Author Topic: We need something NEW !  (Read 50161 times)

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
We need something NEW !
« on: September 04, 2011, 12:43:49 pm »
Our Jeep Show is approaching it's 17th year in 2012 and I feel it needs something new/different to draw more participation interest.

Yes, the membership discusses various ways to enhance it, but I'd like to hear from others outside the Club as well.

I'm encouraging everyone to let us know what YOU think may enhance our Annual Event.
Do Your Duty And History Will Do You Justice...!
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...

hillbilly

• adam lewis - appalachian american - B.O.D.
    • View Profile
Re: We need something NEW !
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 05:12:24 pm »
MUD PIT  ;D

i know i know too much hassle. but fun.

what about a jeep wash, lol.

how about offering the crowd a chance to vote on the jeeps for winners.
what about a car crunch like adams.

build it, beat it, break it, fix it, repeat
A member of the church requests to be buried in his jeep because "It ain't never been in a hole it couldn't get out of."
   91 xj 8.5" lift -33" x 12.50 and my own additions
 94 xj (wifes) 3.5" lift and the boys 1979 cj7

chasm

• Blonde / Bomber...
    • View Profile
    • JeepChasm
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 06:49:46 pm »
On the official Jeep(R) website, they have a "Heritage Line-up." I think it would be real cool for us to do that. Basically, select one of each and every model that is registered for the show and line them up from earliest model to latest model. You know... MB, GPW, CJ2A, M38, CJ3A, M38A1, CJ5, CJ6, CJ7, CJ8, YJ, TJ, JK and throw in the FSJ's where they belong or better yet, do a separate line-up with the progression of full sized Jeeps.

I think this would be an awesome promotional opportunity. You could sell a "sponsorship" of the Line-up/s to a vendor or dealership... or Jeep Corporation! It would be an awesome opportunity for Jp or another Jeep magazine to take photos for their publication. Seriously, where else are you going to see the full diversity of Jeep models?

So, what do y'all think?  ???

Mr. Chairman?  ;D
Mike Hardesty aka: "chasm"
'51 CJ3A: Restored Garage Queen
'83 CJ8 Scrambler: To Do List...
'93 YJ: 2.5" R.E. lift, 31" Swamper SSR's, Olympic Rock bumper, smashed Stainless exhaust, U-bolt skids, Warn M-8000 winch.
'08 Liberty: (wife's DD)

Sterner09

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 07:04:40 pm »
Not sure if any of you guys attending the Bantom Jeep Fest up in Butler, but from what i heard they had a organized parade through the city as well organized trail rides on location. Obviously the york fair grounds would be hard to do a trail ride but i figured id pass it along to you guys. I heard alot of rumors about a mud pit idea, i know up at the buck ive personally run my jeep up there and the first year they did it they did not spray off the vehicles afterward and just let us leave right away, the second time however they made it mandatory that they wash us off, so im thinking the township up there wasnt to happy with all the mud left on the roads for miles. just something to think about. :)
Kevin Sterner

Rebuilding to:

2001 Black XJ
4.5 RC Full Spring Pack, 2 in. BB - 6.5 total
35" Pro Comp X Terrians

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 01:38:32 am »
Mud Pit...won't happen...Fairgrounds won't go for it and the slinging mud would be left on the track. Good idea, but I think there are too many "show" vehicles that may be affected in the process.

"Heritage Line-Up" for photos...good idea but would that enhance participation...? We could probably pull it off Saturday afternoon.

Yes, we're aware of the happenings at the Bantam Festival with the parade, but with just a two day event and a $15,000.00 obstacle course it may draw away from the event itself. We don't offer trail rides for obvious reasons..(thus the construction of an O-Course)...nothing within the locality of the event unless we move the entire event.

THANK YOU FOR STARTING THINGS OUT GUYS, KEEP THE IDEAS COMING FOLKS, WE HAVE PLENTY OF TIME TO PLAN.
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...

Death Wobble

• Angie Zinn - Wall St. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 08:39:59 pm »
Hmm...legal, affordable, family-oriented, and fits into our allotted space.  Still thinking...
'88 XJ Limited:  4.5" ZONE lift, 32x11.5x15 BFG KM2s, JKS Quicker Discos, Kevin's Off Road rock rails.
'96 XJ Sport: 31x10.5 BFGs, 3" Rusty's lift.
Listen to Clutch.
(and your gut instincts)
CENSORSHIP IS UNAMERICAN!

Death Wobble

• Angie Zinn - Wall St. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 04:41:04 am »
Looking at what some other events have done, we could have a teeter totter to see who can balance their Jeep perfectly.  Also, an area for kids to run their Power Wheels Jeeps.  (Maybe even a kiddie competition)?

How about a Women's Jeep Class judging category for Jeeps owned, built, and maintained by ladies?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 10:44:21 am by Death Wobble »
'88 XJ Limited:  4.5" ZONE lift, 32x11.5x15 BFG KM2s, JKS Quicker Discos, Kevin's Off Road rock rails.
'96 XJ Sport: 31x10.5 BFGs, 3" Rusty's lift.
Listen to Clutch.
(and your gut instincts)
CENSORSHIP IS UNAMERICAN!

Red02TJ

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 08:43:43 pm »
how about:
- a one-on-one jeep tug-of-war, can even have a buy-in and winner gets part of the pot
- jeep class vs. class tug-of-war where the drivers will do the pulling, not the jeep
- winch safety/pointers demo
- trail riding basics/repairs demo
- raffle off products where a vendor/shop will provide the labor and install the product that day at the show (ie. gears, exhaust, bumpers, etc.)
- a meet & greet the night before the start of the show, like at hooters, 5 guys, etc., and then a cruise/mall crawl somewhere
- discount show fee for military, advertise at auto hobby shops at the bases

that's it for now...
Larry Padre

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2011, 05:40:41 pm »
Angie
     A "women's" only classification may fit other events but understand that we do already have 13 Classifications and 10 of those have 3 categories each which equals 98 awards with the 7 specialty awards. We do have to consider our awards sponsor when making classification changes and additions. A strictly "women's" classification would also require the creation of an additional row of vehicles which could be difficult to accomplish but noy impossible.

Red02TJ
1) A Jeep "tug-of-war" as much as it sounds cool, may or may not enhance the events participation considering the owners capable of competing may be a small percentage based on the potential "carnage" possible.
2) Having "On-Site" labor provided in the month of July during historical humid times could prove to be impossible. Very few people would do installs during our weekend...However, I will inquire and see.
3) We already provide winch/recovery domenstrations on the BIG ROCKS from 10 AM to 12 PM (Saturday) in fromt of the bleachers. Granted it's not a first hand class, but it is provided towards the event in a larger capacity.
4) Beyond the above provided we deter the participants of O-Course driving entertainment that entails 1/4 of the entire events budget. Not IMO an alternative.
5) A Vendor meet/greet was done this year as the Club held a "Pig Roast" and fed almost 300 people when you combine our Club staff and the vendors and thier entire staffs. We fed over 225 vendor staff this year and they enjoyed. That may/or may not be repeated again going forward. I personally like the vendor oriented things kept on-site during the set-up day to tie in with their arrival.
6) A discount for "active" military may be a possible option, but not one IMO that will enhance participation significantly overall. Yes, I did my service for the U.S.M.C. so I feel supporting our troops of al branches is in order and has been in order for some time through myself and our Memebership Director/Treasure but hasn't been advertised. It's just been held on a particular basis over the years.

Understand that I/we are looking for things/options that will grow the ENTIRE participation overall rather than be focusing on a small percentage of those that will register their Jeep versus attending under spectator fees and parking their Jeep outside the gates. I did browse through the outside parking areas and stopped counting at 200 Jeeps that were "un-registered" for the event.

I'm looking for something that may or may not be a possible vehicle draw. However, I do have a plan in the works that directly will/can enhance a reason to register a participating Jeep no matter the condition. I've created a possible solution which may/may not do just that. That would be a "Poker Run" that takes place "on-site" that ONLY registered Jeep owners can participate and will be provided Clues to find/earn cards at various "Vendor" booths to complete a "poker hand" to submit for potential winnings. All would be printed within the "FREE" distributed Event Program to ALL registered Jeep owners "ONLY" participating in the event.

Keep the ideas coming...I like the open communication
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 06:48:25 am by Rick_Bear »

UGOTKERN

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2011, 09:05:18 am »
I think more interactive things for participants outside of the obstacle course, RTI, slow crawl etc.
These interactive ideas be confirmed and advirtised way in advance and should definately draw more families and new and past participants.

for example:

the Canadian Armed Forces do the Jeep teardown and rebuild in less than 5 minutes...... It's actually free for them to come down.... all that has to be done is have their lodging taken care of. I would think one of the local hotels would sponsor this. This drew big crowds while at Bantham

Weber Grills......  At CAMP JEEP they would bring their multi grill rig and allow folks to make grilled pizza.

Vendor Jeep Builld Off...... for those that attended CAMP JEEP..... When Skyjacker and Superlift went head to head and build up 2 JK's with a particular budget then let the crowd decide.

I know I've mentioned CAMP JEEP several times, the fact that this event has not happened in recent years makes these ideas fresh again.

Get some vendors to attend that have things for kids to do..... ADAMS in Aberdeen scored a homerun this past year at their event with having all the inflatable items on hand for the kids.

These are just a few ideas off the top of my head. If Chantelle and I can help in any way please call on us.
Chris Kern

Colli

• Newsletter Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2011, 06:41:18 pm »
I talked to the Canadian Military "Jiffy Jeep" team at the Bantam festival about what it takes to get them to come to show. They gave me the contact information for the public affairs office at their base to make a request. All you have to do is contact them and request that they come to the show and the command decides which events they go to... and they perform free of charge!! In case anyone doesn't know - they are the group that takes a military Jeep completely apart and puts it back together in just a few minutes. It was a big hit with folks at the Bantam show. I turned the contact information over to Jenn to take it from there.
Colli Leighton
1967 Jeepster Commando Pick Up - work in progress
2000 TJ - trail rig (ample lift, 35" MTZs, 8.8 rear, 4.88 gears, 12 different soft tops)
2012 Ram 2500HD Crew Cab - tow rig
2015 Cherokee - grocery getter
Trailer - to tow my Jeeps around

Jeepnharleymomma

• Show Chairman
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2011, 07:40:33 pm »
I was going to tell Rick about the Canadian Jeep tear down at the board meeting I have thier phone #. We will be talking on Wednesday.

We used to have power wheels with an obstacle course.....takes more volunteers to run this area.

We have a bouncy house as well.

How about someone doing "trail cooking"  demo?

I would like to see the military guys set up full camp like at bantam....that was really cool.

It may be a bad idea but what about having local winerys come in for tastings. ( I know what your thinking drunk drivers but we can work on this) (you would have to drink an alot of "tastes " to get drunk.) (insurance may be the issue.)

Geocaching is the big thing right now....give them a booth and they bring gps and do demos all weekend. They will make thier own caches around the jeep show.

I am still thinking........

"Trail Boss" Jenn Watson
89 V8 Yj, some lift, some tires and some extras!
96 Cherokee Sport (Daves beater)
1947 CJ2-A

Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly,Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that made you smile

UGOTKERN

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2011, 11:20:40 am »
A bouncy house is ok.... but with the typical heat that comes with PAJeeps it might be too hot. Adams Jeep had a wall climb, golf drive hut, speed pitch hut and a few more to name a few.

I'm trying to think of ideas that will not require any PAJeeps staff/volunteers involvement as I'm sure they are already stretched thin as it is.

Another thing that would draw more would be to encourage the vendors to bring actual product to sell either through themselves or via Quadratec or another retailer. People come with fists full of dolllars to buy product from the big name manufactures in attendance because they assume they're favorite vendors on site will have the products they want to buy. If vendors will confirm they will bring products or have it available somehow for the show that can be advirtised in advance and will draw old and new blood to the event.

In regards to the Canadian Forces..... when I spoke to the Sgt... he recommended putting in your request ASAP as their schedule is usually set way in advance. It takes time for the PAO to review the requests and get the appropriate approvals. Perhaps PAJeeps can speak with some of the area hotels  to see for in exchange of offering some complimentary rooms for the Canadian forces they can be listed as the hotel of choice for PAJeeps.
Chris Kern

Joe Giglio

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2011, 10:03:10 pm »
I have been toying with putting together an event in Idaho. I have even bounced it off some members of Snake River Offroaders (http://www.snakeriveroffroaders.com ). One of my problems is that I don’t have the obstacle course that PA Jeeps has. I thought I would put together some of my ideas that might be adapted to the Jeep show.

The show is already booked so you might need to do something Friday to start the event, which might mean building the OC Thursday. I am sure no one wants that, but I thought adding the possibility might spark other ideas.

1) Hold a rock racing or rock crawling event (with RC) at the stone quarry Friday or Saturday night. I would go see a rock racing event and I have gone to the crawling events. The area by the quarry might be a place that could turn into a local rock crawling park and this could be an event that makes York County interested. You might be able to set up trail rides during the day through the quarry if the place is already set up for an event.

2) PA Jeeps could buy an old Jeep and put a lift on it using an offroad shop. The vendors could be asked to donate something and assemble it every hour during the show to build it up. PA Jeeps could raffle it off. I personally would limit the build to a stage 1 level to make sure some idiot did not win a fully built Jeep and get in a bad situation.

3)  I go back to when Ron and Chris gave Jake rides over the OC rocks a few years ago. Jake loved it and would have done that forever. The kids with special needs love to be in these different Jeeps. Going over obstacles is an added bonus. The Down syndrome society make on the order of $50k per year during their Buddy Walk. There are other groups such as Autism Speaks and the March of Dimes. Sunday morning could be a Buddy Ride (trademark might be an issue). The groups could collect in a nearby fairground parking lot. The Jeeps could go out and get a kid, parade them around the track and run the OC. The Buddy Walk makes money by charging to walk (kids included) plus donations. This event could make money or just be good publicity.

There is a big picture here. Watching Jake go over the rocks let me know that he could handle trail rides. I did not bring him with me until after that ride. He has gone with me over the lava field and on multiple rides to high mountain lakes. There are a ton of families that are trying to figure out how to do things together with children with special needs. PA Jeeps should reach out to these familes to build membership.

My event in Idaho will be focused around access. Access for people with physical limitations even if the limitation is just age.  Access for families with kids with limitation. You cannot take a flight risk child hiking or camping so you can never see the sights unless you drive there. Access for wounded warriors who seem to be forgotten.  And access for the offroad community to places shut off by the forest service. I hope to negotiate trail rides with the forest service one weekend a year for the physically challenged. This could be another event that PA Jeeps does at RC or Sproul.

4) You could give rides over the OC to residents of places like Penn-Mar and places Chasm manages. I would guess this would be a Friday noon event.

5) I would like to add hand controls to my Jeep and allow wounded warriors to drive over obstacles. PA Jeeps might be able to add that to Quadratec’s crawler and Kane’s (something stable with low gearing). 

I noticed another All Breeds Jeep show advertised in JP magazine. They mean all breeds including Scouts and Broncos. I think they just liked the name. http://www.jocci.com/allbreedsjeepshow.jpg

You guys should plan a trip out west. I would try to line up trail guides. Our club is talking about 1 week at South Dakota next year. We do one week long trip a year, 1 camping trip per warm weather month and one trail ride per month.  It took a while to get the Jeep up to speed, but I have been out on the last 4 or 5 rides. We went to Ennis Montana last month and drove one of MT most difficult trails (not that difficult @7 out of 10). We hit the lava field regularly. We are planning a trip just north of Sun Valley ID for the end of the month. The family goes on the camping trips so everyone can see the sights. Haven’t hit Moab for wheeling yet, but we did do spring break there. Canyon Land NP is cool.

Joe

docthrush

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2011, 11:37:24 pm »

I would like to see the military guys set up full camp like at bantam....that was really cool.

Can you shed some more light (or pictures) on this?  This year I was supposed to co ordinate some stuff with the military vehicle section of the show,  uncle sam decided that I needed to go to a school all summer so I droped the ball. If I get another chance next year I think some great stuff can be done, there were a bunch of people on the living history / military vehicle side that were interested in this show.