Author Topic: Air Compressor & air tool recommendations  (Read 10599 times)

peter84

• View Profile
Air Compressor & air tool recommendations
« on: November 29, 2011, 05:28:18 pm »
I am looking to get an air compressor and a few air tools (1/2" impact wrench, ratchet wrench, cut-off wheel) for my garage. Any recommendations as to products to consider would be appreciated.
Peter
Peter Caddick
2006 TJ - 4" Zone Offroad Products lift, 33x10.50x15 BFG A/T, 6" Bushwaker flares, Bestop Tyre Carrier, Skid Row engine and fuel tank skid plates, A to Z Rocker Guards, SYE, BDS belly up pan
2012 Patriot 4x4 Sport
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 V6
2015 Cherokee Latitude 4x4 V6

Death Wobble

• Angie Zinn - Wall St. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Air Compressor & air tool recommendations
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 06:31:58 pm »
If you want a good compressor that won't lose power in the middle of your wrenching or spray painting job, get a decent sized one. A 3 HP 60 gal. 135 psi belt drive electric upright would be a good model.  They sell them at Home Depot, Lowes, Tractor Supply.  I have one that size as well as a smaller one, and the smaller one has limited uses and runs out of air pressure quickly. 
'88 XJ Limited:  4.5" ZONE lift, 32x11.5x15 BFG KM2s, JKS Quicker Discos, Kevin's Off Road rock rails.
'96 XJ Sport: 31x10.5 BFGs, 3" Rusty's lift.
Listen to Clutch.
(and your gut instincts)
CENSORSHIP IS UNAMERICAN!

hillbilly

• adam lewis - appalachian american - B.O.D.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 06:36:59 pm »
 all this information is just in my opinion.              it depends alot on what and how hard youre going to use the tools for. the pancake air compressors are nice and small and about worthless for continuous use. as far as air tools all of mine are harbor freight and yse they break, they all break no matter what brand but harbor freight dont argue about it. so they are my choice and as for an a.c. i have a campbell hausfield i picked up at tractor supply as a scratch and dent model. its a 30 gallon and does well for most applications except for heavy grinding and sand blasting. just remember to oil them and have an air/water seperator. the hardest part ive found out is the airline materials, pvc is cheap but dont roll in the winter and rubber just doesnt seem to last. and dont cheap out on the impact gun the bigger the better, because thats the tool youre going to grab when the bolts dont move.  ;)
build it, beat it, break it, fix it, repeat
A member of the church requests to be buried in his jeep because "It ain't never been in a hole it couldn't get out of."
   91 xj 8.5" lift -33" x 12.50 and my own additions
 94 xj (wifes) 3.5" lift and the boys 1979 cj7

peter84

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 08:45:08 pm »
Thanks for the replies. My thoughts thus far are for a vertical compressor, 2hp and 12 to 20 gallon. This will be for occasional weekend maintenance use. Interesting comments about Harbor Freight - I was thinking about a Craftsman compressor until I read some bad reviews on the Sears website.
Peter Caddick
2006 TJ - 4" Zone Offroad Products lift, 33x10.50x15 BFG A/T, 6" Bushwaker flares, Bestop Tyre Carrier, Skid Row engine and fuel tank skid plates, A to Z Rocker Guards, SYE, BDS belly up pan
2012 Patriot 4x4 Sport

Sparky09

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 10:14:37 am »
I have a Craftsman Professional   1.8 Hp  25 Gallon  150 PSI   horizontal portable one that I take everywhere and it works great.   I grind with it and have sprayed 4 entire automobiles with it.  The compressor has no trouble keeping up to the task.  I have had no trouble with this compressor and I have had it it for about 5 years.  As far as tools go I have mostly Ingersal Rand and a couple Harbor Freight tools.
Mark
1985 CJ-7 -  Frame Off, 4 inch lift  33 inch tires
1946 CJ2A - Waiting to be started

(Tattoo) Jack

• Jack Utter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 10:18:26 am »
    Those are pretty good answers, but... your question could be likened to "what kind of Computer should I get?" Of course, that would depend on what kind of Software/Programs you plan on running, right? Do ya see what I mean? You first NEED to find out what kind of power tools you plan on running, i.e., what their AIR requirements are. THAT will dictate what size (out put) you need to get.

When you did your lift, at the Show, you used my compressor, didn't you? Well, mine is a Cambell Hausfeld (MADE IN THE USA!! unlike (most) of the Chinese Craftsman brands, YES, I have a Chinese floor jack from Sears), it's a 5 HP 13 Gal "Oil Free" (which is important!)  How did it work for you? It does "good" (NOT great) as a general maintainace compressor. It does run low on pressure on really hard to loosen bolts or using an air chisel. BUT... If I were to buy one again I'd get an "oiled" one instead of those NOISY "Oil Free"... did I mention they are LOUD!!  You probably don't need that much HP, but I would recommend a larger tank. 20 should be large enough.

I was just looking at prices  :o  OMG, I believe they went up a TAD. I believe I found mine (on sale) about 5 years ago for less then $300. As mentioned earlier, if I were to do it again, I'd get one with a 20-26 gal tank, HP ? not sure, maybe 3 or so. It would depend on the SCFM rating.

I don't know if you have already gotten tools, but an Air Ratchet is a MUST (best $$ I've ever spent), and DO NOT get an Impact Wrench with anything less then 600 ft lbs of torque (reverse), in fact, you should try and get more. BUT These eat up tons of air.

This is just my experience and, as always, you mileage will vary...  :D

Jack

The only way to know your limits...  is to surpass them!

Don't Shop - Adopt
   "Save Your Best Friends Life, Adopt a Rescue"
       If it's not a Dobermann, it's just a Dawg...

peter84

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 07:30:32 pm »
At this time I have not purchased a compressor or air tools. I am leaning toward a Cambell Hausfeld compressor, ideally 20 gallon tank 2.5hp. I am enjoying doing the research before placing my order with Santa..... Ho Ho Ho.
Peter Caddick
2012 Patriot 4x4 Sport

(Tattoo) Jack

• Jack Utter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 03:55:35 am »

FYI: I also purchased an Ingersoll Rand (USA assembled) impact gun, 600 ft lbs of torque (reverse) and, if I remember, I got it a lot cheaper (ya just got to really hunt around online) then most of the Chinese made ones that only have 400 or so ft lbs.  600 ft lbs is the minimum I recommend.

Jack
The only way to know your limits...  is to surpass them!

Don't Shop - Adopt
   "Save Your Best Friends Life, Adopt a Rescue"
       If it's not a Dobermann, it's just a Dawg...

Death Wobble

• Angie Zinn - Wall St. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 12:09:17 pm »
My main impact tool is an Ingersoll-Rand, also.  The other is Chinese, and came with a whole kit full of accessories.  My small compressor is a Kobalt, and the larger one is an industrial Kellogg-American from the '60s, so there's a good testimony to the quality of that brand! (IF you need an industrial compressor, that is).
'88 XJ Limited:  4.5" ZONE lift, 32x11.5x15 BFG KM2s, JKS Quicker Discos, Kevin's Off Road rock rails.
'96 XJ Sport: 31x10.5 BFGs, 3" Rusty's lift.
Listen to Clutch.
(and your gut instincts)
CENSORSHIP IS UNAMERICAN!

Jeremy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 01:44:55 pm »
Mine is a upright 30 Gallon Cambell Hausfeld that I got at home Depot 6-7 years ago.  It is loud and it has a draw that will once in a while throw a light duty circuit breaker (120amp)  BUT the only issue I have has is the brass supply line from the compressor to the holding tank wore through.  CH had a repair kit out to me with everything needed to service and repair my compressor for a reasonable cost with in a weeks time.  That is a big plus,  being able to fix it if you have too.  Get the biggest shop compressor you can, once you start with air tools you will never look back.  I blew the seals out of most of my CH air tools and started with IR as replacements.   Definately get a oil/ moisture trap this is REALLY important if you are going to paint. 
Jeremy Meehan

ddechri

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2011, 09:06:00 pm »
Peter,

I got a Makita 4-5 gal last year as a gift. It has an oil sump, and it is really unbelievably quiet. It doesn't put out air like the York compressor on my CJ, but for general stuff it is adequate. It's compact too, which I liked.

- Dave
Dave DeChristopher
'79 CJ-7: 4.0L, T18, bronco geared Dana 20, D30/D44 (locked), Warn 8274
'60 Willys PU: IH 304 V8, wide T19, Dana 18, OD, PTO Winch, SOA D44/D53(Power Lock) w/4.27's, 33's,
'68 CJ5 - Dauntless, SM420 (project)
'98 Dodge Ram 2500 12V CTD QC LWB
"Where ever I go, there's I AM"