Author Topic: Squirrel through the turn signal!  (Read 5053 times)

SteveTheFolkie

• To live is to fly, all alone and high
    • View Profile
    • Steves music site
Squirrel through the turn signal!
« on: October 29, 2015, 06:40:15 pm »
Here's one for the record books (wish I had a dash cam to have recorded this!) - driving along on a 2 lane road - spot a bald eagle in a tree - dead squirrel about 200 meters ahead of me on the road - eagle swoops down to pick up the squirrel - I nail the brakes - apparently the sound startled the eagle who dropped the squirrel and passed about 3" over my windshield (talons extended!) - squirrel took out the drivers side turn signal lens ....

I pulled off the road for a bit to recover before heading on my way!

I've been hit by eagle poop before (covered the windshield of my 70 VW Bug) - but never by an animal DROPPED by an Eagle!

Cheers

Steve

Death Wobble

• Angie Zinn - Wall St. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Squirrel through the turn signal!
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 08:16:44 pm »
I wonder if there is a line item on your insurance company's claim form for squirrel strikes?

A red tailed hawk came at my office window one day.  I put my arm up to shield my face from the impending crash, and he backpedaled his wings and just made a slight thump, leaving one downy chest feather behind stuck on the glass!  He turned and flew away no worse for the wear.

Dad was driving a pickup truck, came upon a roadkill with vultures, one of them started flying right at him, and then it tipped its wings up and sailed right over the cab.  He thought he was going to be eating it.  Birds can really maneuver when they want to!

I have found small catfish in the yard on several occasions, too.  Probably dropped by raptors.
'88 XJ Limited:  4.5" ZONE lift, 32x11.5x15 BFG KM2s, JKS Quicker Discos, Kevin's Off Road rock rails.
'96 XJ Sport: 31x10.5 BFGs, 3" Rusty's lift.
Listen to Clutch.
(and your gut instincts)
CENSORSHIP IS UNAMERICAN!