Author Topic: Smittybuilt Rear Bumper  (Read 7247 times)

pa2phx

• View Profile
Smittybuilt Rear Bumper
« on: February 21, 2013, 03:56:43 am »
Has anyone run one of these smittybuilt rear bumpers with tire carrier? I am looking to get one and these are quite a bit cheaper than the rest so i would assume that means they are not as good. I do not have 600 to spend on a top of a line one so ia am considering risking it but would like to hear some opinions first.
John Michael

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
Re: Smittybuilt Rear Bumper
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 04:52:57 pm »
Read what you want to read but IMO "Smittybuilt" products are a waste of money. I've never had any and all I've seen are rusted out in a matter of two to three years and do so from the inside out.
A tire carrier bumper of their product would most likely have a smaller less durable swing pin...

My advise...Don't waste you money buying or your time to install it. The stuff is junk period!
Mass produced with no "QA" checks and most likely with recycled steel from China.
Do Your Duty And History Will Do You Justice...!
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...

hillbilly

• adam lewis - appalachian american - B.O.D.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 06:14:17 pm »
what kinda jeep are you putting it on. ive seen junk from all the companies. sometimes you just get crap. but ive seen many 600 bumpers dented and rotted out as well as cjeapie home builts. and if your not going to use it to its fullest then its kinda a waste to spend that much.
build it, beat it, break it, fix it, repeat
A member of the church requests to be buried in his jeep because "It ain't never been in a hole it couldn't get out of."
   91 xj 8.5" lift -33" x 12.50 and my own additions
 94 xj (wifes) 3.5" lift and the boys 1979 cj7

pa2phx

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 03:24:00 pm »
what kinda jeep are you putting it on. ive seen junk from all the companies. sometimes you just get crap. but ive seen many 600 bumpers dented and rotted out as well as cjeapie home builts. and if your not going to use it to its fullest then its kinda a waste to spend that much.

it is for a 99 wrangler. more than likely it will never see anything larger than a 33" tire on it. and i only run steel rims since they are easier to repair on the trail.
John Michael

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 05:16:14 pm »
hillbilly,

No disrespect intended, but think about what you said...

Do I buy this product for $200.00 that will only last 3-4 years...?
Do I buy this product for $475.00 that will last 15 years...?

Do the math...My numbers DO NOT represent actual figures, just an equation of potential expenses.

Workmanship, welding, and quality of steel is EVERYTHING...!
People do what they do but it's been my experience (witnessing ONLY) that going "cheap" will bite you in the ASS...!...PERIOD...!
Do Your Duty And History Will Do You Justice...!
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...

hillbilly

• adam lewis - appalachian american - B.O.D.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 05:43:07 pm »
right but considering most people only use  or own their jeep for a few years before trading in or up, what s the point in spending 3 times the price for "show". and ive been told my "cheap" smittybuilt winch wouldnt last a year, but its been 4 and used very hard from pulling logs to dragging a firetruck. and who knows how much time its been under water. yes you get what you pay for but is it worth it. besides quadratec sells it so it has to be good.
build it, beat it, break it, fix it, repeat
A member of the church requests to be buried in his jeep because "It ain't never been in a hole it couldn't get out of."
   91 xj 8.5" lift -33" x 12.50 and my own additions
 94 xj (wifes) 3.5" lift and the boys 1979 cj7

pa2phx

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 03:53:12 am »
i do agree that going cheap is a gamble. and i have seen more expensive product go to hell way to fast. But i will say this  not to likely i will be getting rid of the jeep any time soon. i have  had it since 03.
John Michael