Author Topic: 4.2 (1989) valve cover  (Read 5619 times)

BennyLT

• View Profile
4.2 (1989) valve cover
« on: April 30, 2012, 11:48:02 am »
My plastic valve cover seems to be warped.  leaks badly on the carb side. (the side that has no bolts)
I replaced the cork gasket used sealent, etc.  But it still leaks enough that I want to fix it ASAP.

As a demonstration.  when the cover is installed an torqued down properly the gasket in the leaking area can slide in and out freely from under the cover, so it is not touching at all. 

I would prefer to replace it with a metal cover if I can.  but they all I can find for sale seem to say they are for 4.2s only up to 1986.  Mine is an 89. 

I see the older ones look like they bold down around the outside (which seems the most logical).  Not just the 2 bolts on top, and one on each end. 

My question is....  Can I use one of  the older metal ones?  I can drill and tap holes if I need to.  I just want to be sure it will clear all the rockers and fit snug on the head?   I assume it would make the most sense to drill the cover to accept the existing mounting studs instead of having to drill and tap holes in the head. 

Or are there any metal covers already compatible with my 1989?

I can't be the only one..
89 YJ - work in process
4.2L - bored 60 over - tow cam
Jasper auto trans
Still needs some things to be done before she is ready for the road/trail.

Rusty XJ

• Rickie Wilson Jr.
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Re: 4.2 (1989) valve cover
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 02:42:50 pm »
So the 89 4.2L has only 4 bolts holding it down? I was going to suggest trying a newer 4.0L metal one but I don't think that will work since it's got bolts all the way around. I don't know if getting a felpro rubber gasket would help at all but I know on 4.0L the cork stuff always seems to leak after doing it.
Rick Wilson Jr.
Is that DEATH WOBBLE or did we just enter Pennsylvania?
'95 XJ 2 Door, 4.0, 5spd, 7" random lift, 35x12.5 BFG ATs, 4.56 gears, Dana 44 Mini-spooled, Dana 30 w/ Detroit Truetrac and manual hubs, Bushwacker Flares, Warrior Front Bumper, JCR Rear Bumper, etc etc...

CJ8Ted

• View Profile
Re: 4.2 (1989) valve cover
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 07:17:30 pm »
I have an 1985 4.2 and I use RTV to "make a gasket". When I first got the Jeep I just used enough to make it seal and it lasted about five years. A couple years ago I redid it and I used a bit more RTV, not to the point that is was globbed everywear but I din't skimp. As for the bolts, IIRC  I have two in the cover itself and some of the head bolts (studs)  have large flat washers and nuts to hold the edges of the cover down. None of them can be over torqued.

Ted   
85' CJ8 on 33s w/ 4.56s