Author Topic: Odd noise - only when going > 70MPH  (Read 5612 times)

SteveTheFolkie

• To live is to fly, all alone and high
    • View Profile
    • Steves music site
Odd noise - only when going > 70MPH
« on: November 18, 2014, 09:26:41 pm »
1997 ZJ 4.0 - driving home from Michigan today when going > 70 MPH (most of the states West of PA are posted at 70 SO I figure 10% over is OK), only when NOT using cruise control, I had a sound that for all the world sounded like a failing bearing.  When I stopped for gas (by the way, with the 40+MPH tail-wind on I80 in Ohio (dead freaking flat) I was getting 24MPG) I checked the accessory pulleys and serp belt - everything seems fine - when accelerating up to speed no noise until I exceeded 65MPH - any ideas?  The sound seemed to come from right in front of the glove box (doesn't seem to be anything noise worthy there) and again - sounded like a bearing on the brink of failure.  Once I pulled off the TP at RT 15 it was quiet all the way home down 15 and 194 to Abbottstown.  I've had her past 80 MPH before and didn't notice this noise.  Ideas welcomed (except suggestions to slow down).

Cheers

Steve

hillbilly

• adam lewis - appalachian american - B.O.D.
    • View Profile
Re: Odd noise - only when going > 70MPH
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 09:49:05 am »
maybe something loose. i have a tire on the roof with a ratchet strap and every now and then, not consistent enough to get it to duplicate every time, it will vibrate like crazy scare the heck out of you. and we had an issue with the antenna doing that someone loosened it just a bit and when you hit 65 + it would make all sorts of noise.
build it, beat it, break it, fix it, repeat
A member of the church requests to be buried in his jeep because "It ain't never been in a hole it couldn't get out of."
   91 xj 8.5" lift -33" x 12.50 and my own additions
 94 xj (wifes) 3.5" lift and the boys 1979 cj7

SteveTheFolkie

• To live is to fly, all alone and high
    • View Profile
    • Steves music site
Re: Odd noise - only when going > 70MPH
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 09:29:35 pm »
Spot on - it's the under-hood light - was poking around for something loose - noticed that the area around it on the underside of the hood was shiny - schlepped some duct tape on it (underhood insulation is a bit, um, rough) - drove to Oberlin Ohio yesterday and home today - no noise!