The Garage > Work In Progress

7 Seater, Rock Crawler, Street Legal on a Budget?

<< < (3/4) > >>

Mike DeChristopher:
I've seen a lot of jeeps over the last 13 years.

After the body work was finished I moved on to fenders. I had about 6" of tire extending beyond the existing fenders. I had a set of plastic flares but my experience has been that they get damaged/ripped off. I knew that with the extra length turning would be a challenge so I wanted to be able to slide along rocks or trees on the fenders. For the front I made an 1 1/2 pipe hoop attached to the frame that goes over the fan. Then i punched holes in the fenders for 1" pipe that would tie to the flare. I borrowed a tubing notcher which worked awesome. I also borrowed  HF pipe bender which also worked well for forminh. The flares are capped with 3/16" plate that I formed with c-clamps and a dead blow hammer.

For rock rails I used 4" x 4" x .25 angle. The rear fenders are the same concept. I bend sections of the 4" angle for rear body corner protection. The fender flares and rock rails bolt on thru the body and between the body and the body mounts on the frame.

https://goo.gl/photos/RHDPjVAh1Uwbs8B28

Mike DeChristopher:
Since the tube fenders turned out pretty sweet (IMO). I figured I would jump right into the roll bar. I used the same tube notcher and pipe bender to fab three main hoops and 8 spreader bars. The hole saws in the tube notcher held up really well. I used the same two cutters for the whole project (+50 notches). The roll cage ties into the 4" rock rail and the body. While I was at it I added mounting plates for 6 speakers, the CB radio, and the fold down DVD player monitor. The scrambler top I bought on CL was a great fit. I only problem was that it didn't fit through the garage door!  I ended up making a telescopic mount for the main bow of the soft top with pull pins that allow the bow to drop so I can fit through the door.

https://goo.gl/photos/FJeHE3QDJV9bhp8A6

Mike DeChristopher:
I also bent and welded up an exo-cage. A couple years ago I made one for my CJ and fell in love with the luxury of not worring about my soft top. The upper hoop for the YJ is 20 ft long. The front bolts to the roll cage around the door.

Other misc:
I swapped tail lights for flush mounted LEDs including side markers
I added a homemade truss and anti-spring wrap bar to the Dana 35.
The hoops and spreaders of the roll cage were drilled before welding so that the roll cage is my air tank.
I swapped the front shafts for ones with 297 U joints. The passenger side is now one piece. I replaced the blown ARB with a lock rite.
Added a conical K&N air filter.
Added homemade differential and gas tank skid plates.
Replaced the exhaust manifold with one with flex sections.

https://goo.gl/photos/UQHGdEvjesz9sdg28

Keith:
Mike, That is going to be one awesome rig. I was wondering how you were going to keep the family together as they grew. This should do it. With this wheel base, you'll be keeping the front wheels planted on some of those uphill rocky climbs. I'm thinking about the time you had the front end off the ground numberous times and you finally handed the kids out before trying again. That was a great day and you put on a heck of a show.

Mike DeChristopher:
For the seats, I installed a fold and flip bench in the rear. I had to move it back 3" for leg room. For the middle row, I used the two Bestop front seats that came with the jeep. For the front I used two Wrangler front seats that I bought on CL. The seventh seat is a child seat that's mounted between the two front seats. The front passenger seat still has room to flip forward.
I welded up a small heater box and fan setup for under the right middle row seat to provide a boost to the heating system. Its plumbed in parallel with the stock heater core. For under the other middle row seat, I built a wooden box that has a 10" subwoofer.

https://goo.gl/photos/2EFWtoCrDLfNJifCA

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version