Author Topic: Check Engine Light - 97 ZJ 4.0  (Read 4561 times)

SteveTheFolkie

• To live is to fly, all alone and high
    • View Profile
    • Steves music site
Check Engine Light - 97 ZJ 4.0
« on: July 17, 2014, 08:25:45 pm »
Driving to Manchester TN on Sunday my '97 ZJ 4.0 threw a CEL in South Western VA - it cleared by Bristol TN.  Drove the rest of the way to Manchester (think Nashville), no CEL, coming back around Wytheville VA (I think the spelling is right) after filling up (for $3.189/gallon) it came back on and has persisted since.  Is there a way to read the codes myself (like OBD1 where you'd read blink codes) or am I stuck going to autozone or some other retail establishment to get my codes read?  Just wondering 'cause I'd like to see what's causing the code.
As an aside, I averaged 19.6MPG for the trip (around 1370 miles over 2 days) - not bad for a real vehicle with a genuine engine!

Cheers

Steve

SteveTheFolkie

• To live is to fly, all alone and high
    • View Profile
    • Steves music site
Re: Check Engine Light - 97 ZJ 4.0 - answer my own question!
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 07:34:29 pm »
Seems that if you cycle the ignition key three times (on/off/on/off/on) in 5 seconds the error code appears on the left side of the odometer - I had a 43 indicating an intermittent ignition fault - which disappeared after 5 miles of driving this morning - maybe I'll tune her up tomorrow (cap/rotor/wires/plugs) - if you drive a 93-97 give it a shot - apparently you can count blinking CEL's the same way (mine blinked 4 then 3 then 4 then 3 before I noticed the 43 in the odometer)

Cheers

Steve