Author Topic: XJ HEAD  (Read 4705 times)

MUDDY

• Jon Vasellas
    • View Profile
XJ HEAD
« on: May 27, 2011, 07:21:27 am »
QUESTION IS CAN YOU USE A 80'S OR 90'S HEAD OFF A 4.0 FOR A 00' XJ. TRYING TO HELP CHARLIE'S SON OUT ?
98 grand cherokee mild liFT
97 CHEVY 3IN LIFT

(Tattoo) Jack

• Jack Utter
    • View Profile
Re: XJ HEAD
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 09:55:23 am »

If I remember correctly, there was a change in the water jacket openings/channels in the '00-01 heads resulting in a weakness in one or both ends causing those heads to crack, BUT I don't recall reading anything about whether or not the bolt patterns are different. Probably your best bet is to check out (if ur not doing it already) some of the Cherokee related forums, i.e., naxja.org/, cherokeetalk.com/forum/f37/, etc... There are some serious Motor Heads on these sites

Sorry I couldn't help any more, but I'm not a Gear Head when it comes to the "real" Tech Info like this. Although...  (and this is just a guess) I would assume that any HO ('91-'01) Head should fit, of course, staying away from '00-'01's. You have to remember that pre-'91 is not MPI. I guess you could ask a parts place to see if the head gaskets are the same for a '91 and '01, if so, then the bolt pattern is the same and water jacket openings would be pretty close.

Tatt
The only way to know your limits...  is to surpass them!

Don't Shop - Adopt
   "Save Your Best Friends Life, Adopt a Rescue"
       If it's not a Dobermann, it's just a Dawg...

MUDDY

• Jon Vasellas
    • View Profile
Re: XJ HEAD
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 08:33:47 am »
THANK YOU JACK FOR THE HELP
98 grand cherokee mild liFT
97 CHEVY 3IN LIFT