Author Topic: Hot-n-Bothered TJ >>>Now Cool-n-Smooth...as usual<<<  (Read 5784 times)

DeadheadTJ

• View Profile
Hot-n-Bothered TJ >>>Now Cool-n-Smooth...as usual<<<
« on: June 27, 2010, 11:09:51 pm »
As I was coming home from a golf course in the Fishing Creek area above Harrisburg, bear in mind that it was 3:00 in the afternoon and 95 stinkin' degrees out, my TJ seemed to be running a little on the toasty side. No boil over, but it was above the 210 mark while running on Rt. 283.

I'm going to start with a flush and fill, new 'stat and housing, and see what happens from there. I know that the OEM radiators are basically junk (with the plastic tank and whatnot) and replacing it is going to be a consideration as well. Any suggestions as to which radiator I should install? I would like to keep it a bolt in replacement...only a heavier-duty unit.

Oh yeah, I also added a winch a couple months ago, and maybe that's blocking some of the airflow to the rad. I have a vinyl cover on the winch...maybe I could just peel that off and see if the increased airflow helps with the cooling.

I have an electric SPAL fan that I was going to put in my F150, but it might find a new home in the TJ...if it fits.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 07:07:12 pm by DeadheadTJ »
'99 TJ Sport (Trail Rig, Weekend Toy)
'10 F150 XLT 4x4  (Daily Driver, Tow Rig)
'04 Jeep Grand Cherokee (the Better Half's!)
Martin "DeadheadTJ" Rohrbach

Davew

• Jenn's On Board Mechanic
    • View Profile
Re: Hot-n-Bothered TJ
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 06:36:52 pm »
It probably the cover. Jenn's jeep will do the samething. Go ahead and do the flush and all ,just as a preventive maintenance thing. When it comes time to find a replacement radiator good luck . I do this for a living and I can't find quality ones they are either China made $hit  or Very high end competition units. 
This from Quadratec. 
 Griffin Radiators™ Sportsman Series Aluminum Radiator for 92-02 Jeep® Wrangler YJ & TJ
Each Griffin performance radiator is manufactured to simply "drop in" your Wrangler without modifications or drilling. Not your average one-size-fits all radiator, these extra capacity units hold all critical dimensions to accept your factory fan shroud, hoses and other necessary equipment... more
» Click here for details  $499.99   51210.2101
Stupidity, if left untreated is self-correcting

DeadheadTJ

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 08:41:12 pm »
I'll tell ya...I've had more "confidence inspiring" replies to my questions in the past, Mr. Watson!  ;) 

That's kind of the notion that I got while surfin' for new rads. I bought one of the $hitty $100 chinese ones for my F150 about a year ago, and it seems to holding up fine...for now. The "Be Cool" units look to be the direction that I'm leaning, unless my CFO/accountant/girlfriend finds out how much they cost.

I just got done doing the flush-n-fill, new t-stat (what a pain in the a$$ that was!), and I'm in the process of topping it off and taking it for a shakedown cruise. I'm going to leave the cover on the winch for the shakedown to see how it acts.

Thanks for the reply...your help and advice is appreciated.

DeadheadTJ

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 06:59:54 pm »
Hey Dave,
    It seems that I can't run with the cover on the winch...I took it off last night and ran it all day without the temp going above 210*. At least my Jeep now has fresh antifreeze and a new t-stat, and the cooling system has been flushed clean! As long as it doesn't run hot, I'm not going to concern myself with a new rad...unless a sweet-a$$ deal comes along.

Now on to the important stuff...axles, lockers, etc.!!!

Thanks again for your advice.

Davew

• Jenn's On Board Mechanic
    • View Profile
Re: Hot-n-Bothered TJ >>>Now Cool-n-Smooth...as usual<<<
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 08:30:45 pm »
good job
Stupidity, if left untreated is self-correcting