Author Topic: Can the front passenger seat be modified?  (Read 7401 times)

Angi

• View Profile
Can the front passenger seat be modified?
« on: September 02, 2012, 09:35:55 pm »
Is it possible to modify a front passenger seat for a 2 door, 2010 JK?
I want to be able to get in and out of the backseat easier -
My daughter is going to have a baby, and I have discovered that the front seats do not slide front as far as they used to. They also do not lift in the same way that my husband's old wrangler did.
Kinda funny when I bought the JK it had 3000 mi on it and I asked why would someone dump such an awesome ride, especially after he put really nice rims and tires on it? Saleman told me that the guy ended up having to put a car seat in it and had issues. Ha - I said, not a problem... no car seats in my future!!! Bummer, I now have to put a carseat in it (Karma, perhaps?), and my parts aren't as nimble as they used to be  - getting in out out of the back with a baby is going to stink.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Angi Hoffman

j.haffly

• View Profile
Re: Can the front passenger seat be modified?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 09:17:38 am »
Um....go through the driver side?
Jim "I'm Jonesing for some off-roading" Haffly

hillbilly

• adam lewis - appalachian american - B.O.D.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 09:35:06 pm »
did a bunch of checking on this and the passenger seat on the early jk was a bad design that no one wanted to touch but the later model jks were fixed with a lift and tumble , cant find anywhere that says you can swap them out, most people say like Jim and go through the driver side.
build it, beat it, break it, fix it, repeat
A member of the church requests to be buried in his jeep because "It ain't never been in a hole it couldn't get out of."
   91 xj 8.5" lift -33" x 12.50 and my own additions
 94 xj (wifes) 3.5" lift and the boys 1979 cj7

Angi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 08:26:04 pm »
Hmm.... I don't think that going through the driver's side will solve it though.
Thank you for checking though -  I will continue to try and research. I did try looking on the internet and couldn't find anything, but thought that perhaps I was not putting the right search criteria in :-\
Would have liked to have had a little more space to stand in while putting a baby in the carseat & I remembered how the seats in his old wrangler worked.
Angi Hoffman

locojipr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 07:45:51 am »
Angi,  I work in sales at a Jeep dealership,  I'll check with our parts department and see if the newer flip style will fit.  If so you could swap slider mechanism and problem solved!  I'll let you know. 
Tim McClincy ---2007 JK 2door  Wrangler... Zone 3" lift...33" Hankook Dynapro MT...MB Chaos wheels...4.10s....XRC8 winch

2012 Unlimited JK Wrangler---32" Maxxis BigHorn tires---Black Aluminum Procomp wheels- (wife's daily driver)

locojipr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 02:52:40 pm »
I did some checking and it bolts up the same place,  so just buy a new mechanism and problem solved!
Tim McClincy ---2007 JK 2door  Wrangler... Zone 3" lift...33" Hankook Dynapro MT...MB Chaos wheels...4.10s....XRC8 winch

2012 Unlimited JK Wrangler---32" Maxxis BigHorn tires---Black Aluminum Procomp wheels- (wife's daily driver)

hillbilly

• adam lewis - appalachian american - B.O.D.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 04:12:12 pm »
not that easy the newer ones have a different style dash to accomodate the tilt and lift feature.
build it, beat it, break it, fix it, repeat
A member of the church requests to be buried in his jeep because "It ain't never been in a hole it couldn't get out of."
   91 xj 8.5" lift -33" x 12.50 and my own additions
 94 xj (wifes) 3.5" lift and the boys 1979 cj7

Angi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 07:16:38 pm »
Much thanks to you both - it's never easy, is it?   :D
Angi Hoffman