Author Topic: Protect the lights!  (Read 8925 times)

Soylent

• View Profile
Protect the lights!
« on: July 03, 2011, 08:55:59 pm »
Here's an odd set of questions...

Willys-Overland, its successors, and other jeep manufacturers have used several ways to protect the headlights on their vehicles.  A few of these methods have been copied by aftermarket manufacturers to protect headlights on more modern jeep vehicles.

This model protects the head lamps with deep, round bezels attached to the grill.

These two models had the lights attached to a rotating assembly mounted behind the grill.

This model had the headlights mounted behind a heavy gauge wire which was some of the only steel in the front end of the jeep.

And this model had a similar steel wire over the lights on a "traditional" jeep grill.
Dave Simons

Jeepnharleymomma

• Show Chairman
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Protect the lights!
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 09:37:45 pm »
the first question......cj-v35?

the last question m38?
"Trail Boss" Jenn Watson
89 V8 Yj, some lift, some tires and some extras!
96 Cherokee Sport (Daves beater)
1947 CJ2-A

Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly,Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that made you smile

ddechri

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 09:53:55 pm »
2nd question: MB & GPW
3rd Mighty Mite

- Dave
Dave DeChristopher
'79 CJ-7: 4.0L, T18, bronco geared Dana 20, D30/D44 (locked), Warn 8274
'60 Willys PU: IH 304 V8, wide T19, Dana 18, OD, PTO Winch, SOA D44/D53(Power Lock) w/4.27's, 33's,
'68 CJ5 - Dauntless, SM420 (project)
'98 Dodge Ram 2500 12V CTD QC LWB
"Where ever I go, there's I AM"

N3IW

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 11:24:14 pm »
I know the M38-A1 headlight was hinged and rotated back away from the front of the grill.   I think it and the Mighty Mite would be the only ones that fit #3.
Chip Morgan

2000 Wrangler TJ Sport - minor lift + 1.25" BL on 33s; many, many skid plates with more to come

Soylent

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 11:40:25 pm »
I know the M38-A1 headlight was hinged and rotated back away from the front of the grill.   I think it and the Mighty Mite would be the only ones that fit #3.

Correct, my Mighty Mite has steel wire headlamp covers but everything around them is aluminum.

The GPW/MB also have a hinged head light assembly that rotated up and over to light the engine compartment so that it could be worked on at night.
Dave Simons