Author Topic: NP242 won't go out of 4WD  (Read 6822 times)

SteveTheFolkie

• To live is to fly, all alone and high
    • View Profile
    • Steves music site
NP242 won't go out of 4WD
« on: March 19, 2015, 06:48:55 am »
Morning,

Here's an odd one - '97 ZJ - goes into low range, neutral, full time and part time but does NOT seem to shift out of 4wd (get that binding tug at the wheel when making tight turns) - going to crawl under it Saturday to see what's going on, but what's the procedure for adjusting the shifter (if that's the culprit)?  I can run it in full time 4wd, I understand, but prefer to get 18MPG rather  than 14MPG.

Thanks in advance

Steve

Death Wobble

• Angie Zinn - Wall St. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: NP242 won't go out of 4WD
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 03:59:42 pm »
 You might have popped a rod out of your T-case linkage.
'88 XJ Limited:  4.5" ZONE lift, 32x11.5x15 BFG KM2s, JKS Quicker Discos, Kevin's Off Road rock rails.
'96 XJ Sport: 31x10.5 BFGs, 3" Rusty's lift.
Listen to Clutch.
(and your gut instincts)
CENSORSHIP IS UNAMERICAN!

SteveTheFolkie

• View Profile
    • Steves music site
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 07:43:04 pm »
Thanks, I'll take a look over the weekend - might as well leave it in 4WD for tomorrow - 4-6" of snow!

Cheers

Steve

SteveTheFolkie

• View Profile
    • Steves music site
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 08:24:40 pm »
Cycled it in/out of 4WD in the dirt - 2nd time was the charm - once it warms up I'll crawl under and see what's out of adjustment - I noticed that full time 4WD engaged when I was just in Neutral, Neutral engaged "early" in Low range, low range required a mighty tug to get it in and out - obviously the shifter is not adjusted correctly - but since Saturday coming back from lunch the bearings in the jockey pulley for the serp belt opted to lock up adjusting the shift linkage will have to wait for another day.  Sometimes I think that's the best thing about owning VW's and Jeeps - no need for a hobby - they swallow and digest any and all free time!

Cheers

Steve

Death Wobble

• Angie Zinn - Wall St. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 09:49:17 am »
Sometimes, just driving forward and backward can straighten problems out; other times, it requires money.  8)
'88 XJ Limited:  4.5" ZONE lift, 32x11.5x15 BFG KM2s, JKS Quicker Discos, Kevin's Off Road rock rails.
'96 XJ Sport: 31x10.5 BFGs, 3" Rusty's lift.
Listen to Clutch.
(and your gut instincts)
CENSORSHIP IS UNAMERICAN!