Author Topic: Out of Gas!  (Read 17210 times)

Soylent

• View Profile
Out of Gas!
« on: April 05, 2011, 02:52:34 pm »
Let's make this simple:  Name as many domestically available jeep models as possible that do not use a gas burning engine and name that engine.  Attention to detail on this one will get you the big internet cookie!

(Example mid-eighties XJs were available with a Renault 2.1 liter turbo diesel).
Dave Simons

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
Re: Out of Gas!
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 10:39:19 am »
Military FC's (M677 - 678 - 679) had the Cerlist 3 cyl. diesel that created 75 hp

2007 Grand Cherokee had the Bosch Developed Mercedes 3.0 Diesel but not sure if sold domestically
Do Your Duty And History Will Do You Justice...!
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...

Soylent

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 07:48:32 pm »
Military FC's (M677 - 678 - 679) had the Cerlist 3 cyl. diesel that created 75 hp

2007 Grand Cherokee had the Bosch Developed Mercedes 3.0 Diesel but not sure if sold domestically

Good job on the 3 cylinder Cerlist diesel in the M676, M677, M678, and M679.

I can think of two more that meet the "no gas" criteria.
Dave Simons

hillbilly

• adam lewis - appalachian american - B.O.D.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 08:10:52 pm »
i seen a yj with a turbo diesel a couple of jeep meetings ago. or was it a tj, all them barbie jeeps look alike....
build it, beat it, break it, fix it, repeat
A member of the church requests to be buried in his jeep because "It ain't never been in a hole it couldn't get out of."
   91 xj 8.5" lift -33" x 12.50 and my own additions
 94 xj (wifes) 3.5" lift and the boys 1979 cj7

Soylent

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 09:47:00 pm »
i seen a yj with a turbo diesel a couple of jeep meetings ago. or was it a tj, all them barbie jeeps look alike....

Are you saying it came with that engine?  Cause that's what I'd expect from a station wagon driver...

>:D
Just kidding.  I don't know you to be yanking your chain for real.
Dave Simons

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 03:29:36 am »
Don't worry...Adam has had his chained yanked more times than he can count...He's married too  ::)
Oh my....A station wagon driver...wait til Fridays meeting of introductions
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...

Soylent

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 07:21:16 pm »
Don't worry...Adam has had his chained yanked more times than he can count...He's married too  ::)
Oh my....A station wagon driver...wait til Fridays meeting of introductions

That's kinder than what we normally call XJs down here.  Whenever a new one would join the Orlando Jeep Club, someone would always say, "Awesome, another garbage truck..."

The owner of course, being new and afraid of stepping into an argument with an established member, typically would look confused but remain quiet.

And then on the next trail ride they'd find out why.  As members picked up trash at lunch stops or places where everyone stops to watch others, someone would always drag the trash bags to the back gates of all the XJs. 

"Hey, you've got the room in there for this, right?"

;D
Dave Simons

Death Wobble

• Angie Zinn - Wall St. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 08:11:32 pm »

"Hey, you've got the room in there for this, right?"

;D

Naah, that's why God invented roof racks!
'88 XJ Limited:  4.5" ZONE lift, 32x11.5x15 BFG KM2s, JKS Quicker Discos, Kevin's Off Road rock rails.
'96 XJ Sport: 31x10.5 BFGs, 3" Rusty's lift.
Listen to Clutch.
(and your gut instincts)
CENSORSHIP IS UNAMERICAN!

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 03:18:55 am »
The roof rack would be the perfect place for the recyclables...It is like a "garbage truck"....Now I see it Dave

I think I'll wear my Kevlar vest to our Club Meeting Friday evening  ;D

Soylent

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 08:20:24 am »

Good luck with that.  I'm going to assume that from a distance of 1300 miles, I am safe.
Dave Simons

Death Wobble

• Angie Zinn - Wall St. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 08:34:09 am »
The roof rack would be the perfect place for the recyclables...It is like a "garbage truck"....Now I see it Dave

Pretty soon, we'll have to have metal detectors and pat-downs before our meetings!
'88 XJ Limited:  4.5" ZONE lift, 32x11.5x15 BFG KM2s, JKS Quicker Discos, Kevin's Off Road rock rails.
'96 XJ Sport: 31x10.5 BFGs, 3" Rusty's lift.
Listen to Clutch.
(and your gut instincts)
CENSORSHIP IS UNAMERICAN!

Jeremy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2011, 11:01:37 am »
You know a surprising amount of the membership would probably fail those pat downs and metal detectors right,  Our meeting can be described as a "armed camp" sometimes.  This makes me comfortable that I associate with my kind of people.  ;D

Just so I am not completely off topic,  which I am, There was a diesel available in '61-'65 CJ-5s,  it was a Perkins 192 I4 diesel engine I think,  need to goggle that.  I also think that in the 1940 or early 5s there was a factory available kit to make the old 134 flat head gas motor into a diesel,  but I don't know if it was sold.  I am also shocked that now one spouted out all the late model jeeps that have diesel options.
Jeremy Meehan

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2011, 11:45:46 am »
Jeremy,

Dave asked for "Domestically" sold models. There have been numerous models produced and sold abroad with diesel motors.
Jeep hasn't taken advantage of promoting and producing them here in the U.S...I personally think they would do well.

Soylent

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2011, 11:29:11 pm »
You know a surprising amount of the membership would probably fail those pat downs and metal detectors right,  Our meeting can be described as a "armed camp" sometimes.  This makes me comfortable that I associate with my kind of people.  ;D

Just so I am not completely off topic,  which I am, There was a diesel available in '61-'65 CJ-5s,  it was a Perkins 192 I4 diesel engine I think,  need to goggle that.  I also think that in the 1940 or early 5s there was a factory available kit to make the old 134 flat head gas motor into a diesel,  but I don't know if it was sold.  I am also shocked that now one spouted out all the late model jeeps that have diesel options.

The Perkins diesel powered CJ-5 is indeed one of the last non-gasoline engined jeeps that I was looking for.

The other that I can think of would be the DJ-5E which, I understand, was powered by a bank of batteries for inner city use.
Dave Simons

Soylent

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2012, 11:54:26 pm »

Funny, I forgot to comment on this statement.  The Ocala Jeep Club is probably the same way, except you wouldn't know it at our meetings since they are held at a Sheriff's substation, where our permits for CCW are of no use since police facilities are off limits for concealed carry.
Dave Simons