Author Topic: Timing chain  (Read 4731 times)

airframer

• View Profile
Timing chain
« on: March 30, 2010, 11:28:03 am »
So I have some light marks on the inside of my timing cover, does that mean the chain needs to be replaced. I read that chains can goto 200k. I only have 76k.
05 TJ, Lifted, Locked, Geared, and Homemade armor.

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
Re: Timing chain
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 12:23:23 pm »
Over time, wear on internal working parts of your engine will need replacement. One of the internal working parts that wear is the timing chain and timing sprockets. The timing chain and sprockets are the connecting line between the crankshaft and the camshaft. As the crankshaft turns, via the timing chain, it drives the camshaft that operates the engine's valves via the lifters, push rods and rocker arm assemblies The timing of the valves opening and closing at precise intervals is crucial for proper engine operation. As the timing chain and sprockets wear, this precise timing of the valves gradually changes, eventually to a point where replacement is necessary.

Telltale signs of worn out timing chain are:
1) Rough idle.
2) Sluggish performance and poor economy.
3) Sudden engine performance change including the inability to start the engine.
4) Intermittent backfire through the intake manifold.
5) Inconsistent ignition timing or a clattering noise coming from the front of the engine.

I hope this helps
Do Your Duty And History Will Do You Justice...!
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...

airframer

• View Profile
Re: Timing chain
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 12:52:54 pm »
Actually it does because I have none of those issues, thank you.
05 TJ, Lifted, Locked, Geared, and Homemade armor.