Author Topic: How much lift  (Read 9569 times)

Morton

• View Profile
How much lift
« on: October 27, 2013, 11:08:17 am »
I bought my Rubicon with a lift already installed. The owner told me it was a 4" lift. Comparing my jeep to others with 4" lift it doesn't appear to be equal. Hard to judge because of tire size differences and body lifts. My question is what can I measure to tell me if I have a 3" or 4" lift?  Getting ready to upgrade suspension and want to be able to make a decision on what size lift. Want to stay as low as possible.
Morton St. Hart
03 Rubicon, 4.0 5spd,
Rock Krawler LA
3 link w/coil overs front
4 link rear
on 35's

07 sunburst orange Avalanche

pa2phx

• View Profile
Re: How much lift
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 04:20:11 am »
i'd be curious to know the answer to this question as well. My guess would be by measuring the unloaded length of the coils. But i image that differs based on the manufacturer of the lift. If you know the brand you could call them. i am sure they would have a good method
John Michael

zach.poff

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 12:02:44 pm »
Mort,

Of course this is just my opinion and school of thought.

I don't think I would put too much thought into the current lift now.....

If you are looking to re-configure what you have now I would look at a JKS 1.25" Body lift first. This would allow you to run 1" taller motor mounts and install high clearnace belly pan and fuel tank skid that pushes the tank back up in the frame 1.5" like those from Rokmen.

Then, you could look at some control arms with Johhny Joints, also from Rokmen. This would take some stress off of those mounts.

In the end all you are left with is the coils and shocks, which I would assume you could have your pick accross the price range. Currie on the high end and RC on the lower end......3 to 4 inch coils should be plenty at that point.

Regradless you can't overlook the step of setting up extended bumpstops. You can always limit your uptravel to keep the tires out of the body.

Zach Poff
98 PJN Green TJ 33"KM2's. OME /JKS Split Lift. 4.56's
07 Dodge CTD/ 20' H&H Tilt Hauler

Morton

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 10:39:35 pm »
OK so here is what I did. I found a stock jeep and measured the distance from the shock tower to the bottom mounting bolt. the difference from that jeep to  mine was 3" giving that I have added winch and steel bumpers and other weighted Items I would say that it was a 3.5" lift.

Zach I took some of your advise and added a 1.25 BL and a 1" ML. Also took out the shim down bars that were installed on the transfer case with the lift. That gave me 1.5" more clearance and added adjustable upper rear control arms to change pinion angle. With the intention of in the near future of changing to a long arm and a belly tuck all I would be wasting is the cost of the CA's. 

Thanks everyone for your input
Morton St. Hart
03 Rubicon, 4.0 5spd,
Rock Krawler LA
3 link w/coil overs front
4 link rear
on 35's

07 sunburst orange Avalanche