Author Topic: boys got his first jeep  (Read 45492 times)

chasm

• Blonde / Bomber...
    • View Profile
    • JeepChasm
Re: boys got his first jeep
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2011, 03:53:44 pm »
Why ya holding out on the photos Adam? The build sounds like an awesome Father / Son project!
Mike Hardesty aka: "chasm"
'51 CJ3A: Restored Garage Queen
'83 CJ8 Scrambler: To Do List...
'93 YJ: 2.5" R.E. lift, 31" Swamper SSR's, Olympic Rock bumper, smashed Stainless exhaust, U-bolt skids, Warn M-8000 winch.
'08 Liberty: (wife's DD)

chasm

• Blonde / Bomber...
    • View Profile
    • JeepChasm
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2011, 12:01:26 pm »
Glad I got to see Tad's CJ at the show! He should be proud of his work on his project.  ;)
'93 YJ: 2.5" R.E. lift, 31" Swamper SSR's, Olympic Rock bumper, smashed Stainless exhaust, U-bolt skids, Warn M-8000 winch.

hillbilly

• adam lewis - appalachian american - B.O.D.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2011, 09:01:08 pm »
yep hes proud as heck, he didnt win anything but like he said " it aint pretty but its mine". he was more happy about just being there than anything else, we had a couple "perfectionists" come by nit picking but i set them straight as nicely as i could.
build it, beat it, break it, fix it, repeat
A member of the church requests to be buried in his jeep because "It ain't never been in a hole it couldn't get out of."
   91 xj 8.5" lift -33" x 12.50 and my own additions
 94 xj (wifes) 3.5" lift and the boys 1979 cj7

chasm

• Blonde / Bomber...
    • View Profile
    • JeepChasm
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2011, 12:09:31 pm »
yep hes proud as heck, he didnt win anything but like he said " it aint pretty but its mine". he was more happy about just being there than anything else, we had a couple "perfectionists" come by nit picking but i set them straight as nicely as i could.

F@#K the "perfectionists!" I get tired of folks bashing other people's projects, just because it isn't "original" or "perfect." WHATEVER. I hear it plenty too... "you know that yellow wasn't an original color..." well duh, Dodge Viper Yellow wasn't available in 1951, I think I know that. "There's your sign!"

It's awesome to see youth getting involved in working on vintage vehicles. It's even more awesome when a parent and child do it together. It's Tad's Jeep and he should build it the way he wants it!  ;) Kudos to you both!

hillbilly

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2012, 05:15:57 pm »
well time for an update, we installed a 1.5 inch shackle lift right after the show to fit the awesome tires tad got from Ron Allen, and we picked up a new carb for it and put it on only to realize we have to make a bracket to get the throttle to hook up, rebuilt the power steering pump and replaced the water pump. our latest conquest have been the floor pans, the more you cut out the worse it gets weve gotten all four front plans replaced and heading to the backseat area next, about 500 pop rivets so far then i'll let him do some welding with the stick.
A member of the church requests to be buried in his jeep because "It ain't never been in a hole it couldn't get out of."

HANGMAN

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2012, 01:51:21 am »
         THERE HAS NEVER BEEN A JEEP MADE THAT CAN'T BE FIXED ONE MORE TIME .
THE SATISFACTION OF BUILDING , THINKING ,  AND KNOWING THAT YOU ( TAD ) ARE DOING THIS WITH YOUR TWO HANDS AND THE HELPFUL KNOWLEDGE OF GREAT PEOPLE IN THIS GREAT ORGANIZATION , WITH YOUR FATHER  BY YOUR SIDE , HAS TO BE A GREAT JOY .
( TELL A MAN - BOY HOW TO FIX A JEEP , HE MIGHT REMEMBER FOR A DAY  , SHOW HIM HOW TO FIX A JEEP ,  HE MAY REMEMBER A LITTLE LONGER ,
GET HIS HANDS ON THE JEEP HE WILL NEVER FORGET . )
P.S.  REMEMBER TO KEEP A BOX OF BAND-AIDS HANDY , NO MATTER HOW NICE YOU TREAT HER , SHE 'LL STILL NIP YA ONCE IN A WHILE .
74 jeep CJ5  ( PACKMULE )
BOB BEHLER
OVER, THROUGH OR UNDER

hillbilly

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2012, 10:06:35 pm »
we were trying sooo hard to have it ready for adams, replaced 90 percent of the sheet metal ,body mounts, fuel lines, water pump and power steering rebuild, all in less than two weeks. only to have the front rotor shatter, yes shatter, on our test run this evening. but yes it is a great time and the short sleep nights and long days to get it ready are still worth it. lots of pics to come.

hillbilly

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2012, 09:00:03 pm »
all right lets see if the pics work

a boy and his jeep alone at a car show

new front fender install

brand spankin new gas tank

rear wheel wells being replaced

new tailgate and rear tailgate panel with rear corner being replaced

rear panel

rear floors being replaced

new front floors in and rhino lined

kick panel being replaced

hillbilly

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2012, 09:08:37 pm »

new fenders before paint

old fenders, whats left of them

getting his hands dirty one of very very many

pinion seal

and what old jeep hasnt had the unexpected electrical fire,   at the jeep show

new hand made rear corner installed

various pics while in progress

hillbilly

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2013, 09:38:18 am »
next update. had to take a break for a while and with a back injury but we got a 97 tj family style roll bar, doors and soft top for it. now we are in the process of pulling and rebuilding the engine. the engine is stripped of heads and intake pulling the block out today and then to find a shop to put the rings and bearings in. hopefully having it ready for adams.  anyone know of a decent garage capable of installing them?

hillbilly

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2013, 07:28:25 am »
motors rebuilt and back in. we decided to do it all ourselves  ??? but seems to run fine, worked out a few bugs literally while we had it apart a bee built a nest in the carb.  after our test run we noticed a lot of oil on the ground from the valve cover leaking but it was still the old one no problem. after the carb fix and oil leak we ended up with another oil leak from the new 4 piece oil pan gasket so we removed it and are replacing it with a one piece gasket. we got the tj doors on and a striker plate made so the doors close and latch, along with the tj family style rollbar with shoulder seatbelts for extra safety. we had an issue with the brand new radiator leaking so it was pulled and replaced on sunday. wired up the soundbar and put a mechanical oil pressure gauge. still a few more things that need done but might be ready for adams.

hillbilly

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2013, 10:11:02 pm »
time for updates, we got everything together and made it to adams jeep jam with little to no issues, but after we were there we were having fuel issues that turned out to be a bad new fuel pump, and the carb piston had a crack in it that didn't squirt right so we nursed it home and blew a high pressure power steering line on the way so we pulled the belt and drove home manual. after we were home installed a new new fuel pump and rebuilt the carb , now she purrs. replaced the high pressure line with a piece of fuel line and BOOM face full of power steering fluid (I still taste it). yeah it was a dumba55 move and I should've known better. bought the correct replacement hose and all is well. the gas gauge still doesn't work as the boy figured out today, lol. (I told him not to be joy riding everywhere) a gallon of gas and he was on his way. all seems to be working well and it will be at the show.   and btw he took second place trail at adams , most people were impressed he actually knew how to fix his own jeep when it broke down.