Author Topic: Shop recommendations for gear work  (Read 8042 times)

laoch

• View Profile
Shop recommendations for gear work
« on: August 12, 2014, 06:37:45 pm »
So, I need to get my CJ7 re-geared.  Any recommendations for a good shop? Good work for a fair price is all I want.
The Hanover or West York area would be best.

Bruce
83 CJ7 not stock
73 CJ5 project
91 YJ bone stock
01 TJ  DD

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
Re: Shop recommendations for gear work
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 06:48:02 pm »
Not trying to sound like a PITA, but with parts and labor it can run $1,000 per axel. In your area either Hoak's or maybe Know Where 2 Jeep in Maryland. I know people but are far out of your circle. Good Luck. Gears are needing knowledge, it's a shame you can't do them yourself and save $600-$800
Do Your Duty And History Will Do You Justice...!
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...

laoch

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 07:29:07 am »
Not trying to sound like a PITA, but with parts and labor it can run $1,000 per axel. In your area either Hoak's or maybe Know Where 2 Jeep in Maryland. I know people but are far out of your circle. Good Luck. Gears are needing knowledge, it's a shame you can't do them yourself and save $600-$800

Thanks. I know the cost, but it needs done and it's beyond my scope.

Bruce
83 CJ7 not stock
73 CJ5 project
91 YJ bone stock
01 TJ  DD

Peyton

• my boy and my cj 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 02:56:11 pm »
Just got a price from hoaks $400 per axle not bad
Peyton

laoch

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 07:15:27 pm »
Just got a price from hoaks $400 per axle not bad

Thanks.
Bruce
83 CJ7 not stock
73 CJ5 project
91 YJ bone stock
01 TJ  DD

SteveTheFolkie

• To live is to fly, all alone and high
    • View Profile
    • Steves music site
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 08:03:24 pm »
it's a shame you can't do them yourself and save $600-$800

Thanks. I know the cost, but it needs done and it's beyond my scope.

You can do them yourself - you just need to accumulate the right tools.  A dial indicator, plastigauge and a micrometer are your friends for establishing pre-load and engagement patterns.  In 1978 I worked as a mechanic in a Plymouth dealership - I spent days just rebuilding differentials that had not been set up correctly at the factory - it took some patience and tools, but I set up many differentials at the dealership while keeping my 1963 SS 409 Impala screaming down the drag strip running a spool and a variety of gears - read up on whats required, accumulate the tools (sadly my dial indicator disappeared when my garage was broken into years ago or I'd lend it to you) and do the job - heck - even if you muck it up the howl will alert you to the mistake before any significant damage takes place!

Cheers

Steve