Author Topic: July 22nd-24th Potomac State Forest  (Read 4587 times)

Jeepnharleymomma

• Show Chairman
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
July 22nd-24th Potomac State Forest
« on: April 29, 2011, 07:06:38 pm »
After doing some research, I found the best weekend for us is going to be July 22nd-24th, 2011. We would all have to be off the site by 3:00pm the following weekend, so that was out of the question. With our group, we could never make that guarantee.

So, for anyone that has not been there before, I will give you a run down on what to expect. First of all, this portion of the Potomac State Forest is one of the most beautiful places that will ever visit. July is an excellent time of the year to go there. Last July, when it was 105 degrees in Baltimore, it was 81 degrees at the hottest point at the campsite. Even that was for just a short period of time. Oddly enough, while Garrett County is the wettest region in Maryland, the air generally is less humid than in Central Maryland. It is most certainly healthier. One night last July it was down in the 50's. Perfect camping.

This group site is actually in the the woods, yet there is a clearing there if you have a very large rig. Pam and I took our 29ft. travel trailer there last year. While it took real care, it fit with nicely into the site. There are level spots there for campers and tons of room for any kind of tent. There is enough room that we can spread out, if that is the way you like to camp.

Wheeling is not mandatory, but I can not imagine you not wanting to. The roads that we typically have access to are really fun, but not tremendously difficult. Yet, some sections can offer some neat challenge. Just think, some of these roads were built by hand in the 1930's by the Civilian Conservation Corps and have changed very little to this date. Keep in mind, many of these roads are narrow (Jeep trails, if you will). I personally do not recommend a full size rig, as you may do some nasty damage to it. If the conditions wet enough, they may be restricted from some roads. Mind you, if it is real wet, then some routes may be off limits for all of us. Fortunately, each year we come up, things dry up, just in time.

There are literally tons of things you and your family can do up there. That is why my family and I will be arriving earlier in that week and leaving the following Tuesday. You are welcome to do the same. Besides the really neat wheeling and excellent dry camping, you can fish at any number of excellent locations, including on that Forest.

There are 3 lakes nearby where you can use a power boat. Last year, we went out on the Jennings/Randolph Lake. It is loaded with quality fish. You can water ski there and PWC's are permitted there. Almost no boat traffic.

There are at least 4 lakes where electric motors must be used, or paddle.

There is a really cool novelty shop, called the Shawnee Indian Trading Post. Really an unusual place. A must see.

Last year, it was warm enough to go swimming in the Potomac River. There is a beach on Jennings/Randolph Lake on the West Virginia side. The water was clean and just the right temperature.

There are really neat back country roads up there. Good food places. Black Water Falls is nearby. A must see. Swallow/Muddy Creek Falls are close by. Awesome place. Deep Creek Lake has tons of attractions all to itself, if you do not mind a lot of people. Although, during the week, it is not too bad.

Here are a few things you need to know. If you plan on fishing, you will need a fishing license and in most locations, a trout stamp as well. If you are 16 years old or older, you must have one. Pam and I were checked at Green Ridge. So, it does happen.

Nights can get chilly. Some locations up there, can too get hot. In all likelihood, we will do some volunteer work on Saturday Morning. So far, we have made that a good time. Plus,  we get to drive on roads that we normally would not have access to. We always finish up by lunch time. Still, for the access that we get, it is a very small price to pay. The campsite is very inexpensive, to boot.

We may have guests wheeling with us this year. If that were to happen, I am not sure what impact that would have on our volunteer efforts. The guests, if that were to happen would be invited to wheel with us on Saturday and would be from the local area, most likely. This is a great way to meet folks and learn of other places to wheel.

This is dry (no hook ups) camping. Still, there is a very nicely constructed outhouse in walking distance from the campsite. You will need to be completely self sufficient. Pets, on a leash are permitted. Please keep them under control. While, rarely an issue. I recommend bringing bug spray.

Rain gear makes sense. Make sure your camping equipment is rain proof. That way, it will not rain.  If you are tent camping, I recommend that you have the metal stakes that resemble large nails. It is very grassy there, but also very rocky.

Stock rigs are welcome.There are a few spots that may be rather difficult for a stock rig, but the trails are not long, so you can always opt out and catch a ride. You are encouraged to bring trusted, responsible friends. They can bring their 4x4's as well, as long as they understand that it is Tread Lightly! or not at all. They need to understand that when there is volunteer work to be done, they are volunteered. By all means, bring the entire family. This is the perfect family trip.

Okay, here is what I (we) truly need. Commitment.  This is an awesome place and outstanding access not found anywhere else. We need a nice turn out. We have been falling short on our turnouts for the volunteer work. It is really hard to understand, given what is there and there to do. The volunteer work is by no means killer.

You are certainly welcome to come up and enjoy the camping and Garrett County and forgo the wheeling, if you so chose to. Although, you would be missing out on some really neat routes.

Since money is tight and fuel is ridicously high, this may the very best vacation site you can go to. The actual wheeling is near the campsite. Once we get ready to wheel, you can air down right at the campsite. The site is very inexpensive split up amongst all of us.

Please get back to me as soon as you can with your questions and hopefully, a committment. More information, forth coming.

Preston

"Trail Boss" Jenn Watson
89 V8 Yj, some lift, some tires and some extras!
96 Cherokee Sport (Daves beater)
1947 CJ2-A

Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly,Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that made you smile

Jeepnharleymomma

• Show Chairman
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: July 22nd-24th Potomac State Forest
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 11:39:51 am »
Hi Folks,

We are still on for the Potomac State Forest trip on July 22nd-24th. As it stands right now, this event will be open to some public, as well. Our trail work will likely be limited to moving downed trees out of our way and putting some WD40 on some locks as we go through.

The Stevens Family is making this our summer vacation. Thus we will be arriving on either on the 19th or 20th and leaving on 26th or 27th of July.

Remember, if you have never been there before, it is dry camping. In otherwords, not hookups. You need to bring your own water. If you need electricity, bring your own generator. There is an outhouse in walking distance from the campsite, but not in smelling distance. It is a good facility.

You will need to gas up before you arrive at the campsite. You may bring friends and their 4x4's as long as they are responsible. Large full size 4x4's are not really recommended. Still, there are some trails they would be okay on, if they are not worried about scratches or possible dents.

31" or larger tires recommended, but by no means required. Skid plate make perfect sense. A full size spare should be high on your list. Flat tires are not out of the question and it is not fair to ruin someone else's trip because you have to borrow their's.

I recommend that you bring chairs for around the campfire. Flash light(s), camera, hat, sunglasses and bug spray, just incase. Generally, the bugs are not an issue. It can get cool at night. Even 40's.

Tow hooks and tire gauge are a must. Everyone will air down prior to hitting the trails. A portable air compressor is nice to have with you.

Keep in mind, it can rain up there, even in July.

There are some real nice places to fish up there. A fresh water license and troul stamp is required in most places to fish up there. Last year, we had some awesome swimming.

There are some awesome tourist traps up there. Several, I can recommend. Great family stuff.

There are at least 3 good locations you can use a gas powered boat. Even PWC's and water skiing.

It would be helpful if you can let me know if you are coming up and if anyone is coming up with you.

Remember, anything from pup tents to motorhomes will work up there. Oh, metal nail type stakes are recommended if you are tenting it.

So, come up and see one of Maryland's best kept secrets.

Have a great day!

"Trail Boss" Jenn Watson
89 V8 Yj, some lift, some tires and some extras!
96 Cherokee Sport (Daves beater)
1947 CJ2-A

Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly,Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that made you smile