Author Topic: Wont Start...Power is there, Wont Start  (Read 7773 times)

j.haffly

• View Profile
Wont Start...Power is there, Wont Start
« on: November 20, 2013, 03:12:16 pm »
Ok....97 TJ SE....has power, lights come one, dashboard, etc etc....turn the key, nothing, no click, nothing....

I'm thinking starter or ignition switch....they dont have a separate solenoid to they?

Thanks,
Jim
Jim "I'm Jonesing for some off-roading" Haffly

zach.poff

• View Profile
Re: Wont Start...Power is there, Wont Start
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 04:11:43 pm »
You could quickly determine which half of the system the issue lies in by jumping the starter relay in the under-hood junction box.

If you jump the control side of the relay with the key in the on position and the engine cranks, it's in the ignition side.

( Make sure it's out of gear ! )
Zach Poff
98 PJN Green TJ 33"KM2's. OME /JKS Split Lift. 4.56's
07 Dodge CTD/ 20' H&H Tilt Hauler

j.haffly

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 04:19:53 pm »
Zach....

If I'm thinking right, isnt the actual solenoid located basically with the starter?

Also, I remove the starter relay and just use some wire to jump, correct?

Jim....I know, I'm a moron....never had this issue before....past vehicles I've replaced a solenoid that was mounted on the firewall or side of the engine compartment....I've even rebuilt a starter in the past....but have never had an issue with my Jeep....

zach.poff

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 04:39:06 pm »
Zach....

If I'm thinking right, isnt the actual solenoid located basically with the starter?

Also, I remove the starter relay and just use some wire to jump, correct?

Jim....I know, I'm a moron....never had this issue before....past vehicles I've replaced a solenoid that was mounted on the firewall or side of the engine compartment....I've even rebuilt a starter in the past....but have never had an issue with my Jeep....

The solenoid is on the starter, the RELAY is in the PDC box by the air cleaner. Jump at the RELAY with a paper clip or some thing similar. You are breaking it in  two halves this way (key switch, dash wiring, clutch switch and relay socket) and (battery, starter, starter solenoid and cabling)If I remember correctly, the two pins you jump will be at the 12 and 6 oclock position when standing with your belly against the RS fender.
Zach Poff

j.haffly

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 07:37:54 pm »
Ok....sounds like a plan....

However, got home and turned the key, nothing...turned it again...fired right up....didnt hit, touch, nothing, just turned the key....

zach.poff

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 07:41:55 pm »
That's how it always goes........lol

You'll probably find an issue near the ignition switch. I just went through this on a friends 99TJ, ignition switch was bad.
Zach Poff

pa2phx

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 06:10:44 pm »
Ok....sounds like a plan....

However, got home and turned the key, nothing...turned it again...fired right up....didnt hit, touch, nothing, just turned the key....

You have probably already done this. i only mention it because i have overlooked the simple things in the past only to be burned. Sometimes one of the batt cables can be loose enough to prevent the starter from engaging even know the rest of the power works normal.
John Michael