Author Topic: Switching to a XJ  (Read 8425 times)

pa2phx

• View Profile
Switching to a XJ
« on: February 11, 2013, 03:15:37 pm »
I have been thinking of unloading the TJ for a XJ. I need the room and it seems after market parts are cheaper and easier to find for the XJ. I however know nothing about the XJ. Any suggestions on year or model i should shoot for?
John Michael

hillbilly

• adam lewis - appalachian american - B.O.D.
    • View Profile
Re: Switching to a XJ
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 06:08:39 pm »
in all honesty your best bets are the 96 - 99 four door automatics. easier to fix ,parts availability, and they are the tougher of the bunch. i excluded the 2000 and 2001 because they both have a distributorless ignition which is gremlin prone and the fact they are both low pinion front axles which are rock prone. also to be avoided if you want to go that old is anything pre 91. the late 91 to 95 are decent but have weaker axle motor transfercases. they do ride differently than a tj will, they have rear leafsprings which makes for a rougher ride. just my 2 cents
build it, beat it, break it, fix it, repeat
A member of the church requests to be buried in his jeep because "It ain't never been in a hole it couldn't get out of."
   91 xj 8.5" lift -33" x 12.50 and my own additions
 94 xj (wifes) 3.5" lift and the boys 1979 cj7

(Tattoo) Jack

• Jack Utter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 06:14:03 pm »
    Parts cheaper and easier to get for an XJ  ???  Obviously you haven't seen QuadraTec's Catalogs. The one for the TJ is at least 3x thicker. If you want to learn something about XJ's then get Eric's book http://ericsxj.com/book.htm

Good Luck...

The only way to know your limits...  is to surpass them!

Don't Shop - Adopt
   "Save Your Best Friends Life, Adopt a Rescue"
       If it's not a Dobermann, it's just a Dawg...

hillbilly

• adam lewis - appalachian american - B.O.D.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 09:32:28 pm »
barbie always did have more accessories.
build it, beat it, break it, fix it, repeat
A member of the church requests to be buried in his jeep because "It ain't never been in a hole it couldn't get out of."
   91 xj 8.5" lift -33" x 12.50 and my own additions
 94 xj (wifes) 3.5" lift and the boys 1979 cj7

Death Wobble

• Angie Zinn - Wall St. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 08:06:55 am »
I have a '88.  I put a Zone kit and shocks on it and have no issues about the ride comfort level.  Whatever parts that I didn't find in a catalog were ordered from a garage or a parts store with little difficulty.

Are you planning on doing hardcore wheeling with it, or just casual off-roading?
'88 XJ Limited:  4.5" ZONE lift, 32x11.5x15 BFG KM2s, JKS Quicker Discos, Kevin's Off Road rock rails.
'96 XJ Sport: 31x10.5 BFGs, 3" Rusty's lift.
Listen to Clutch.
(and your gut instincts)
CENSORSHIP IS UNAMERICAN!

pa2phx

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 02:15:08 pm »
I have a '88.  I put a Zone kit and shocks on it and have no issues about the ride comfort level.  Whatever parts that I didn't find in a catalog were ordered from a garage or a parts store with little difficulty.

Are you planning on doing hardcore wheeling with it, or just casual off-roading?

Most definitely casual offloading, trail riding. I am all for hardcore but don't have the time to commit to it. And I low quadratec's catalogue is thicker for the TJ but most of that stuff has less to do with offloading and more to do with accessorizing.
John Michael

Death Wobble

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 09:22:51 am »
Did you decide to keep the TJ, or are you still going XJ in the future?
'88 XJ Limited:  4.5" ZONE lift, 32x11.5x15 BFG KM2s, JKS Quicker Discos, Kevin's Off Road rock rails.
Listen to Clutch.
(and your gut instincts)

pa2phx

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2013, 04:48:38 pm »
Still up in the air. Right now I am putting some money into the TJ since it has been neglected for a while. Just little stuff. I am still window shopping for an XJ. 
John Michael

Jeepnharleymomma

• Show Chairman
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2013, 10:30:10 am »
John - Hillbilly and Tattoo Jack both drive and wheel their XJ's I would ask them any questions you have .
"Trail Boss" Jenn Watson
89 V8 Yj, some lift, some tires and some extras!
96 Cherokee Sport (Daves beater)
1947 CJ2-A

Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly,Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that made you smile

pa2phx

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2013, 03:01:59 pm »
Thanks Jenn. I will definitely defer to them when the time comes. First I have to over come my fear of letting go of the wrangler.  I am afraid I will miss it.. 
John Michael

Death Wobble

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2013, 04:11:40 pm »
I drive, wheel, and work on my XJ, too.  I also have a very knowledgable father who managed his own service stations, so don't be afraid to ask me anything. 

Letting go...if you didn't mention needing the room, I'd just say keep it and add an XJ to the stable!  Both are great off road, but you can haul more stuff in/on an XJ, if that matters.  Not to mention the coolness factor of driving the same rig as me.  ;D
Listen to Clutch.
(and your gut instincts)

pa2phx

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2013, 04:32:53 pm »
i am sure that would increase my local status. i would love to keep it and add the xj but i think my wife might get overwhelmed if there was a third jeep in the drive way. maybe i could convince her it gets the same mileage as the Camry.
John Michael