Author Topic: xj 4low  (Read 13318 times)

Merciful2u

• View Profile
xj 4low
« on: September 23, 2011, 12:20:45 am »
I just bought a 99 xj Sport and was testing low 4x4 in my yard and it doesnt crawl like my wrangler did. I had it in drive. Should I have put it in 1st gear for the crawl effect or might there be something wrong ?
Doug Ferris   99 XJ Sport

hillbilly

• adam lewis - appalachian american - B.O.D.
    • View Profile
Re: xj 4low
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 08:46:19 am »
what year wrangler was it, some come with different ratios, and with different axle ratios that could be youre difference. wether it is in 1st or drive doesnt matter as they all start in 1st and you you to go fast enouhg to make it shift. but im betting they just have different gear ratios and you have to remember an xj has a longer wheel base and doesnt have to work as had at some obstacles.
build it, beat it, break it, fix it, repeat
A member of the church requests to be buried in his jeep because "It ain't never been in a hole it couldn't get out of."
   91 xj 8.5" lift -33" x 12.50 and my own additions
 94 xj (wifes) 3.5" lift and the boys 1979 cj7

Merciful2u

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 12:05:27 pm »
The Wrangler was an 02 sport. The difference in downhill crawling is night and day. Also, no 4x4 light comes on the instrument panel. I would love to have someone knowledgeable take a look at it. I live in East York. Charlie and Ted were here one day cutting a trail in my woods.

hillbilly

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 08:24:13 pm »
the light would be on the left side first space, as for the 02 that might have had the 21 transfer case with the lower gears. then again youre xj may not be going into 4lo.
A member of the church requests to be buried in his jeep because "It ain't never been in a hole it couldn't get out of."

Merciful2u

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 04:19:02 am »
The light doesn't come on for 4hi or 4lo. I have a feeling it goes into 4hi though. The auto transmission has to be in neutral for me to even pull the lever into 4lo (it won't go in park). I have no idea what the issue could be. I'm pretty sure the Wrangler had higher gears. Could it just be linkage?

Death Wobble

• Angie Zinn - Wall St. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2011, 09:42:52 am »
It could be bad light bulbs that indicate "Full Time" or "Part Time" if you think it is going into 4hi but not showing it?
Mine has to be in neutral before I pull the other handle.  Sometimes, if I just quickly rip it into 4lo it'll light, rather than if I take it from 2wd-4lo in stages.  Moving slowly or sitting still while shifting the t-case can make a difference, too. 
If the Jeep was never wheeled before you got it (like mine), it may just be getting used to having the t-case played with.
'88 XJ Limited:  4.5" ZONE lift, 32x11.5x15 BFG KM2s, JKS Quicker Discos, Kevin's Off Road rock rails.
'96 XJ Sport: 31x10.5 BFGs, 3" Rusty's lift.
Listen to Clutch.
(and your gut instincts)
CENSORSHIP IS UNAMERICAN!

Merciful2u

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 12:28:56 pm »
I am thinking this xj wasn't wheeled because the paint looks original (with no scrapes), no lift, regular size tires (with worn tread). It looks like a previous owner was more interested in upgrading the stereo - as there is wiring for an amplifier and speakers...lol
 A salesperson at Advance Auto Parts suggested checking the fluid levels in the transfer case and looking through the Haynes manual I bought yesterday.
 I imagine the 4x4 bulb is blown. I checked all the fuses.
 My dome light doesn't work either but I doubt it's related.

MUDDY

• Jon Vasellas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 02:05:42 pm »
I HAVE AN 88 XJ THE 4X4 LIGHTS DONT WORK SOMETIMES ON MINE. BUT GOES IN TO 4LOW THE SAME AS YOURS PUT IN 4LO AND 1ST GEAR YOU SHOULD FEEL A DIFFERENCE.
98 grand cherokee mild liFT
97 CHEVY 3IN LIFT

(Tattoo) Jack

• Jack Utter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 09:24:33 am »
   Hey Doug,

In an Automatic there usually isn't a difference between D and L (or 1st), when starting off from a dead stop, EXCEPT when ur Transfer Case is in Low Range. Easy way to tell is to get into 4L, and with the Tranny in D let the vehicle "idle" forward til it reaches about 2 mph, NO MORE then 3, then pull the gear selector back into 1st. It should feel like you just hit the brakes, or just like u down shifted, because you did! There will also be a big difference between how hard the Tranny engages (lunges) when you shift from Neutral to Drive in 2H/4H and 4L. And I assume you know that you can shift from 2H to 4H while moving (aka, Shift on the Fly) and that you "should" to be stopped, with the Transmission in Neutral and, with ONE motion, shift from 4H to 4L without stopping in (Transfer Case) Neutral in order to easily get it in 4L.

Hope this helps...

Tatt  8)

« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 02:20:25 pm by (Tattoo) Jack »
The only way to know your limits...  is to surpass them!

Don't Shop - Adopt
   "Save Your Best Friends Life, Adopt a Rescue"
       If it's not a Dobermann, it's just a Dawg...

hillbilly

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2011, 10:07:59 am »
it says your in york ,where at in case theres a member close enough to help you out or maybe swing by. or you can pm i might know someone close.

Merciful2u

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2011, 01:00:59 pm »
ok, it looks like 4lo is working. Thank you for the advice. The 02 wrangler must have been geared alot higher because this xj walks down my hills where I would give the wrangler gas because it crawled so slow  ;)
 I would still be happy to have anyone close by stop over and assess this vehicle. It does need brake work and it looks like some lines are not properly routed.
 Bonus for stopping by. I have a jeep trail cut by Charlie and Ted.  ;D

(Tattoo) Jack

• Jack Utter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2011, 02:18:22 pm »
    Here's a good website for XJ owners  ericsxj.com/ AND... he authored a GREAT book! Even if you don't want to Wheel ur XJ, but want to know more about it and maybe do some work on it, this book CAN'T be beat. Here's a good deal, of course, you can always get it on Amazon. (I removed the link, it was bad, here's the eBay Auction #250888563738, it was going for $20.77 Shipped, not a bad deal) Of course if doesn't matter WHERE you get it, just as long as you get it!

If your Wrangler had a 4 cyl, it would've had 4.11 gears in the Diffs. If it also had a manual Trans, the first gear would be a lot lower then the first gear in the AW4 you have now plus this XJ (unless it has a Factory Tow Package) will have 3.55 gears. That all makes a difference. The Good News is... your late model XJ has bigger rear axle shafts, 29 Splines, compared to '96 and earlier which only have 27 Splines.

Jack  8)

Don't Shop - Adopt

hillbilly

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2011, 09:34:11 pm »
so Jack do you get a cut from Eric yet or what. lol.

Merciful2u

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2011, 02:21:10 am »
Looks like a decent site. Thanks Jack.  :)

(Tattoo) Jack

• Jack Utter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2011, 03:40:47 am »
so Jack do you get a cut from Eric yet or what. lol.

No... (not yet  :D

Just promoting the cool stuff, Eric's book, Tattoos, XJ's, etc...

8)

Don't Shop - Adopt