Author Topic: Ok....some research and here is what I'm thinking....  (Read 8953 times)

j.haffly

• View Profile
Ok....some research and here is what I'm thinking....
« on: July 24, 2012, 12:42:13 pm »
D44 Case, 4.88 gears, new axles, locker....

Same set up front and rear....am I missing anything?

Jim
Jim "I'm Jonesing for some off-roading" Haffly

j.haffly

• View Profile
Re: Ok....some research and here is what I'm thinking....
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 01:11:01 pm »
Ok...no locker in the rear....If I use the D30/D35 setup, do I still run the risk of twisting the axle with the 4.88's, more so in the front with the locker....?

Jim

Mike D

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 03:22:26 pm »
I would at least upgrade the shafts if you are running 33 or bigger and plan to wheel it in the rocks (ask Chris B. what rocks do to shafts).  I have seen D35's with lockers last but a 4 banger will snap shafts!!!!.    There is an article in the Sep four wheeler mag about build or buy. I have seen used Rubicon D44 for sale and new D44 for under $3000.00 so if you have the cash build bigger then you need. http://www.quadratec.com/products/52461_100X_PG.htm

hillbilly

• adam lewis - appalachian american - B.O.D.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 03:26:36 pm »
rip em out and shove in some rockwells.  ;D
build it, beat it, break it, fix it, repeat
A member of the church requests to be buried in his jeep because "It ain't never been in a hole it couldn't get out of."
   91 xj 8.5" lift -33" x 12.50 and my own additions
 94 xj (wifes) 3.5" lift and the boys 1979 cj7

j.haffly

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 03:48:36 pm »
I would at least upgrade the shafts if you are running 33 or bigger and plan to wheel it in the rocks (ask Chris B. what rocks do to shafts).  I have seen D35's with lockers last but a 4 banger will snap shafts!!!!.    There is an article in the Sep four wheeler mag about build or buy. I have seen used Rubicon D44 for sale and new D44 for under $3000.00 so if you have the cash build bigger then you need. http://www.quadratec.com/products/52461_100X_PG.htm

Hmmmm...I'm thinking open in the rear with a locker in the front....staying off the skinny peddle of course!  I'm just trying to keep it inexpensive....hence trying to use the same carriers....since the 4.88's will fit the carriers....

j.haffly

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 04:06:53 pm »
rip em out and shove in some rockwells.  ;D

Rockwells?!?!?!?  aint those like military?!?!?

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 04:47:55 pm »
Locking up a 4 banger is asking for "carnage" Jim...JMO...I've seen it all too damn many times.

Consider looking into a newer Jeep on a trade.

Rockwells..."Hillbilly" are to totally out of your mind...?...They are 1 ton axles man...NO FREAKIN' WAY in a 4 banger
Do Your Duty And History Will Do You Justice...!
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...

j.haffly

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 09:06:59 am »
Locking up a 4 banger is asking for "carnage" Jim...JMO...I've seen it all too damn many times.

Consider looking into a newer Jeep on a trade.

Rockwells..."Hillbilly" are to totally out of your mind...?...They are 1 ton axles man...NO FREAKIN' WAY in a 4 banger

Rick....a newer Jeep just aint an option to be honest and wont be for a long time....maybe just put in the 4.88's and keep it open....as for the locker, I was thinking along the lines of an automatic locker, like the Aussie Locker....  http://www.aussielocker.com/

hillbilly

• adam lewis - appalachian american - B.O.D.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2012, 08:27:46 pm »
i got an aussie up front and what a difference, good thing.  the only issue ive ever had, and mind you you ive sunk the jeep through lake christy, buried it in snow and wheeled it like it should, is if you hit a good patch of ice and the brakes with one wheel still rolling and one sliding it thinks youre losing traction and tries to engage with a rather unearthy sound. but thats with all auto lockers, i just happen to have an aussie. and for the price comparison well worth it.
build it, beat it, break it, fix it, repeat
A member of the church requests to be buried in his jeep because "It ain't never been in a hole it couldn't get out of."
   91 xj 8.5" lift -33" x 12.50 and my own additions
 94 xj (wifes) 3.5" lift and the boys 1979 cj7

j.haffly

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2012, 09:13:57 am »
Thanks Hillbilly!!!  Good info there.