Author Topic: Need Help!, 93 YJ  (Read 5518 times)

draugo1971

• Nothing But Jeeps!!!
    • View Profile
Need Help!, 93 YJ
« on: August 20, 2010, 07:54:51 am »
I need expert advise, keep in mind I am not a hard core rock crawling off roader, I do like doing some on a smaller scale tho, but do love play'n in da mud!

My Jeep takes a Chevy small block v8 and want to use a chevy transmission and a chevy transfer case, the conversion unit to make a np231 fit a chevy transmission is like 500+ and then have to get a shop to install the output shaft from it in the trans and that cost alot too. What chevy transfer case can I use that is drivers drop? I have a th400 trans but can use something differant if it would make things easier. (automatic choices plz) I like manuals but like auto better in the mud.

I have a ford 8.8 posi rear installed so I have to get drivelines made anyway so that isnt an issue. Yes I already know a SYE is best way to go LOL.  ;)

My front axle is factory with 4.10s and was going to put 4.10s in rear to match . But if their is a better axle choice for my front please tell me. or will my front axle be fine with the v8? if I use original front axle I was just going to get a posi-lok kit for it.

I dont mind spending the money to make sure my drive train will hold up, but spending like a $1000 bucks just to marry a np231 to a chevy trans seems a waste when I am sure there is a chevy choice out there.
???
97 Jeep TJ Wrangler. It's not just a Jeep, It's like one of my children!!!

Davew

• Jenn's On Board Mechanic
    • View Profile
Re: Need Help!, 93 YJ
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 06:52:52 pm »
If you use a 700 r4  trans you can use the Jeep 231 t/c but you need to swap the input gear on the t/c from a s-10 . It's cheaper than buying the conversion kit
Stupidity, if left untreated is self-correcting

draugo1971

• Nothing But Jeeps!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Need Help!, 93 YJ
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 10:01:29 am »
If you use a 700 r4  trans you can use the Jeep 231 t/c but you need to swap the input gear on the t/c from a s-10 . It's cheaper than buying the conversion kit

We have a 700r4 with a chevy np231tc sitting in the shop we took out of a s10 4x4, would that hold up to my v8?

I steered away from a 700 cause I keep hearing mixed feelings about the 700s durability.

I do have a jeep 231 I could use, but I thought the bolt pattern between the chevy 231 and the jeep 231 was differant?
97 Jeep TJ Wrangler. It's not just a Jeep, It's like one of my children!!!