Author Topic: Northumberland County will host a Public Input Session  (Read 28328 times)

Mike D

Re: Northumberland County will host a Public Input Session
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2010, 07:24:33 pm »
Thank you Jeremy for standing up at the meeting and giving your input. I was happy the that they took all our inputs even if it was only on a 3x5 card (Lori and I each filled both sides out of our cards) and it was also good to see that people wanted to have horse trails and camping on the land.

But I am worried the the ATV people are going to have the biggest voice in the park (They have the most to gain and the most to lose). We really need to have mass numbers at these meeting for show of force and get other 4x4 clubs involved. East Coast Four Wheel Drive Association had a good turn out but the ATV guys had some strong speakers that really stood out even for the 2 minutes they were allotted to talk. I also feel that we need to have someone from United Four Wheel Drive Associations at the meeting.
Just my 2 cents

Jeremy

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2010, 09:06:38 pm »
two of the groups contracted by the county for this park is  Pennoni Associates ,  http://www.pennoni.com/Services/,  maybe it would be wise to invite some of them on trail ride scouting expeditions so they have first hand experience on what our for of recreation is, and what our needs are. 
Jeremy Meehan

MB4/94

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2010, 11:11:25 pm »
The design firm is Pashek and they partnered with Pennoni to do some of the sub work.  I can a sure you they know what the full size guys want and need .  I personally have had them out on the project property and they look at the land the same way I do . They love the diversity of the terrain they have to work with on this project.

The full size guys need to step up to the mic and voice their needs ,wants ,and wishes when the proper time comes.  I'm a full size user and I am doing everything that I can to make sure we get what WE NEED .  But I do need all your help to back me up.

Barry   

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2010, 02:07:53 am »
And you WILL get it Barry..........Early notice to schedule a vacation day will guarantee my attendance.
I'll talk two minutes each time with 40 different masks at hand... ;D Book a hotel folks if I attend  ;)
Thanks to all that were able to attend.
Do Your Duty And History Will Do You Justice...!
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...

ddechri

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2010, 01:15:06 pm »
Barry, have you interfaced with the founders of Black Mountain OHV park in Harlan County, KY? http://www.harlancountytrails.com/

I think the story is the same. Reclaiming old mining property for multi-use recreation. But, there may also be some lessons learned on swaying the locals and trying to get everyone to play together. I intended to visit there while we were on vacation last year, but vacations always end up being to short. I got in contact with Ron Daniels, Kentucky Mountain Crawler President (ronandrose@bellsouth.net) for info. I think they are one of the clubs deeply involved with the park.

- Dave
Dave DeChristopher
'79 CJ-7: 4.0L, T18, bronco geared Dana 20, D30/D44 (locked), Warn 8274
'60 Willys PU: IH 304 V8, wide T19, Dana 18, OD, PTO Winch, SOA D44/D53(Power Lock) w/4.27's, 33's,
'68 CJ5 - Dauntless, SM420 (project)
'98 Dodge Ram 2500 12V CTD QC LWB
"Where ever I go, there's I AM"

MB4/94

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2010, 03:46:31 pm »
Dave,

I'm pretty sure that the county was in touch with the park down in Harlan.  A lot has happened in the last two days involving the locals. They have become more familiar with the project and some I think are looking at it a little differently now.  We still have lots to do.

Barry

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2010, 10:30:29 pm »
A Letter from the Northumberland county Commissioners Office to the Northumberland County Planning Director, Patrick Mack.
I recently received the following email from the Commissioners Office regarding the OHV Park. I think its noted that all 3 Commissioners urged me to publish this letter.

Pat

The intent of this program is to bring fresh, new money into Northumberland County on a regular basis.  We need to provide some measurable economics to an area that has very limited employment. This OHV Park is a method to assist in economic development for an area that is economically disadvantaged due to poor road networks through major cities; disadvantaged by two lane roads leading to Interstate 80 and 81; and disadvantaged due to major mountain chains and very limited flat land that is not undermined. The OHV Park addresses the weaknesses of our area such as hilly terrain and rocks, and makes that weakness an economic strength because of the desire of OHV enthusiasts to “play” in that terrain. The overall regional scheme will address existing state game lands that abut County land, and existing State Parks and existing State Forests. However we need to make disadvantaged areas economically viable. We need to stem the slide of this region’s persistent drift into poverty!

For a successful project we need to have personnel who are dedicated to improving our economy.  My thoughts are to make this project what it is, an economic engine to provide jobs.
Do Your Duty And History Will Do You Justice...!
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...