Author Topic: Issues with installation of TJ Fender Flairs  (Read 9187 times)

Deadpool

• I swear, if I didn't have to work on this Jeep....
    • View Profile
Issues with installation of TJ Fender Flairs
« on: March 17, 2010, 09:34:36 pm »
I got a set of stock Rubicon Flairs for my '98 TJ Sport. I like the wider flairs than the stock, and these are in better shape than my stock flairs. Here's the issue, I have only tried one fender (Front Passenger) but there is one of the bolts at the back of the flair by the door that is NOT removing. It's spinning with the bolt and I can't figure out how to lock it so that I can install the new fiairs. I'm going to check the other fender flairs to see if I'll have a similar issue with the other bolts.

Here's the question, what's the easiest way to install these new flairs if the existing bolts/screws are giving issues and have to be cut/drilled out? Is there any secret to get these installed even though they are stock, or is it just dumb luck if they'll install or not?

All help, suggestions, offerings of assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Joe
1998 Jeep TJ Sport - with mods
2007 Dodge Nitro SLT (Wife's)

Joe Roos

Diablo

• Trail Retard
    • View Profile
Re: Issues with installation of TJ Fender Flairs
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 11:00:33 pm »
I'm pretty sure they used a nutsert where you are having your spinning issue.  The bolt probably rusted to the nutsert and when you tried to loosen the nut it spun the entire set up instead of loosening.  Those got ripped clean out when my fender flare got ripped off.  I would assume that you would need to drill it out and replace the nutsert.  I have no idea how to do that though.  Good luck!
You do own a hairdryer don't you she asked? Of course I do, he replied, it's in the driveway, it's called a Jeep.

94 ZJ - 3" Skycrapper w/31s
97 TJ - HP30 + Ford 8.8 swap, NV3550 Swap
02 TJ - 2" REBB - 1.25" BL, belly up, 33s in the works

Mike D

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 02:27:30 am »
I drilled it out and used a stainless steel bolt two washers and a lock nut

Rusty XJ

• Rickie Wilson Jr.
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 10:50:34 am »
If all else fails get a bigger hammer and a sawzall! That's what usually works for me.  ;D
Rick Wilson Jr.
Is that DEATH WOBBLE or did we just enter Pennsylvania?
'95 XJ 2 Door, 4.0, 5spd, 7" random lift, 35x12.5 BFG ATs, 4.56 gears, Dana 44 Mini-spooled, Dana 30 w/ Detroit Truetrac and manual hubs, Bushwacker Flares, Warrior Front Bumper, JCR Rear Bumper, etc etc...

hillbilly

• adam lewis - appalachian american - B.O.D.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 12:36:55 pm »
you could do like alot ive seen, they use zip ties so when they wheel too tight the zip ties are the weak point not the fender.
build it, beat it, break it, fix it, repeat
A member of the church requests to be buried in his jeep because "It ain't never been in a hole it couldn't get out of."
   91 xj 8.5" lift -33" x 12.50 and my own additions
 94 xj (wifes) 3.5" lift and the boys 1979 cj7

Deadpool

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 06:41:56 pm »
ok,  I can understand the stainless steel bolt & lock nut for the 3 bolts on each side of the Jeep by the doors for holding on the fender flair, but what about the back?? What is the most common thing for the rear fender flairs for getting them installed properly?? I'm just looking to get the best idea before I get started. Figure it's better to ask now BEFORE I started, then risk getting 1/2 way done and not able to do anything to finish the job.

If there's anyone willing to get a newbie a hand with this stuff, please let me know. Depending on where you are, and when we can do it, I'm able to go to get help. Otherwise, I'll need the help here in my parking lot.

Thank you for all that have responded so far... I greatly appreciate it.

Joe Roos

dhaines

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 06:55:04 pm »
With the rear flares you have to pull the inner wheel well liner down by removing the plastic plugs that hold it in place. You can then get to the nut plates and hold them with pliers.   ON the front screw by the door you may be able to cut the head off the screw to get the flare off then you may be able to hold the insert and drill it out. Good luck   working in a parking lot isn't easy.
Happy Trails & Good Wheelin  Denny Haines

Deadpool

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 09:23:31 pm »
Thank you for the insight Denny, I've been looking at the flairs I got from ya, and just being anxious to get them on! I got everything else installed and it's great, but it's just getting the flairs done.

Thanks everyone for the insight, it's greatly appreciated.  ;D

Joe Roos