Author Topic: Wheelin on Assateague  (Read 10057 times)

locojipr

• View Profile
Wheelin on Assateague
« on: June 12, 2012, 10:03:12 am »
I'm here for a week to camp and wheel.  Is there anyone who has been here and wheeled before?  Is there any place I should check out while here?  Let me know I'm heading out now with my osv pass to check the coast out!
Tim McClincy ---2007 JK 2door  Wrangler... Zone 3" lift...33" Hankook Dynapro MT...MB Chaos wheels...4.10s....XRC8 winch

2012 Unlimited JK Wrangler---32" Maxxis BigHorn tires---Black Aluminum Procomp wheels- (wife's daily driver)

squazz

• Flexable
    • View Profile
Re: Wheelin on Assateague
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 10:45:04 am »
take pics Id like to check it out some day
98 Zj                    93 Zj                        94 Zj         
  5.9L 46re              4.0L Ax-15          Gone But not forgotten
1"+ Up County    5.5" IRO front          
                        Clayton rear long arms

Ż\[°_o]/Ż Charles Howard

Colli

• Newsletter Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 01:36:14 pm »
How much did you cost to get a OSV pass? The last time I checked you could only get a yearly pass and it was not cheap.
Colli Leighton
1967 Jeepster Commando Pick Up - work in progress
2000 TJ - trail rig (ample lift, 35" MTZs, 8.8 rear, 4.88 gears, 12 different soft tops)
2012 Ram 2500HD Crew Cab - tow rig
2015 Cherokee - grocery getter
Trailer - to tow my Jeeps around

Ron Allen

• PA Jeeps B.O.D.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 05:46:29 pm »
I have wheeled there for years and the last pass I bought was 90$. Please read and abide by the rules that were given to you with the pass as the rangers patrol regularly. There are not any places on the beach better than any others just enjoy the scenery and wildlife and on hot days watch your temp gauge.
03 Rubicon Way Modified
44 MB WWII restored
46 CJ2A Locked,injected,Ready
13 F350 Tow Rig

locojipr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 06:38:07 pm »
Yeah Colli it did cost $90 but I'm in OC couple times a year so def worth it for me.  I was out today and only seen like 4 other vehicles.  Its 17 miles of deep sand, water, hard packed ruts, and some of the prettiest beach scenery.  Def not hard core but another notch on the places I've wheeled!
Tim McClincy ---2007 JK 2door  Wrangler... Zone 3" lift...33" Hankook Dynapro MT...MB Chaos wheels...4.10s....XRC8 winch

2012 Unlimited JK Wrangler---32" Maxxis BigHorn tires---Black Aluminum Procomp wheels- (wife's daily driver)

HANGMAN

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 11:13:39 pm »
ASSATEAGUE = KEEP A LIGHT FOOT ON THE GAS , IF YOU START TO DIG IN , GET OFF THE GAS.
THE TIRES GO STRIGHT DOWN TILL THE AXELS HIT SAND , THE BIGGER THE TIRE THE DEEPER THE HOLE ,THEN THE FUN STARTS .
ENJOY THE BEACH  AND AS RON NOTED ABOVE , WATCH THE TEMPERATURE GAUGE . OH THE MEMORYS OF ASSATEAGUE . 8)
74 jeep CJ5  ( PACKMULE )
BOB BEHLER
OVER, THROUGH OR UNDER

Death Wobble

• Angie Zinn - Wall St. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 09:16:12 am »
You can always hitch up to a wild pony if you get stuck!  ;)  Oh, and most of all--Take insect repellant.  The biting flies and mosquitoes show no mercy!
'88 XJ Limited:  4.5" ZONE lift, 32x11.5x15 BFG KM2s, JKS Quicker Discos, Kevin's Off Road rock rails.
'96 XJ Sport: 31x10.5 BFGs, 3" Rusty's lift.
Listen to Clutch.
(and your gut instincts)
CENSORSHIP IS UNAMERICAN!

Jeremy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 02:15:39 pm »
My old boyscout troop went down for a week,  after the fourth day we could not stand the bugs anymore and came home early..   The Green flys are horrible.  I do suggest some sand boards to help dig out.  If you tent camp,  instead of tent stakes bury 1 gal. milk jugs full of sand and tie off to the loops your tent stakes would normally go with those cheap $1 'binners.  It will keep your tent from blowing down the beach like a certain church group next to our camp site did.  (pretty amusing)   
Jeremy Meehan

Death Wobble

• Angie Zinn - Wall St. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 02:22:53 pm »
Went down to Assateague last week and took some photos of the horses at sunset...no bug bites, thankfully!  Where I stay, the only vehicles allowed on the beach are the municipal vehicles.
'88 XJ Limited:  4.5" ZONE lift, 32x11.5x15 BFG KM2s, JKS Quicker Discos, Kevin's Off Road rock rails.
'96 XJ Sport: 31x10.5 BFGs, 3" Rusty's lift.
Listen to Clutch.
(and your gut instincts)
CENSORSHIP IS UNAMERICAN!