Author Topic: Dead Jeep and can't figure out why  (Read 18720 times)

Diablo

• Trail Retard
    • View Profile
Dead Jeep and can't figure out why
« on: March 08, 2010, 04:09:05 pm »
Alright guys and gals I know I'm new to the area and most of you don't know me, but I need some help on this one. 

My Jeep is dead again and is doing the same thing it was doing before it was "fixed".  This is the problem in a nutshell:

It has power in the on and accessory positions. Once you go to crank it all the power cuts out and therefore won't start. It doesn't come back on until the Jeep sits for awhile. I don't know if it's a bad ground or the ignition or what.

I was gone for an hour and just tried it again when I got home. The power was back on, but I went to crank it and nothing. I tried first without the clutch pushed in and it was fine (didn't start but the power stayed on). I pushed the clutch in and tried to crank it and it kicked back out again. This is really frustrating.

There's a whole thread on it here:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ignition-switch-something-else-key-no-power-825427/

I have replaced the starter, alternator, and battery.  I have replacement battery cables to try out, but I would need someone to lend a hand in installing them.  I have none of my tools with me.  I don't know what else would be causing this.  The ignition possibly?  Any ideas?   :-[
You do own a hairdryer don't you she asked? Of course I do, he replied, it's in the driveway, it's called a Jeep.

94 ZJ - 3" Skycrapper w/31s
97 TJ - HP30 + Ford 8.8 swap, NV3550 Swap
02 TJ - 2" REBB - 1.25" BL, belly up, 33s in the works

Davew

• Jenn's On Board Mechanic
    • View Profile
Re: Dead Jeep and can't figure out why
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 07:48:20 pm »
Have all these part been replaced for this exact problem? The reason I ask is because it sound like a poor connection problem . All the pieces that you have replaced could cause this problem if it has a bad connection . Before you spend any money on parts double /triple check all connections starting at the battery working back to the starter and block. Than put a volt meter on the battery and check the voltage without any loads than check while you try to start if the voltage stay the same the battery is OK but should it drop lower than 10 volts you got a bad battery. Don't jump the gun and tell me you know all the connections are good, recheck them first by loosening/ cleaning and re tightening them . If any of the contact areas have paint/rust/corrosion clean to bare metal.
Stupidity, if left untreated is self-correcting

hillbilly

• adam lewis - appalachian american - B.O.D.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 09:05:41 pm »
x2 with dave, had a fellow member on here get stuck before a meeting and everyone said it was the starter,alt,comp, and it was just a bad battery terminal. 2 min fix in his case.
build it, beat it, break it, fix it, repeat
A member of the church requests to be buried in his jeep because "It ain't never been in a hole it couldn't get out of."
   91 xj 8.5" lift -33" x 12.50 and my own additions
 94 xj (wifes) 3.5" lift and the boys 1979 cj7

Diablo

• Trail Retard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 10:09:48 pm »
I have a completely brand new set of custom cables (1 awg welding cable/wire) sitting here.  I just have to put them in.  I asked around on Jeepforum looking for local guys to York to help me install them.  Never done them before/don't have my tools here with me.  I think I have someone willing to help me get them put in.  I'm leaning towards a bad connection somewhere too, but these cables are really shot.  Let me see if I can find a picture, no laughing!   ;D

Old battery:

New battery:

Cables aren't in the greatest shape so I'm going to replace them as soon as I can find some help.   :)
You do own a hairdryer don't you she asked? Of course I do, he replied, it's in the driveway, it's called a Jeep.

hillbilly

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 10:12:44 pm »
where bouts in york are you located?  might help with finding help.
A member of the church requests to be buried in his jeep because "It ain't never been in a hole it couldn't get out of."

Diablo

• Trail Retard
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 10:35:42 pm »
East York I think.  Powdermill Apartments.

hillbilly

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 09:53:19 am »
you only live like 2 miles from the meeting, you ought to stop by this weekend at the meeting and im sure with all of us there someone can figure it out / give you a hand. got plenty of tools and parking lot fixing behind us .lol  just an idea

N3IW

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 11:29:19 am »
From the looks of the positive cable in the photo, I'd look at every connection and clean it - both positive and negative (ground connections are often overlooked).   That positive cable is really iffy and if the others are in similar condition coupled with dirty connections......
Chip Morgan

2000 Wrangler TJ Sport - minor lift + 1.25" BL on 33s; many, many skid plates with more to come

Diablo

• Trail Retard
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 04:03:07 pm »
you only live like 2 miles from the meeting, you ought to stop by this weekend at the meeting and im sure with all of us there someone can figure it out / give you a hand. got plenty of tools and parking lot fixing behind us .lol  just an idea

What day/time is the meeting?  I won't have the Jeep with me.   :D

Do you guys hang around outside or meet in an actual room?  I'll definitely come and meet whoever is there. 

Also, here are the new cables:

hillbilly

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2010, 06:23:22 pm »
its at the parks building there are directions on the main forum page its sunday at noon. and yes we hang around before, after, during the meeting.  nothing fancy dress casual.if its really warm we hold it outside

heres the directions

From I83 South take Exit 16A (Rt. 74 South). Proceed on Rt. 74 South through three traffic lights and turn left onto Oak Street.
Proceed on Oak Street to the stop sign. Proceed straight on at the stop sign (after stopping of course) past the York Regional Police Station towards the end of the lane. At the playground on your left turn left into the parking lot. We utilize the pavilion and the adjascent building.

Diablo

• Trail Retard
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2010, 08:45:01 pm »
I know where the building is because I pass it every time I go home to NJ.   ;D

Adjacent building  ??? ... I'll just follow everyone else. 

I'll see you guys Sunday at noon!   :)

hillbilly

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2010, 09:01:04 pm »
along the soccer/tennis fields all the way to the end look for the jeeps

Diablo

• Trail Retard
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2010, 09:17:16 pm »
Will do!

tpocjr

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2010, 08:28:58 pm »
hey just a suggestion i'm kinda going through thed same problem with my yj but my coil has no power to it... there are a couple relays under the hood you can jump out one is the safety shut down relay and the other is for the starter if u put your key in the on position you can jump out the starter relay and "start" your jeep under the hood i'll have to take a look and get u the contacts you have to jump out i think its 35 n 87 but don't quote me on that i'll get back to you tomorrow cause i'll be tearing into mine some more
Thomas Pockevich Jr
95 yj,2.5L, ARB snorkel, K&N filter,2"susp lift,heavy duty shackles,Borla cat back,pacesetter header,uniden cb w/ 10' whip antenna,29x8.50 TSLs etc...

'10 jk,Borla cat back single exit,K&N filter,Mopar splash guards

Diablo

• Trail Retard
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2010, 08:47:03 am »
hey just a suggestion i'm kinda going through thed same problem with my yj but my coil has no power to it... there are a couple relays under the hood you can jump out one is the safety shut down relay and the other is for the starter if u put your key in the on position you can jump out the starter relay and "start" your jeep under the hood i'll have to take a look and get u the contacts you have to jump out i think its 35 n 87 but don't quote me on that i'll get back to you tomorrow cause i'll be tearing into mine some more

Whoa, that's way over my head!  I have read about jumping relays and all that, but I have no idea how to do that.  A guy off of Jeepforum volunteered to help me put the battery cables in.  We are going to do that today.  If that doesn't work then I'm at a loss for what to do next.  I'm really starting to hate my Jeep.   :D

What's a safety shut down relay?   ???  I have absolutely no power in my Jeep right now since I wasn't able to reset the battery after the last time it kicked out on me.