Author Topic: Welding Spider Gears  (Read 15060 times)

etaucher

• View Profile
Welding Spider Gears
« on: July 04, 2010, 12:34:40 am »
Would it be wise to weld the spider gears in my DD 1990 Cherokee?
......Keep on Trucking......
-----------------------------------------
1993 Jeep Wrangler, 4.0L, Auto, 2" Shackle Lift, 31x10.50R15
Edward Taucher

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
Re: Welding Spider Gears
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 07:30:36 am »
I wouldn't do it to a daily driver myself.
Do Your Duty And History Will Do You Justice...!
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...

etaucher

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 09:03:05 am »
All it would really do is chirp the rears when I go around a turn right?
Edward Taucher

twdjeepgod

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 04:12:56 pm »
it puts tremendous strain on your axles and tires.  i am not opposed to wedling spiders but not on a street vehicle.

your tires will wear out so fast it will blow your mind. plus it puts a lot of force on your axle shafts when going around corners.

anything else you want to know

what rear axle ???
97' tj: rocked, locked and big blocked

etaucher

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 10:01:19 am »
The crappy Dana Rear, I want to replace it with a 8.25 once I blow the rear out.
Edward Taucher

MUDDY

• Jon Vasellas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 11:19:23 am »
just upgrade to a locker. that way your not spitting axles out. but see if you can find a dana 44
98 grand cherokee mild liFT
97 CHEVY 3IN LIFT

etaucher

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 01:01:09 am »
Well my one friend will weld my spider gears on friday, what is everyones real thought on this? Is it a big mistake or what?
Edward Taucher

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 02:05:40 am »
I'm not so sure what you are seeking here...?

Bear with me...I'm not sure we have ever met personally, but I feel I know you through this forum and have formed my opinion.
There is one thing that has yet to fail my aging body and that is my memory.

Just to be sure that my memory hasn't failed me I "searched" through all of your posts. Wow, you have a good number of them (14 total) in this category. Hell, you brought this one up before and continue to bring it up.
And each and every one of them you have asked for advise on something or about doing something and have received very knowledgeable advise.
Do you just type to build your "post" count...?

However, each and every time you continue to re-word your question. That's fine, but I can't figure you out. Twisting scenerios doesn't neccissarily change the end result.
It's simple mechanical equations when you truely think about it.
What's weak...what's strong...what will be affected...etc...etc...etc.
I'm sure this will bring about some ill feelings of me in your mind. Understand that I am just trying to figure you out...and with your continued "doubt" doesn't make it easy.

You've received approx. 250 years of accumulated, sound advise in this forum yet you still doubt/question it. Perhaps we're NOT the people you should be questioning  ???
I'm off my "soap box" now. I had a long day at work and need to get some sleep before another long day tomorrow...OMG it is tomorrow already.

Have a Good Day and a Better Tomorrow.....I know I will  ;D

YOU SHOULD KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING IS A MISTAKE...YOU HAVE BEEN TOLD BY EVERYONE HERE THAT HAS REPLIED SO WHY DO YOU CONTINUE TO ASK...???
Do Your Duty And History Will Do You Justice...!
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...

etaucher

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 09:50:49 am »
I keep asking this question because I do want to do it, but I wasn't sure on doing it to my DD. Im not just posting to get posts. Im sorry to ask the same question over and over.
Edward Taucher

draugo1971

• Nothing But Jeeps!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2010, 10:18:53 am »
I know etaucher personaly and trust me he isnt doing these just because he needs posts, he naturally is just a doubter and asks many questions and alot of them are repeats lol. He is a nice guy but is someone who is highly unsure of himself and that transforms to being usure of everyone else. We all hear have told him the same thing on this matter but yet he still doesnt know which way he should steer.

Ed I will say once agian buddy, Welding your rear could end up costing you far more than just an axle swap could cost. I used a ford 8.8 in my YJ and it was only $150, I am not sure if it would fit in a cherokee but I am sure that these VERY KNOWLEDGABLE! PEOPLE could tell you that.

I have an Idea, write down the answers you get from here and note them, that way you wont forget and ask again. Your question shouldnt be "should I weld" It should be "what rear should I get and what vehicle can I get it out of ?"
97 Jeep TJ Wrangler. It's not just a Jeep, It's like one of my children!!!

etaucher

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2010, 10:31:20 am »
I wanted to weld the rears, so then it would be a cheap posi rear, I already got a good rear in there, so I figured it would hold up to being welded. But If it helps anyone, I have decided not to do it. lol
Edward Taucher

CJ8Ted

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2010, 02:41:49 pm »
I have two ???

1. What rear do you have?

2. What are you planning to do in the Jeep (trails, ;D rocks, :o mud, >:D sand at the beach, 8) burn outs at the truck show :P)

Ted
85' CJ8 on 33s w/ 4.56s

etaucher

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2010, 06:28:47 pm »
I have the 8.25 rear, and it would be a DD and a bit of everything, mud, rocks, climbing.
Edward Taucher

CJ8Ted

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2010, 09:57:50 am »
If it is a 8.25 that came w/ the 1990 Xj it is only 27 spline. Not the strongest thing to be locking. IMO

As for what your going to do with the Jeep.  Lockers have there place, deep mud, big rocks, or places where you dont have enough suspention traval to keep more than two wheels on traction at the same time. This does not mean you can't go places if your not locked or you will not have a fun time if you don't have lockers. I got schooled on my first (real) trip off pavement. I told Brett" I need to get some lockers"  he replied "if you cant get over it to keep your tires on the ground the extra traction won't do any good". That was almost eight years ago.
My advise it to wheel it untill you need lockers, if the lack of a traction devise is holding you back from having fun, than at that point go for it, only if the axle will take it.   

I will get off the soap box now.

Ted 
85' CJ8 on 33s w/ 4.56s

MUDDY

• Jon Vasellas
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2010, 12:01:56 pm »
i agree with Ted on that. For example check out the pics. from this years jeep show that Wobble posted. i took my 88xj over the big rocks after Mt. Zion took the deuce over them. And I didn't  have lockers at all just open rears . It's all on how you set up your rig. For what you want it to drive on. plus having great spotters helps out alot. so the next time there is a trip to RC just come up and just see what your limits are with your set-up.
                                                                                                                                                   muddy
98 grand cherokee mild liFT
97 CHEVY 3IN LIFT