Author Topic: OBD II Codes  (Read 6273 times)

DeadheadTJ

• View Profile
OBD II Codes
« on: February 08, 2010, 10:26:08 pm »
Hey all! My '99 TJ is showing me a CHECK ENGINE light as of Saturday AM...yep, we were out rompin' in the snow. It's running fine, wasn't running hot, checked the oil level (it was fine, as usual), gas cap is a little over a year old (thought that might be the culprit) looked at this, looked at that, and I'm stumped.  ???

Does anyone know how to bring up the OBD II codes by doing the key-turning-trick deal? I cycled the switch between ON and OFF 3 times and left it set at ON and ACC on seperate attempts, and no codes came up in the Odometer. Is that the right procedure? I'm almost to the point of pulling the battery cable to see if it goes away, but I would rather know what the issue is before I do that.

I did it before, but it was a looooong time ago, and I forgot 'exactly' how I did it. With another 2 feet of snow coming tomorrow, I need to drive it to get to work....the "Ugly-A$$ Beater" is NOT snow worthy!  ::)
'99 TJ Sport (Trail Rig, Weekend Toy)
'10 F150 XLT 4x4  (Daily Driver, Tow Rig)
'04 Jeep Grand Cherokee (the Better Half's!)
Martin "DeadheadTJ" Rohrbach

Joe Giglio

• View Profile
Re: OBD II Codes
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 11:30:58 am »
Just take it to Advanced Auto. They will pull the code free of charge.

Joe

Davew

• Jenn's On Board Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 07:14:02 pm »
Requires a scan tool for reading and clearing OBD2 codes .  see Joes post. 
Stupidity, if left untreated is self-correcting

Rusty XJ

• Rickie Wilson Jr.
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 07:24:16 pm »
If you're anywhere near Emig Mill Rd in Dover in your travels I have an OB2 reader. I can scan them for you sometime free of charge or as Joe said parts stores will do it free too.
Rick Wilson Jr.
Is that DEATH WOBBLE or did we just enter Pennsylvania?
'95 XJ 2 Door, 4.0, 5spd, 7" random lift, 35x12.5 BFG ATs, 4.56 gears, Dana 44 Mini-spooled, Dana 30 w/ Detroit Truetrac and manual hubs, Bushwacker Flares, Warrior Front Bumper, JCR Rear Bumper, etc etc...

DeadheadTJ

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 10:58:57 pm »
Ummm, yeah...didn't even think of Advance Auto. There's one right up the street from me here in Columbia. doh!!!

I did notice a bit of a "lump" in the idle while I was waiting for my GF to get off work tonight...probably related.

I know there's a certain cycle that you run the ignition key through and it will throw the code into the odometer window...I just can't remember what it is exactly. Something like ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ACC within 5 seconds.

Thanks Joe...I'm off to Advance Auto tomorrow.

Thanks everyone else.

DeadheadTJ

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 10:38:36 pm »
Cracked header is throwing a code 'cuz the O2 sensor is detecting a lean condition. A TJ...with a cracked header??? How absurd...