Author Topic: The beginning of a "Grand" affair  (Read 8620 times)

SteveTheFolkie

• To live is to fly, all alone and high
    • View Profile
    • Steves music site
The beginning of a "Grand" affair
« on: March 22, 2014, 06:39:09 pm »

Ok, YJ's, XJ's, 2 CJ's (one 5, one 2) - this is my first ZJ and my first attempt at using photobucket - show's 150K on the clock but it received a new Jasper rebuilt engine, transmission and t-case @ 80K.  Also my first "selectrack" transfercase - if it gives me any trouble it'll get swapped for a 231.  Runs great, all the gee-gaws work, leather and carpet are in great shape, I'm the 2nd owner - apparently the 1st owner took care of his or her stuff!

PaulW

• Dunno what goes here.
    • View Profile
Re: The beginning of a "Grand" affair
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 08:51:45 pm »
I like zj's they were the very first 4 coil sprung jeep.  Watch out for the poopy Dana 35 out back.  An 8.8 ford is usually a good swap in those, as you can retain the disc brakes.
04 TJ, bastard lift, 33's, winch, bumpers, dents and scratches and it's not even paid for yet!  Paul Wilks.

SteveTheFolkie

• View Profile
    • Steves music site
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 09:10:01 pm »
Thanks - I'll keep that in mind (differential) - she's a 4.0 I6, as such shouldn't tax the diff like a V8 ...  it's currently running 31's with minimal rub (only @ full lock), might do a budget lift (2" spring spacers) just to get a bit more attitude (and altitude), not interested in building it into a rock crawler or anything like that - it's going to be a daily driver.

Cheers

Steve

SteveTheFolkie

• View Profile
    • Steves music site
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 06:45:11 pm »
She seems to be a keeper.  Last Wednesday I drove from Abbottstown to Detroit and then Windsor Canada - hit a meeting on Thursday then drove to Toronto - hit a meeting Friday morning then drove from Toronto through Niagara Falls (slowly I turned, inch by inch, step by step ....(sorry for the stooges regression)) and home to Abbottsotown - 18MPG the whole way (pissing down rain for most of Wednesday and Friday), used no oil, didn't miss a beat and I was comfortable the whole time.
Yep - the start of a GRAND affair!
She does need tires - thinking of going with 30*9.5*15 BFG TA AT's - did some measuring and they won't rub at full lock - it'll never be a rock crawler being as nice as it is.

Cheers

Steve

PaulW

• Dunno what goes here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 09:48:40 pm »
Glad your enjoying it.  Welcome to the grand crowd!
04 TJ, bastard lift, 33's, winch, bumpers, dents and scratches and it's not even paid for yet!  Paul Wilks.

SteveTheFolkie

• View Profile
    • Steves music site
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 03:28:04 pm »
New tires this morning - runs great - handles better(the wife even likes driving it) - no rust (like zero) underneath except for one brake line that'll be replaced next weekend (had one blow out on an XJ - NOT a prime moment in my life) - putting shocks on it when I get back from Austria (mid May - business trip - tough life - fly into Munich, take the A1 to Austria, reserved an M3 as a rental, company pays for everything but speeding tickets (130KPH in Austria so I've gotta keep it around 90MPH) - odd thing is - I smile when I drive this jeep - the last car that had that effect on me was a grey market scirocco 16V GTI - so she's a keeper (scirocco had a horrible death - tin worm on the front strut towers) -

Cheers

Steve

SteveTheFolkie

• View Profile
    • Steves music site
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 08:36:25 pm »
Still driving the old girl, it's been a year or so, replaced the alternator and serp belt (whoo-hoo!) - recently (post thaw) the front suspension has started to groan over bumps - suspect a worn ball joint - will take a peek at that over the weekend... headed to Austria next month (business again) - have a G-Wagen reserved - interested to see how it does on the unrestricted 'bahn between Munich and the Austrian border on a Sunday (no trucks allowed!) - betcha it's better than the Renault Clio I had last year!  Yeah - the ZJ is a heck of a vehicle!  It's been a very good year ...