spray can also be used to mount or re-seat tires on the trail - nifty experiment in physical chemistry!

Cheers

Steve

(Tattoo) Jack

• Jack Utter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2016, 08:43:12 am »
As an aside, starter spray can also be used to mount or re-seat tires on the trail - nifty experiment in physical chemistry!

POOOF! Now that's what I'm talking about  >:D

8)

The only way to know your limits...  is to surpass them!

Don't Shop - Adopt
   "Save Your Best Friends Life, Adopt a Rescue"
       If it's not a Dobermann, it's just a Dawg...

SteveTheFolkie

• To live is to fly, all alone and high
    • View Profile
    • Steves music site
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2016, 05:24:33 pm »
Had a slick un-seat itself at ATCO in Jersey back in the late 70's (after which I ran sheet metal screws through the rims and into the beads) - one of the guys in the pits demonstrated how starter spray could help the situation - it garnered the attention of a lot of officials ..... '63 Impala, 409 dual quad SS, 4spd, highly modified - "street legal" and ran low 10's .....

(Tattoo) Jack

• Jack Utter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2016, 06:52:39 pm »

Cool.

Dn in Southern Maryland, back in the 60's n early 70's, there was LOTS of street racing and some awesome cars!

8)

The only way to know your limits...  is to surpass them!

Don't Shop - Adopt
   "Save Your Best Friends Life, Adopt a Rescue"
       If it's not a Dobermann, it's just a Dawg...