Author Topic: Intermittent Start  (Read 3904 times)

goalpost95

Intermittent Start
« on: March 22, 2010, 09:02:39 am »
From a cold start my xj will fire up right away no problems but after getting to warmup temperature just below 210 and driving around my startup is really really rough and sometimes nothing at all.

Sometimes it will start up and then stall, other times it will start but i have to put the throttle down and keep the rpms out so it doesn't stall out.

About 6months ago I replaced all spark plugs, distributor cap, rotor and wires.
Today to try to solve the problem which I assumed was fuel related I replaced the fuel filter.

Last week I also changed the motor oil and poured in engine restore along with it. Also changed the front and rear differential oil. I would assume this is unrelated but I'm just about out of ideas.

Any help would be great or some direction at least.
Thanks

hillbilly

• adam lewis - appalachian american - B.O.D.
    • View Profile
Re: Intermittent Start
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 12:47:40 pm »
my wifes 94 xj does the rough start thing, but if she shuts it off ,turns the key on and wait til the radio kicks on it runs fine , hers is the fuel pump going out, did you check the fuel pressure regulator to see if you have pressure when it doesnt want to fire.
build it, beat it, break it, fix it, repeat
A member of the church requests to be buried in his jeep because "It ain't never been in a hole it couldn't get out of."
   91 xj 8.5" lift -33" x 12.50 and my own additions
 94 xj (wifes) 3.5" lift and the boys 1979 cj7