Author Topic: tire question versus PA law  (Read 21811 times)

WVUFAN18

• View Profile
tire question versus PA law
« on: March 13, 2013, 09:56:15 pm »
I am happy to find a forum composed of PA jeep owners.  I am fairly new to the jeep world and have some questions concerning PA law.  My understanding is the fender has to cover the tire tread completely.  I want bigger tires and new wheels.  My question is how much bigger can I go and still be in compliance with the law?  285? 275? Is there anything I can do with wheel offset to give the tire a wider look but still have no rubbing issues and the tire under the fender?  What if I go with 18 inch wheels?  Please help!

WVUFAN18

• View Profile
Re: tire question versus PA law
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 10:50:23 pm »
sorry, guess I should have said that my jeep is a 2011 Rubicon

hillbilly

• adam lewis - appalachian american - B.O.D.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 10:06:17 am »
pa laws says you can only go one tire size bigger and 2 inch extensions on the fender flares. legally the tire is suppose to be completely under the fender. my local 5.0 puts a nickel on the side of the fender and lets it fall, if it hits the tire you get a fine or fix it ticket. but with over 75 % of the vehicles i see out there with no fenders or extra wide tire/rim its all up to johny law.
build it, beat it, break it, fix it, repeat
A member of the church requests to be buried in his jeep because "It ain't never been in a hole it couldn't get out of."
   91 xj 8.5" lift -33" x 12.50 and my own additions
 94 xj (wifes) 3.5" lift and the boys 1979 cj7

Death Wobble

• Angie Zinn - Wall St. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 11:36:19 am »
You might also have better luck passing state inspection at a place that specializes in 4x4 work, rather than a regular garage or car dealership.  The guy who installed my lift said that he's related to a cop who only pulls over guys who have massive amounts of rubber sticking out and weave in and out of traffic like nuts.
'88 XJ Limited:  4.5" ZONE lift, 32x11.5x15 BFG KM2s, JKS Quicker Discos, Kevin's Off Road rock rails.
'96 XJ Sport: 31x10.5 BFGs, 3" Rusty's lift.
Listen to Clutch.
(and your gut instincts)
CENSORSHIP IS UNAMERICAN!

pa2phx

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 04:51:51 pm »
There is definitly things you can do with the offset to move the tire out further but as you push the weight of the wheel and tires out it increases the stress the ball joints. It is a fine line.
John Michael

WVUFAN18

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 09:28:48 pm »
thanks for the replies.  Just curious what wheel/tire sizes you are running.  Do you have any stick out?  I see jeeps (and other vehicles) all the time with tires beyond the fender.  Just wondering how they get away with it.  I will be pissed to spend big $$ only to get harassed during inspection or by the local PD.  Would 275 or 285 be too wide or do I have to stick with 255?  Thanks for the tip about taking the jeep to someone who specializes in 4x4.  I just got back from Florida yesterday and they have no inspections.  The guy at the jeep shop I visited laughed when I told him about the PA requirements.  He said he installs 305s all day long.  Maybe I need to move to Florida :)

hillbilly

• adam lewis - appalachian american - B.O.D.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 09:54:13 pm »
i run 33x12.5x15 on a 4.5 backspaced wheel with bushwacker fender flares and there legal for the coverage part just not height. as far as 275 vs 285 and such. your back spacing of your rims helps adjust your coverage if you dont want to put on fender extensions, but then you have to watch rubbing issues. and as i said before johnny law decides what he wants to enforce. its the same with the door law here in pa. 90% of the law ignore it but then you have the ones who enforce everything.
build it, beat it, break it, fix it, repeat
A member of the church requests to be buried in his jeep because "It ain't never been in a hole it couldn't get out of."
   91 xj 8.5" lift -33" x 12.50 and my own additions
 94 xj (wifes) 3.5" lift and the boys 1979 cj7

HANGMAN

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 08:21:32 pm »
When inspection time comes around, I change to stock tires (Skinnies) and cheap steel rims, (you might need a spare also), remove the offroad lights on the sides up high on the windshield and my PA. Inspector is happy. If you find a PA. Inspection Station that will pass your vehicle with illegal tires on, good for you, pay the man and be on your way, we all take chances. A person that needs his PA. Inspection Licence to stay in business will most likely want correct (inside the flares anyway) tires on. I'm running 33" x 12.50" x 15" on a 74 CJ-5, with a very worn 3" suspension lift and a 3" body lift and stock rubber fender flares, never been pulled over for the tires yet. A nickle will hit the tread not just the sidewall. Been driving it since July 1981, 145,601 miles on up to May 11,1994, (when the speedo broke) and still driving it yet. Also switching the wheels is another time I get to look a the brake lining. I won't be the one paying your fine or Fix It Ticket, but I would push the margin. I see a greater percent of the modified 4x4 vehicles on the roads in PA. will have a violation of some type, (and there still running on the roads), if the stopping Officer (good evening Officer, Sir.) wants to be picky he will find something. One time long ago, going to Tremont/ Hazelton Area, (the coal region) the whole caravan got pulled over.
OH, by the way, WELCOME ABOARD WVUFAN18 ! :)
74 jeep CJ5  ( PACKMULE )
BOB BEHLER
OVER, THROUGH OR UNDER

WVUFAN18

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2013, 08:39:22 am »
thanks for the suggestions.  I would still be interested in your opinions to my question concerning 285 or 275 tres.  Is there something I can do with wheel spacing to help me out?  For example, will 285 with 4.75 backspacing stick out?  Is there some other combination that will work better?