Author Topic: cj everything  (Read 7143 times)

hillbilly

• adam lewis - appalachian american - B.O.D.
    • View Profile
cj everything
« on: October 18, 2010, 04:02:26 pm »
since we are heading into the cj side of jeeping were going to have a lot of questions. so 1st one is how to identify the carb on a 79 258 motor. the tag is gone but it is stamped carter   and 0-2681,

build it, beat it, break it, fix it, repeat
A member of the church requests to be buried in his jeep because "It ain't never been in a hole it couldn't get out of."
   91 xj 8.5" lift -33" x 12.50 and my own additions
 94 xj (wifes) 3.5" lift and the boys 1979 cj7

Jeremy

• View Profile
Re: cj everything
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 07:57:23 pm »
That is a Carter BBD,  I have a very low opinion of Carter BBDs,  As they wear the main shaft which is hardened steel wears out the holes though the alloy body causing a vacumn leak and is impossible to find or fix.  It will run that way but it tends to run with poor mileage.  Carters were even used on the YJ.  As they were used through jeep production they cot more choked with a maze of vacuum hoses emissions BS and even electronically controlled stepper motors.  I consider them the bane of my jeeps existence until I put Weber's on everything.   Make sure your fuel lines are in good condition and wrap them up with tin foil to protect them from heat,  your manafold will tend to cook all the rubber under hood leading to vacuum leaks and at worse fuel leaks.

I have a easy half dozen of these things laying around.  One of them is a little crispy since it set the jeep on fire once.  I have completely converted over to WEBER carbs which require a adapter and a fuel pressure regulator.  Alternatives are motorcraft or some other carb.  You can open up your options with a offenhauser intake which works with Holly 4 barrels or Q-jets.  THe ultimate would be a 4.0 fuel injection kit,  or even a 4.0 head and fool injection off a Cherokee but the swap is either involved or expensive.  If you go the Cherokee rout,  get the wiring harness and exhaust system off the donor too.  Then you either need to make a crankshaft positioning sensor potions on the transmission of use the FOOL injection kits vibration dampener. 
Jeremy Meehan

hillbilly

• adam lewis - appalachian american - B.O.D.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 08:15:07 pm »
thanks for the info, i found a holley 2 barrel off of an early 80s dodge pickup that looks like it might fit but im going to use the bbd as an instruction tool and rebuild it with him so he can get some experience and run it till it dies then upgrade. thanks again   and watch for future questions theyll be a many....
build it, beat it, break it, fix it, repeat
A member of the church requests to be buried in his jeep because "It ain't never been in a hole it couldn't get out of."
   91 xj 8.5" lift -33" x 12.50 and my own additions
 94 xj (wifes) 3.5" lift and the boys 1979 cj7

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 12:34:32 am »
I agree, get rid of that Carter carburator...you'll spend more time "tweeking" it than you will be enjoying driving the Jeep.
I have a two barrel Holley here off an AMC eight cylinder, I think it may work with an adapter...not real sure though, gonna have to research that.
Do Your Duty And History Will Do You Justice...!
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...

ddechri

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 11:19:06 pm »
The Carter BBD definitely get a lot of bad press and some of it is well deserved.
But, I still have mine and it's got well over 200k on it. Still works just fine and delivers 15 mpg. I got 19 back when the CJ was stock. The secret is keeping them clean. The key to drivability is a manual choke and throttle. Makes cold and damp weather operation much nicer. And don't try to run them with headers.

- Dave
Dave DeChristopher
'79 CJ-7: 4.0L, T18, bronco geared Dana 20, D30/D44 (locked), Warn 8274
'60 Willys PU: IH 304 V8, wide T19, Dana 18, OD, PTO Winch, SOA D44/D53(Power Lock) w/4.27's, 33's,
'68 CJ5 - Dauntless, SM420 (project)
'98 Dodge Ram 2500 12V CTD QC LWB
"Where ever I go, there's I AM"