Author Topic: Hello from Audubon, PA  (Read 7480 times)

weispennstate

• Tom Weiss
    • View Profile
Hello from Audubon, PA
« on: April 01, 2013, 08:59:44 am »
Hi guys,

I am Tom from Audubon, PA (western suburbs of Philadelphia).

I am a former wrangler owner (2003 barebones SE) that had to trade it in for a civic commuter car in 2006.  It was a very sad day because I loved it dearly but an hour commute with pleather seats and no a/c wasn't cutting it.

But I'm proud to say I got a new position that comes with a fleet vehicle.  Just sold the civic yesterday, transferring the title tomorrow.  Now its time to shop for Jeeps  ;D

My price range is up to $7k.  Requirements are a TJ w/ inline 6 and A/C, preferable full doors.  This price range is returning results for 97-99 TJ's with mileage a little over 100k.  I'm aware of the rust issues, but can anyone lend some knowledge about what other things to look for?  Bought the first Jeep new so this is a new experience.

My wife and I are pretty excited about the idea of a Jeep club.  I'm not planning on turning it into a monster, just keeping it however I buy it.  Just looking for some fun trail riding and good times.

So anyway...hello again.

Jeepnharleymomma

• Show Chairman
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Hello from Audubon, PA
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 03:55:21 pm »
Welcome. Come check out one of our meetings, the second Sunday of every month at noon. We do some fun and easy trail rides you could take a stock Tj on if that's what you purchase.
"Trail Boss" Jenn Watson
89 V8 Yj, some lift, some tires and some extras!
96 Cherokee Sport (Daves beater)
1947 CJ2-A

Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly,Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that made you smile

hillbilly

• adam lewis - appalachian american - B.O.D.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 10:52:24 pm »
hey welcome to the forum. if your talking local jeeps check out jeff daniels in harleysville, north of you they build them and might have something on the lot or know of something close. and when you get it you can come to the BIG Jeep show in july at the york fairgrounds.
build it, beat it, break it, fix it, repeat
A member of the church requests to be buried in his jeep because "It ain't never been in a hole it couldn't get out of."
   91 xj 8.5" lift -33" x 12.50 and my own additions
 94 xj (wifes) 3.5" lift and the boys 1979 cj7

HANGMAN

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 12:13:34 am »
Welcome Tom & family,
Hey you can still come to our "Annual Jeep Show" even if you don't have a Jeep by then. :)
It's a wonderful two days of Jeeps, mild to wild, civilian and military and parts and all kinds of nice people, and a super Obstacle Course custom built (within reason) for the mild to wild.
The Obstacle Course has to be constructed within 12 hours, then removed the day after the Show. (it would be neat to have a time lapse camera taking photos every 20 or so minutes of the building of the course).
Before the Show is over on Sunday people are planning for the next years Show already, how cool is that.
Hope to see you all there.
74 jeep CJ5  ( PACKMULE )
BOB BEHLER
OVER, THROUGH OR UNDER

N3IW

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 03:32:37 pm »
Tom,

Welcome and I just sent you a PM and a separate e-mail.

Chip
Chip Morgan

2000 Wrangler TJ Sport - minor lift + 1.25" BL on 33s; many, many skid plates with more to come

weispennstate

• Tom Weiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 10:48:08 am »
Thanks for the warm welcome!

I ended up getting a 99 sport with 106k on it.  Has a 2 inch lift.  Hard top.  AC components but of course doesn't work (not a huge deal).  Its in decent shape for its age.  Most important was a solid frame and low mileage engine. 

Had to fix the well known blower resistor pack.  Rear diff has a small leak, was going to change the gear oil anyway.  Also noticed that the transfer case has a leak...I think I pinpointed it to the rear retainer seal.  May need a mechanic to do that...a little beyond my comfort zone.

Chip - I wish I would have read your pm sooner.  Its a good looking rig!