Author Topic: Leaky Shock  (Read 7207 times)

Colli

• Newsletter Editor
    • View Profile
Leaky Shock
« on: July 27, 2012, 12:46:18 pm »
Just got to Maine for vacation and when I pulled the Jeep off the trailer I noticed one of the rear shocks (BDS 9500) is leaking oil pretty good. I'm not anywhere that I can get a replacement right now, but I hauled the Jeep all the way up here to take it out and play with it. Will I risk hurting anything else or getting stranded if I run the Jeep with the bad shock or will it just not ride or perform as well?
Colli Leighton
1967 Jeepster Commando Pick Up - work in progress
2000 TJ - trail rig (ample lift, 35" MTZs, 8.8 rear, 4.88 gears, 12 different soft tops)
2012 Ram 2500HD Crew Cab - tow rig
2015 Cherokee - grocery getter
Trailer - to tow my Jeeps around

Death Wobble

• Angie Zinn - Wall St. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Leaky Shock
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 06:34:11 pm »
Your ride might get a little bouncier, but it won't hurt the Jeep.  Most people don't even know that they're riding on bad shocks 'cause they usually wear out gradually.  My old ones were toast, and I rode around on them for a long time.
'88 XJ Limited:  4.5" ZONE lift, 32x11.5x15 BFG KM2s, JKS Quicker Discos, Kevin's Off Road rock rails.
'96 XJ Sport: 31x10.5 BFGs, 3" Rusty's lift.
Listen to Clutch.
(and your gut instincts)
CENSORSHIP IS UNAMERICAN!

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 11:01:15 pm »
You'll be fine Colli....Run it around and run it like it should be. You and the Jeep will be fine. Replace when home.
Do Your Duty And History Will Do You Justice...!
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...

(Tattoo) Jack

• Jack Utter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 12:00:45 am »

I concur with the above comments, you'll be fine especially since you're not driving it home. It was probably damaged when u played on the Big Rocks on the O Course (you were in Flex heaven).

From my limited experience, I've found that shocks can take being stretched beyond their limit better then bottoming out. U might need to install longer bump stops to keep this from happening again. Just a thought...

Tatt

The only way to know your limits...  is to surpass them!

Don't Shop - Adopt
   "Save Your Best Friends Life, Adopt a Rescue"
       If it's not a Dobermann, it's just a Dawg...

Colli

• Newsletter Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 09:04:10 am »
Thanks all. That's what I thought. The shocks are 4 years old and they have been abused jus a little.  ;D How long should shocks last?
Colli Leighton
1967 Jeepster Commando Pick Up - work in progress
2000 TJ - trail rig (ample lift, 35" MTZs, 8.8 rear, 4.88 gears, 12 different soft tops)
2012 Ram 2500HD Crew Cab - tow rig
2015 Cherokee - grocery getter
Trailer - to tow my Jeeps around

(Tattoo) Jack

• Jack Utter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 07:50:47 am »

How long will they last?...

There's way too many variables, on how they're used, to give ya a good answer. Sorta like "how much gas would your jeep burn in 2 weeks"? You would have to take into account the type of road (flat, smooth, up hill or dn, etc.), the quality of the gas, tire pressure, etc. Do ya see what I mean?

To get an  somewhat accurate idea of how long, and short, ur shocks need to be,  you should REALLY Flex (compress) the corners until you hit the bump stops or ur tires are hitting something (which means ur bump stops are too short), example right front and left rear, (without shocks or at least not attached @ the bottom) to able to measure the distance between shock mount bolt holes on ur up-travel. As extreme flex as you can get, which might require you going to a shop (or to do this @ home you can remove the springs from the ends you're going to compress). Now measure the distance between the shock mount bolt holes and get a shock that will compress at least one inch shorter then this distance to insure you won't bottom 'em out. Now the opposite sides you'll want to measure again, but this time you're looking for the maximum amount of droop without stretching ur brake lines or having ur springs fall out. After ur springs loose contact with the frame they no longer are exerting downward pressure and hence a loss of meaningful traction. If you find you can articulate downward to the point where ur springs can easily fall out then you'll need to consider installing Limiting Straps. Once you find ur downward travel distance, you would get a shock that would extend at least one inch farther to insure that it won't get stretch too far.

You can now look up, or call, a reputable off road shock manufacture to get the correct length (up & dn) shocks or make adjustments to your articulation to accommodate the shocks that are available. Of course now you get into the realm of what kind of driving are you gonna be doing, rock crawling, road racing, highway, etc., to find the right type of valving...   LOL, and you thought this was gonna be easy.  :D

Hope this helps. And I'm sure there are more ideas, comments, out there for ur consideration.

Best, Tatt  8)

The only way to know your limits...  is to surpass them!

Don't Shop - Adopt
   "Save Your Best Friends Life, Adopt a Rescue"
       If it's not a Dobermann, it's just a Dawg...