Author Topic: T150 rebuild stuck  (Read 6244 times)

CRJeepin

• View Profile
T150 rebuild stuck
« on: December 29, 2011, 10:04:13 pm »
Workin on the T150 for my '79 CJ-5 project and can't get the damn thing back together.  Stuck at trying to seat the output bearing housing and the clutch shaft bearing into the case.  They both will seat but only one at a time....hammer one in, other one pops out.  Like the mainshaft is 1/4" too long or something, drivin me crazy!

Have had the mainshaft back out to check everything, I know the dogs in the shift rings need to line up with the notches on the syncros, that was causing part of the problem but now everything's lined up properly and still can't seem to make it work right.

Thinkin about taking it to a shop to let somebody else take a shot at it, is there any trans shop in York that would be good workin on older stuff? 

It's probably something stupid that I've missed, or just a trick I don't know about....the factory manual just says "seat with a rawhide mallet" but there's definitely something else to it!

Thanks for any advice

Chris

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
Re: T150 rebuild stuck
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 12:41:48 am »
Check your email...Assembly instructions sent your way.
Do Your Duty And History Will Do You Justice...!
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...

CRJeepin

• View Profile
Re: T150 rebuild stuck
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 01:07:13 am »
Thanks Rick!

Think I may have got it figured out -- turns out I had one of the syncro assemblies (the fixed portion) on backwards, it looked the same on both sides but there's actually a right (and wrong) orientation to it, I had it backwards which was spacing out the mainshaft overall length by about 1/4".  I flipped it around and think that should do it, the line diagram exploded parts in the FSM are really tough to see.  The instructions you sent look the same as I have in the FSM, so they're good directions but was my own screwup holding me back on this one!

Thanks again
Chris