Author Topic: Spider gears and Locker  (Read 5287 times)

Rusty XJ

• Rickie Wilson Jr.
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Spider gears and Locker
« on: July 09, 2010, 12:41:31 pm »
So I have a Detroit spider gear replacement locker in the rear Dana 44 of my XJ. I had thought I was having issues with my clutch because it seems to slip when pulling out. But I'm not sure what the problem is. I'm torn between rear diff or clutch. I'm going to try to bring it to the meeting tonight if anyone would like to try and help.
Rick Wilson Jr.
Is that DEATH WOBBLE or did we just enter Pennsylvania?
'95 XJ 2 Door, 4.0, 5spd, 7" random lift, 35x12.5 BFG ATs, 4.56 gears, Dana 44 Mini-spooled, Dana 30 w/ Detroit Truetrac and manual hubs, Bushwacker Flares, Warrior Front Bumper, JCR Rear Bumper, etc etc...

Davew

• Jenn's On Board Mechanic
    • View Profile
Re: Spider gears and Locker
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 01:04:33 pm »
Spider gears aren't moving when you are starting to move provided you aren't turning. Can you give more detailed info on the issue
Stupidity, if left untreated is self-correcting

Rusty XJ

• Rickie Wilson Jr.
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 01:14:13 pm »
When I go to pull out it makes a bit of a moan noise and then peels out. Almost like something is slipping for a brief second and then finally grabs. It does it no matter what gear I pull out in and makes the noise around turns when I'm not even touching the clutch. I was thinking of swapping the lunchbox locker out for spider gears, just to see if the little used locker has seen it's better days and needs retired.
Rick Wilson Jr.
'95 XJ 2 Door, 4.0, 5spd, 7" random lift, 35x12.5 BFG ATs, 4.56 gears, Dana 44 Mini-spooled, Dana 30 w/ Detroit Truetrac and manual hubs, Bushwacker Flares, Warrior Front Bumper, JCR Rear Bumper, etc etc...

Rusty XJ

• Rickie Wilson Jr.
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 01:14:47 pm »
I also have the correct additive that was recommended to me when I called their tech support.
Rick Wilson Jr.