Author Topic: swapping motors  (Read 5585 times)

hillbilly

• adam lewis - appalachian american - B.O.D.
    • View Profile
swapping motors
« on: July 26, 2012, 08:03:44 pm »
ok heres a thinker for ya. i have found a 2001 xj motor 100,000 miles but its a distributorless ignition. can i yank the distridutorless system out drop a distributor in it and using all my sensor and such drop it in my 91 xj. i know the intake manifold is a little different but the block and mechanicals should be the same, right?
build it, beat it, break it, fix it, repeat
A member of the church requests to be buried in his jeep because "It ain't never been in a hole it couldn't get out of."
   91 xj 8.5" lift -33" x 12.50 and my own additions
 94 xj (wifes) 3.5" lift and the boys 1979 cj7

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
Re: swapping motors
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 10:59:30 pm »
I think you're right Adam  :P
Do Your Duty And History Will Do You Justice...!
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...

(Tattoo) Jack

• Jack Utter
    • View Profile
Re: swapping motors
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 12:27:05 am »

FYI:    Be careful, I read an article a few years ago and, if I remember correctly, the '00-01 have a reputation for cracked heads (yeah, I know... I just bought a 2k XJ). I think they opened up the water jacket channels near the #1 and #6 cylinders. I think there is also some minor bracket changes too. Of course, I assume you've also posted on one of the XJ forums.

Good luck...

The only way to know your limits...  is to surpass them!

Don't Shop - Adopt
   "Save Your Best Friends Life, Adopt a Rescue"
       If it's not a Dobermann, it's just a Dawg...