Author Topic: Pros & Cons of the truetrac diff  (Read 8703 times)

Dhjeeproker2

• View Profile
Pros & Cons of the truetrac diff
« on: April 25, 2010, 11:20:32 am »
What are the pros and cons of the truetrac differential ?
It goes in to Hoak’s on 6/14 for 4.88 and I’m looking at the truetrrac in the back and maybe the front.   

David Heisey
2002 Blue TJ on 35

(Tattoo) Jack

• Jack Utter
    • View Profile
Re: Pros & Cons of the truetrac diff
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 01:17:27 pm »
   IMO...

The TrueTrac works pretty good in the front of my XJ, there are times when it works really good and then there's times when it's OK. But I have to say I'm still running stock 27 spline shafts and it has pulled me up pretty rocky climbs without breaking anything, so that's a plus. As with all LS, if you pulse the brakes when one tire gets light you can transfer some of the torque over to the tire with the most traction.

As for the back, Auburn HP Limited Slip http://www.auburngear.com/aftermarket/product_listing.aspx?category=4ea7b7ea-ad65-492a-830f-1b8a333d16ef is the way to go! I have this in my stock 8.25 and it's AWESOME  ;D  and Hoak's put these in for me. I would love to have this in the front, I believe that combo would be as close as you could get to being Locked without worrying about breaking shafts, but they don't make this for the Dana 30. The only downside, which doesn't bother me, is you have to run Fiction Modifier, just like all the other clutch or cone LS.

As with all LS they are... well, Limited in their traction (which is good if you're running stock shafts). The HP unit I run in the rear does seem to get tighter as more and more Torque is applied  ;D. As you can tell, I can't say enough good things about the Auburn HP Limited Slip.

WARNING: as with any traction device you run in the rear, on wet roads if you jump on it and cause both tires to spin you WILL fish tail  :o  That's something to think about if you're on a curve or slopped road.

Tattoo 8)

The only way to know your limits...  is to surpass them!

Don't Shop - Adopt
   "Save Your Best Friends Life, Adopt a Rescue"
       If it's not a Dobermann, it's just a Dawg...

CJ8Ted

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 07:29:43 pm »
I was reading not to run them over 33" tires. I cant remember where I read it It may have been a link to Detroit. also not for rear appication. though they make them for the rear ??? Other than they are not a true locker, folks I have read about on Jeepforums that run there Jeeps on the street like them.

Ted 
85' CJ8 on 33s w/ 4.56s

Dhjeeproker2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 05:39:15 pm »
Thanks
David Heisey
2002 Blue TJ on 35

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 12:00:55 am »
Yeah, it's actually a "limited slip" differential Dave. Detroit sells the most popular under the Eaton name.
I honestly don't think you would be happy with one. But then again it really depends on what you want to do.

Limited Slips are what they are called.....LIMITED
Do Your Duty And History Will Do You Justice...!
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...