Author Topic: Colli Goes Commando  (Read 54886 times)

Colli

• Newsletter Editor
    • View Profile
Colli Goes Commando
« on: October 29, 2011, 02:27:26 pm »
As I posted in the General Discussion section, I just bought a 1967 Jeepster Commando Pickup that I found at a farm near my house. It only has 14,848 miles on it and it runs and drives. It's pretty complete but it needs some TLC. Here are some pictures from the day I brought it home:

As it sat on the farm:

Loaded on the trailer to come home:

At home in my driveway:

Tucked into the garage:

This will be a slow work in progress and I'm not 100% sure yet how far I am going to go with restoration, but I definitely want to bring it back to life and get it back on the road. I'll post updates as progress is made.
Colli Leighton
1967 Jeepster Commando Pick Up - work in progress
2000 TJ - trail rig (ample lift, 35" MTZs, 8.8 rear, 4.88 gears, 12 different soft tops)
2012 Ram 2500HD Crew Cab - tow rig
2015 Cherokee - grocery getter
Trailer - to tow my Jeeps around

Colli

• Newsletter Editor
    • View Profile
Re: Colli Goes Commando
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 02:36:22 pm »
There hasn't really been much progress, but this was kind of exciting for me.... I got the official title in the mail yesterday!!  ;D Now I really feel like she's mine!

I went ahead and copied the stuff from my post in the General Discussion section on what I have done since I picked it up last weekend:

I started it up in the garage and listened to it purr. Click on the image below to listen for yourself:

I sat in it for a while and looked at it a lot.
I looked up the paint code.
I looked up where to buy parts online.
I made a list of stuff I want to buy.
I ordered a service manual.

Oh, and I made arrangements to have a guy I know (nobody you know) work on the mechanical stuff. I don't have the knowledge or tools to do anything myself so I hired a trusted friend and I'm going to take it to his garage so he can work on it over the winter. I am planning on going over when I can to help so I can be involved in the process and hopefully get my hands dirty and learn some stuff!
Colli Leighton
2000 TJ - trail rig (ample lift, 35" MTZs, 8.8 rear, 4.88 gears, 12 different soft tops)

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 02:40:21 pm »
I like it Coli...You'll need to contact Zach Heisey (Z&M Jeeps) when your needing any parts.
He's the Full Size, Kaiser Jeep parts man.
I'd provide his number but I lost my phone out in the snow somewhere.
Just "google" Z&M Jeeps

Congrats and Good Luck
Do Your Duty And History Will Do You Justice...!
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...

Colli

• Newsletter Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 02:46:41 pm »
Thanks Rick. Yep, I know Zach and I already have his website bookmarked for future purchases.

Here's another sound byte of the engine running: (click on the image)

Colli Leighton

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 04:17:02 pm »
Restore that Jeep and NEVER take it on a trail ride. You have a GEM.
Do Your Duty And History Will Do You Justice...!
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...

Jeepnharleymomma

• Show Chairman
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2011, 09:57:14 pm »
lol there was two days of debates up in the woods by the campfire about this jeep..........a bunch of us were gonna fight to see who got it first if she didnt
"Trail Boss" Jenn Watson
89 V8 Yj, some lift, some tires and some extras!
96 Cherokee Sport (Daves beater)
1947 CJ2-A

Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly,Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that made you smile

Colli

• Newsletter Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2011, 09:45:16 pm »
Loaded it on the trailer and dropped it off at my buddy's house to start working on it. Unfortunately I have to go out of town for a couple weeks so he is going to start taking things apart while I am gone. The plan is to take everything apart. I'll report on the progress when I get back.

PS - I got to drive it... even if just on and off the trailer and in and out of garages... it was cool!!!!   ;D
Colli Leighton

Colli

• Newsletter Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 09:08:50 pm »
Okay - disassembly is just about done. Just need to take off the bumpers, fenders, and tub. The floor was a little rougher than I thought. In fact, the guy had welded an old Coca Cola sign over the driver's side floor pan to keep it together. Nice. Here's what it looks like now:

The good news is I found a guy real close by that has 3 different parts Commandos. He even has a tub that has complete usable floors. So between these two tubs, and all the other parts this guy has, I should have everything I need:

Colli Leighton

cj5guy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011, 08:23:13 pm »
Boy this brings back memories of my restoration job.  You are moving right along with it . . . And I'm with Jen, I was in line to snatch it up if you didn't (I'm sure there was quite a few of us).  Keep those pictures coming Colli!
Bryan Baker
1979 CJ-5 Silver Anniversary Edition restored to stock

2006 TJ Rubicon: 5.5" Rubicon long arm lift w/1" body lift, 37" MT MTZ on 17" Black Rock rims, Warn PowerPlant winch, Rock Hard front & rear bumpers & skids, Hi Line rock sliders

hillbilly

• adam lewis - appalachian american - B.O.D.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2011, 09:05:59 pm »
looks good, some day well have to put the boys resto pics up, so did you keep the coca cola sign for memorabilia. ;D
build it, beat it, break it, fix it, repeat
A member of the church requests to be buried in his jeep because "It ain't never been in a hole it couldn't get out of."
   91 xj 8.5" lift -33" x 12.50 and my own additions
 94 xj (wifes) 3.5" lift and the boys 1979 cj7

Colli

• Newsletter Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2011, 03:24:11 pm »
Yep, I still have the Coke sign. That would probably be worth some money if it didn't have holes in it. I might clean it up and hang it in my garage as a memento.  :D
Colli Leighton

wheelie

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2011, 12:56:14 pm »
  Was this Commando found at a southern York Co. orchard? Stewartstown area, roughly?

Colli

• Newsletter Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2011, 01:12:42 pm »
  Was this Commando found at a southern York Co. orchard? Stewartstown area, roughly?

Yes, exactly. Blevins Fruit Farm - Stewartstown, PA.
Colli Leighton

Colli

• Newsletter Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2011, 08:24:12 pm »
Went down to check out the progress today and get my hands dirty helping to finish disassembly. Spent a few hours removing the windows from the doors, and then removing the glass from its chrome frame. That was quite a challenge! We also removed all the door hardware, the seat belts, antenna, tail lights, and a few other odds and ends. Basically gathering up all the metal parts to take them off to a refinishing shop. Then we took the seats off the frames and gathered up all the interior parts to take off to an auto interior restoration shop. We also removed the transfer case cover. After the holidays we're finally going to lift the tub off the frame and take everything off to the body shop. Here are a few pictures from today:

Windows removed:

Parts awaiting restoration:

Getting my hands dirty:

Seats and other parts (in the box, and window frames next to box) ready to be sent out for restoration:

The coke sign that was serving as the driver's side floor: (note the bolt holes where the seat was mounted)
Colli Leighton

emgraz

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2011, 09:14:46 am »
that's so awesome colli.... what an accomplishment it will be when done...!!!

erica
Matt and Erica Graziosi

2000 Sahara with 3" BDS suspension lift, BFG mud terrain 33's, jks disconnects, Rhino Lining...(we're starting the JEEP mantra, we're emptying our pockets......)  ***Just added ARB Rocker Guards***