Author Topic: Battery  (Read 10066 times)

Peyton

• my boy and my cj 7
    • View Profile
Battery
« on: June 10, 2014, 10:13:59 am »
Which battery would you recommend yellow top or red top optima for a cj 7... I have a winch two kc lights and a 400 watt amp

Thanks
Dave
Peyton

Death Wobble

• Angie Zinn - Wall St. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Battery
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 02:33:04 pm »
http://www.optimabatteries.com/en-us/support/faqs    Have you checked this?  The first product info. question ought to help.
'88 XJ Limited:  4.5" ZONE lift, 32x11.5x15 BFG KM2s, JKS Quicker Discos, Kevin's Off Road rock rails.
'96 XJ Sport: 31x10.5 BFGs, 3" Rusty's lift.
Listen to Clutch.
(and your gut instincts)
CENSORSHIP IS UNAMERICAN!

CJ8Ted

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 09:18:54 pm »
Blue Top ,,, deep cycle and stronger post w/ wing nuts for the wench.

Ted
85' CJ8 on 33s w/ 4.56s

hillbilly

• adam lewis - appalachian american - B.O.D.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 09:47:25 am »
i agree with ted, my yellow top only made it 2 yrs with the same setup
build it, beat it, break it, fix it, repeat
A member of the church requests to be buried in his jeep because "It ain't never been in a hole it couldn't get out of."
   91 xj 8.5" lift -33" x 12.50 and my own additions
 94 xj (wifes) 3.5" lift and the boys 1979 cj7

HANGMAN

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 07:44:38 pm »
Blue Top ,,, deep cycle and stronger post w/ wing nuts for the wench.

Ted

Yep, works for me, when your winching without a high output alternator the battery goes down fast at idle, keep the RMP's up some. If you go with one blue top pay attention that its DEEP CYCLE / STARTING. IMO
I'm running two batteries with an isolator.
74 jeep CJ5  ( PACKMULE )
BOB BEHLER
OVER, THROUGH OR UNDER

Peyton

• my boy and my cj 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, 08:17:48 am »
Thanks everyone for the info.
Peyton

PaulW

• Dunno what goes here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2014, 07:18:36 pm »
My smittybuilt xrc8 pulls about 450 amps when fully loaded.  I have to pause during pulls to let my charging system catch up with the depleted battery.  During one strong/long pull it actually stalled my jeep due to the alternator locking up from the magnetic field generated by the high electrical load.  I would get the strongest battery you could if your going to be winching a lot.  I have a napa battery in mine, and for the most part, it's just fine.
04 TJ, bastard lift, 33's, winch, bumpers, dents and scratches and it's not even paid for yet!  Paul Wilks.

HANGMAN

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2014, 11:41:54 pm »
Which battery would you recommend yellow top or red top optima for a cj 7... I have a winch two kc lights and a 400 watt amp

Thanks
Dave
My smittybuilt xrc8 pulls about 450 amps when fully loaded.  I have to pause during pulls to let my charging system catch up with the depleted battery.  During one strong/long pull it actually stalled my jeep due to the alternator locking up from the magnetic field generated by the high electrical load.  I would get the strongest battery you could if your going to be winching a lot.  I have a napa battery in mine, and for the most part, it's just fine.
Are you guy's using a Snatch Block or two? It would reduce heat buildup and amp draw, also use up some of the outer cable, by getting you down on the first wrapping of cable.
BOB BEHLER
OVER, THROUGH OR UNDER

PaulW

• Dunno what goes here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2014, 07:56:20 am »

Thanks
Dave
Are you guy's using a Snatch Block or two? It would reduce heat buildup and amp draw, also use up some of the outer cable, by getting you down on the first wrapping of cable.
I wasn't for that pull, I didn't have any recovery gear with me, it was a "crap Paul can you come get me" wheelin trip.
04 TJ, bastard lift, 33's, winch, bumpers, dents and scratches and it's not even paid for yet!  Paul Wilks.

HANGMAN

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2014, 04:18:23 pm »

Thanks
Dave
I wasn't for that pull, I didn't have any recovery gear with me, it was a "crap Paul can you come get me" wheelin trip.
Don't you just love those 1am. phone calls? ;D
BOB BEHLER
OVER, THROUGH OR UNDER

PaulW

• Dunno what goes here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2014, 10:32:21 pm »

Thanks
Dave
Don't you just love those 1am. phone calls? ;D

If I hadn't done it to him 5. 6 maybe 15 times, I would ignore the call... And it was closer to 3am.