Author Topic: Jeep Vans  (Read 11265 times)

Soylent

• View Profile
Jeep Vans
« on: April 05, 2011, 01:40:54 pm »
Hi.  With Rick's help I got registered for your forum today and am enjoying looking around, especially at the Senior Class Trivia section since I write hundreds of trivia questions every year for our event's two show announcers.  They use them during the day so that they can move "minor" prizes quicker and not have them taking up more time at the awards ceremony.

So...my first question is...

Name as many jeep vans as possible.  (This should include any iteration of Willys-Overland or its descendent companies like Willys-Jeep, Kaiser-Jeep, AMC-Jeep, etc).  I prefer that you name them by individual model designation so we're clear which model you're talking about even though at least one model didn't get a letter-number designation.  Do not include ZJ, WJ, WK, etc station wagons/SUVs.  They're not vans.

Off the top of my head, I can name five domestically produced models of jeep van.  (And M170 ambulances don't count.)

;)
Dave Simons

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
Re: Jeep Vans
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 02:15:41 pm »
Well since I am home from work after foot surgery I'll take a shot at this one.

M67 - FJ3 / FJ3A / FC-170 Jeep Van (1959-64)

That be the four I know of...

Technical I believe the M676 - M677 - M678 - M679 we all available in a "van" version". Although I could be wrong too. If not I just named eight.
Do Your Duty And History Will Do You Justice...!
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...

Soylent

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 02:30:28 pm »
Well since I am home from work after foot surgery I'll take a shot at this one.

M67 - FJ3 / FJ3A / FC-170 Jeep Van (1959-64)

That be the four I know of...

Technical I believe the M676 - M677 - M678 - M679 we all available in a "van" version". Although I could be wrong too. If not I just named eight.

The first two--M676 and M677--are pickups, one a regular cab and the other a four door with an aluminum "doghouse" in the bed.  The M678 would be correct but the M679 is an ambulance.  I'd give you that one since it's a hard bodied "van" unlike the M170 ambulance.

The FJ-3 and FJ-3A are definitely correct as well.  I figure I'll find one in a junkyard some day and spend three life's savings trying to restore it to have other jeep enthusiasts say, "Why?"   ???   :D 

(I've got a customer who uses an FJ-8A as a small box truck for his custom painting business, but info on those is really hard to research since A) there is almost zero interest in this unlikeliest of jeeps and B) AM General would pretty much send out a running chassis to anybody who wanted to build any type of body they wanted to for it.)

The FC-170 presents a conundrum.  I am unaware of anybody but Mahindra supplying these with a van body (which they also did on the FC-160 and FC-190, two models not actually built by Jeep.  But Jeep did have plans for them.)  Kaiser-Jeep did sell the truck as a running chassis, a running cowl and chassis, or a running cab and chassis.  Basically, you could have the truck in just about any unfinished state you were willing to pay for it in and finish it yourself.

For the last two, I'm thinking "panel delivery" since that is what evolved into what we call a "van" today.  That should make it easier.
Dave Simons

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 02:34:27 pm »
Both the 676 & 677 could be had with a van body...now starts the arguement I guess.
Do Your Duty And History Will Do You Justice...!
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...

Soylent

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 02:53:26 pm »
Both the 676 & 677 could be had with a van body...now starts the arguement I guess.

Oh no...I'm not having an argument with the site admin on my first day on your forum.

;D
Dave Simons

Golden7

• View Profile
    • JBR Fabrication
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 02:25:31 pm »
Adding to Rick's FJ-3 and FJ-3A, there was an FJ-6, FJ-6A, FJ-8, FJ-8A, FJ-8C and FJ-9
-Bobby Hoover

'77 Golden Eagle CJ-7

Soylent

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 07:46:40 pm »
Adding to Rick's FJ-3 and FJ-3A, there was an FJ-6, FJ-6A, FJ-8, FJ-8A, FJ-8C and FJ-9

Yup.
Dave Simons