Jeep History Trivia > Senior Class (C'mon..Stump Em')

Out of Gas!

<< < (3/3)

Death Wobble:

--- Quote from: Rick_Bear on April 08, 2011, 03:18:55 am ---The roof rack would be the perfect place for the recyclables...It is like a "garbage truck"....Now I see it Dave

I think I'll wear my Kevlar vest to our Club Meeting Friday evening  ;D

--- End quote ---

Pretty soon, we'll have to have metal detectors and pat-downs before our meetings!

Jeremy:
You know a surprising amount of the membership would probably fail those pat downs and metal detectors right,  Our meeting can be described as a "armed camp" sometimes.  This makes me comfortable that I associate with my kind of people.  ;D

Just so I am not completely off topic,  which I am, There was a diesel available in '61-'65 CJ-5s,  it was a Perkins 192 I4 diesel engine I think,  need to goggle that.  I also think that in the 1940 or early 5s there was a factory available kit to make the old 134 flat head gas motor into a diesel,  but I don't know if it was sold.  I am also shocked that now one spouted out all the late model jeeps that have diesel options.

Rick_Bear:
Jeremy,

Dave asked for "Domestically" sold models. There have been numerous models produced and sold abroad with diesel motors.
Jeep hasn't taken advantage of promoting and producing them here in the U.S...I personally think they would do well.

Soylent:

--- Quote from: Jeremy on April 08, 2011, 11:01:37 am ---You know a surprising amount of the membership would probably fail those pat downs and metal detectors right,  Our meeting can be described as a "armed camp" sometimes.  This makes me comfortable that I associate with my kind of people.  ;D

Just so I am not completely off topic,  which I am, There was a diesel available in '61-'65 CJ-5s,  it was a Perkins 192 I4 diesel engine I think,  need to goggle that.  I also think that in the 1940 or early 5s there was a factory available kit to make the old 134 flat head gas motor into a diesel,  but I don't know if it was sold.  I am also shocked that now one spouted out all the late model jeeps that have diesel options.

--- End quote ---

The Perkins diesel powered CJ-5 is indeed one of the last non-gasoline engined jeeps that I was looking for.

The other that I can think of would be the DJ-5E which, I understand, was powered by a bank of batteries for inner city use.

Soylent:

--- Quote from: Jeremy on April 08, 2011, 11:01:37 am ---You know a surprising amount of the membership would probably fail those pat downs and metal detectors right,  Our meeting can be described as a "armed camp" sometimes.  This makes me comfortable that I associate with my kind of people.  ;D
--- End quote ---

Funny, I forgot to comment on this statement.  The Ocala Jeep Club is probably the same way, except you wouldn't know it at our meetings since they are held at a Sheriff's substation, where our permits for CCW are of no use since police facilities are off limits for concealed carry.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version