Author Topic: Death Wobble or WTH  (Read 8150 times)

Storman

• Safety/Medical Advisor
  • Norm Eckard
    • View Profile
Death Wobble or WTH
« on: September 11, 2011, 08:24:57 am »
I have had death wobble before but yesterday was messed up.  2009 JK Unlimited not lifted, just state inspected and front suspension checked on 8/29, tires and wheels just rebalanced and rotated.  38,000 miles.  Anyway 65mph on I95 and hit a bump that caused the front end to violently shake so bad that the vehicle could not be steered even an18 wheeler in the number 3 lane turned on his hazards to help  slow traffic.  Once speed was slowed to 30mph it stopped and I was once again able to steer vehicle.  This was about 50 miles into the trip,    this continued to occur 5 more times in the next 150 miles that the vehicle was driven. 

Slowest speed this happened at was 55mph and other then that all I can say is this was caused by something as simple as a dip in the roadway.  Any suggestions as to what may be the root cause of the problem.

Does anyone know if a warped front drive shaft could cause this since the garage said nothing was wrong with the front suspension?

2006 Wrangler Golden Eagle Edition w/3" BDS lift, BFG 33X10.50's, Warn front and rear bumpers, Warn 9.5ti winch and a whole lot more...

2009 Wrangler Unlimited X = Stella's DD

hillbilly

• adam lewis - appalachian american - B.O.D.
    • View Profile
Re: Death Wobble or WTH
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 09:31:12 am »
sounds like a steering stabilizer, the little shock on the tierod, theres no way to tell when they go out during an inspection.
build it, beat it, break it, fix it, repeat
A member of the church requests to be buried in his jeep because "It ain't never been in a hole it couldn't get out of."
   91 xj 8.5" lift -33" x 12.50 and my own additions
 94 xj (wifes) 3.5" lift and the boys 1979 cj7

Lockers

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 10:18:05 am »

Had the same thing happen with my Dodge pickup.  I checked everything in the frontend and all was fine (only 25000 miles on the truck).  Turned out to be the tires, it had the BFG Rugged Trails on it, I put a new set of Nittos on it and haven't had a problem since.
Dan McKenna

94 YJ - 4.5" RE lift, 35" Pit Bull Rockers, D44's w/ARB's, Warn Winch, 4:1 Tera Low
06 LJ - 4.5" RE Long Arm Lift, 33" BFG's, 
67 Gladiator - (Future Project)
07 Dodge 2500 CTD / Tow Rig

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 11:53:53 am »
Look into your steering linkage Norm, you didn't have it in 4WD so the front drive shaft would NOT have been an issue or cause IMO.
I'm glad that you are safe to make this post.
Do Your Duty And History Will Do You Justice...!
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...

(Tattoo) Jack

• Jack Utter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 02:29:28 pm »

I agree wih Rick, the Front DS won't cause D.W., bent/ out of balance DS's  just give ya high frequency vibs. I've have issues with steering components that I only found when I had Colleen start it up and "Yank" (or sometimes turn it completely side to side) the steering wheel back and forth while I laid under it and watched for "any" movement from the Tie Rod ends, Upper or Lower Track Bar ends, etc. Sometimes it came down to me putting a finger on the ends of these components to be able to feel any movement.

Lots of suggestions, hope you find the problem. I read, in one of the Jeep Mags, that  Steering Dampeners can "Mask" other problems till they go bad. So if a new Dampener seems to solve the problem, I wouldn't quit looking.

Glad ur OK.

The only way to know your limits...  is to surpass them!

Don't Shop - Adopt
   "Save Your Best Friends Life, Adopt a Rescue"
       If it's not a Dobermann, it's just a Dawg...

Storman

• Safety/Medical Advisor
  • Norm Eckard
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2011, 04:15:51 pm »
thanks for the advice guys I will definately have it back at the dealer after this vacation.  Hillbilly the steering stabilizer was replaced about a month ago.  It was interesting to see that there are 8 complaints on the NHTSA website about 2009 unlimited owners with the exact same issue and most have the dealer throw parts at it to no avail.
2006 Wrangler Golden Eagle Edition w/3" BDS lift, BFG 33X10.50's, Warn front and rear bumpers, Warn 9.5ti winch and a whole lot more...

MUDDY

• Jon Vasellas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2011, 08:40:11 pm »
I WOULD CHECK THE FRONT DRIVE SHAFT AT THE VEROSITY JOINT IF YOUR JEEPS FRT SHAFT HAS ONE. MINE BROKE AT 65 MPH ON THE WAY BACK FROM TN ON I-81.
98 grand cherokee mild liFT
97 CHEVY 3IN LIFT

Storman

• Safety/Medical Advisor
  • Norm Eckard
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 06:09:55 pm »
To update it appears as we had a total failure of the aftermarket 5 week old steerting stabilizer.  I will be contacting that manufacturer.  All I can say is the failure in the 2009 was many times worse then when I had a bad stabilizer in my 2006.