Author Topic: boys got his first jeep  (Read 45507 times)

hillbilly

• adam lewis - appalachian american - B.O.D.
    • View Profile
Re: boys got his first jeep
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2010, 08:29:52 am »
this jeep build (as well as the marriage) have been temporarily interrupted for deer season.  we are working on small things like carb rebuild and tire swapping. just building up a supply of parts, the ignition column is in and fixed, with new keys. we got a complete bushings kit and a dana 300 we are rebuilding also and building a twin stick kit for it also. found out we have the junk version of the quadratrac, ours doesnt even have the reduction unit on it. have a new radiator ordered should be here next week sometime.
build it, beat it, break it, fix it, repeat
A member of the church requests to be buried in his jeep because "It ain't never been in a hole it couldn't get out of."
   91 xj 8.5" lift -33" x 12.50 and my own additions
 94 xj (wifes) 3.5" lift and the boys 1979 cj7

hillbilly

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2010, 07:37:44 pm »
all right we got a deer in the freezer (not roadkilled either) and was getting some work done on the jeep carb is rebuilt and installed ,   oil changed and fired it up, it runs under its own power, idles a little rough but could be a carb adjustment or timing issue. still got to get a radiator yet but thats on the christmas list (yes christmas not holidays or hannukah or kwanzaa lol), along with hood hinges and floor pans. found the boy asleep in the jeep again lol. good to be a kid.
A member of the church requests to be buried in his jeep because "It ain't never been in a hole it couldn't get out of."

N3IW

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2010, 04:04:51 pm »
Does he get the antlers for his jeep?
Chip Morgan

2000 Wrangler TJ Sport - minor lift + 1.25" BL on 33s; many, many skid plates with more to come

Death Wobble

• Angie Zinn - Wall St. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2010, 06:16:09 pm »
I just saw in a catalog where you could buy reindeer antlers and a red Rudolph nose for your vehicle!
'88 XJ Limited:  4.5" ZONE lift, 32x11.5x15 BFG KM2s, JKS Quicker Discos, Kevin's Off Road rock rails.
'96 XJ Sport: 31x10.5 BFGs, 3" Rusty's lift.
Listen to Clutch.
(and your gut instincts)
CENSORSHIP IS UNAMERICAN!

hillbilly

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2010, 06:20:42 pm »
got the antlers and i did tan a buck tail one year and mounted it on the hitch, til someone stole it. could just hit another deer and leave the red spot on the front, ;D,     but no antlers, they hang on the doors and he doesnt plan on running full doors.

N3IW

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2010, 05:16:35 pm »
Well, if the doors don't work, I would suggest mounting the antlers on the upper corners of the windshield - sort of an inverted curb feeler to check overhead clearance.   :D  And if the buck was big enough they could keep the windshield frame from getting all scuffed up in a rollover.  ;D
Chip Morgan

2000 Wrangler TJ Sport - minor lift + 1.25" BL on 33s; many, many skid plates with more to come

hillbilly

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2010, 06:19:17 pm »
got some more parts for it today from a fellow jeeper, picked up another windshield and frame (cause i broke 2    doh) a matching rear seat, (thanks anyway to qtec), and a radiator. had to give the boy his christmas gifts early but he was just as happy.

etaucher

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2010, 01:27:31 pm »
Any updates?
......Keep on Trucking......
-----------------------------------------
1993 Jeep Wrangler, 4.0L, Auto, 2" Shackle Lift, 31x10.50R15
-----------------------------------------
Edward Taucher

hillbilly

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2011, 09:29:18 pm »
all right the weather is starting to break so time to get some work done, anyone have any two cents on going with shackle reversal?, how about the yj springs upgrade? what about using yj front fenders on a cj? just a few fyi questions to see which way the build goes, this isnt going to be an extreme trail rig just a teeners first vehicle with the pride of doing it himself. but if were going to do it ,it might as well be done right the first time.

K Riccardi

• It was funny you just didn't get it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2011, 09:14:58 am »
Switching to the YJ style front spring is easy and worth the effort.

I have built jeeps with SRS (Shackle reverse system) and I have set them up with the shackle in the front. I love the approach angle of the SRS but I don't think it is worth the trade offs. The SRS tends to get death wobble with a little bit of wear on the bushing. The SRS does not climb as well on the steep  climbs as a similar truck with the shackle in the front. Ten years ago the SRS was the way to go because the springs were so stiff it was the only way to get a decent ride out of them. Now with all of the manufactures switching to soft ride springs it is not worth the effort.

I have YJ fenders on my Scrambler. You need to shorten them about 2'' at the rear of the fender to get them to fit right. Doing it this way gives you room for bigger tires with less lift. The added bonus is TJ flares fit much better on the YJ fenders.
1981 Scrambler (stockish)
2003 Duramax (family car)
1996 xj

Thank you PAJeeps for making it possible for Ballpeen Racing to have a great year competing at RCrocs!

hillbilly

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2011, 10:05:18 am »
thanks jsut getting a bunch of ideas on which way to go, we also picked up an 85 tub with great floors and decent sides. he also got the windshield hinges and some door parts from his grandpa for his birthday, just waiting on the weather now.  and he got a bunch of stickers from KW2J to put on windows that he dont have,lol.

hillbilly

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2011, 07:38:14 pm »
well not a bad weekend so we offed the wheeling and decided to start working on the jeep, pulled the rear driveshaft and replaced the ujoints, adjusted the qtec linkage now the jeep goes in gear and was actually moving under its own power. started replacing the windshield/door hinges and found the first major rust area so we chopped a piece off of the parts tub to replace the bad corner, started stripping the tub down to its major parts for easier movability. pics to come

hillbilly

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2011, 08:32:38 pm »
next update i had the boy remove a 30 yr old gastank ,that was fun none of the bolts broke they all cranked out EXTREMELY slow. tank is out and on the ground and noticed several holes in it from a nail or similar item. trying to remove brake drums and its not working out. still trying to figure out how the alternator gets wired in.

hillbilly

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2011, 04:21:41 pm »
well tried to install an aftermarket stinger bar front bumper we got only to find out it wont fit a cj, then tried to work on the brake system and decided its just better to replace all the brake components, master cylinder ALL the lines and cylinders. ordering a new radiator  then some carb work and itl be ready for the show,lol. got a new double tube style bumper at a swap meet to replace the stinger which we decided to put up for sale. looking into getting some tires yet too.

hillbilly

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2011, 03:14:46 pm »
wow what a work out, so far we have replaced all the brake lines, the master cylinder, wheel cylinders, proportioning valve, alternator and wired it in. cleaned the gastank out and sanded it down fixed as many holes as we could find and painted it, put it back in the jeep. got the radio and cb wired in and working. got some new to us tires and wheels coming.was getting ready for a car show on sunday and the power steering pump went out saturday night so we made the mad dash sunday morning to get on and get it installed to get to the show. also got all 4 rancho shocks on now. alot of work and most of the parts from fellow jeepers or craigslist. she'll be ready for our show for sure. lot of work but worth it.