Author Topic: Couple questions before I join  (Read 15520 times)

justjeepn19

• View Profile
Couple questions before I join
« on: January 05, 2010, 12:32:02 am »
Okay, I'm interested in joining the club. My jeep is not that modified. Basically a 4 banger with 31x10.50 M/T's. 97 Wrangler. I went up to Rausch Creek wheeling one time and it was awesome and horrible at the same time. Awesome cuz I realized two things. My vehicle can do things I never thought it could do, and horrible because the club I went up with left me in the rear and they left me twice. Oh and I also learned I have a lot to learn about actual wheeling! But as a newbie Rausch Creek is really not a place that you want to be lost with your daily driver! I understand I can break my jeep at any time up there but I don't want it to be because I was left behind and just trying to make it back to the parking lot.
I'm starting small. I have the tires and just got a 2 inch lift kit that will be installed this week or next. Theres a couple other mods I want to do before I get back to Rausch but they should all happen before spring. I want to join a club that realizes my jeep is not a beast! I want to learn how to drive in those conditions and meet new people. The posts here seem really great about that! But I don't want to feel like I'm holding people back from the trails they want to run because of my vehicle.
Jarrett Feeman

Storman

• Safety/Medical Advisor
  • Norm Eckard
    • View Profile
Re: Couple questions before I join
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 05:26:31 am »
Justjeepn19

1st if you would post your actual name in your signature so we know what to refer to you by.

2nd I am sure that if you join you will find that you won't be left in the back.  99% of the rides can be handled by any Jeep, there is a vast knowledge base from the members that can be drawn upon on any ride.  No Judgment and always Teamwork to help you get over any obstacle and back home.
2006 Wrangler Golden Eagle Edition w/3" BDS lift, BFG 33X10.50's, Warn front and rear bumpers, Warn 9.5ti winch and a whole lot more...

2009 Wrangler Unlimited X = Stella's DD

Jeepnharleymomma

• Show Chairman
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 06:29:40 am »
Justjeepn19

one of our club goals is to help others learn about driving off pavement. I guide 98% of the trail rides up at Rausch for the club, I have never lost anyone or made anyone do something they are not comfortable with. When we go out I always put the new or inexperienced person in the middle where they will be surrounded by others that are very capable of helping. You will never be chastised for asking questions, if you don't know something just ask someone will gladly help. Each month we have a club ride they are posted on the forum and will say what type of trail I am guiding this month. I am sure you will get some of the other club members tell you the same thing here. I hope this helps your decision to join our club, feel free to email or PM me if you have any other questions.

"Trail Boss" Jenn Watson
89 V8 Yj, some lift, some tires and some extras!
96 Cherokee Sport (Daves beater)
1947 CJ2-A

Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly,Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that made you smile

(Tattoo) Jack

• Jack Utter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 07:23:21 am »
    I would like to know which group you went with. I can't imagine a club having a "newbe" as a Tail Gunner, but to leave someone is really insane!

With this club, when we do a Trail Ride, we have a Trail Guide, a Middle and a Tail Gunner. These positions are filled with experienced  'Wheelers (Members), who also have working CB's in order to know how everyone is doing, and to be able to help out as Spotter or for recovery, hence their locations. WE DON'T leave anyone behind, for any reason, nor do we force anyone to do trails they, or their rig, can't safely navigate. Even when doing Green Trails, there are always "side" trails, or Loops, that are rated higher for those of us who like a little more challenging obstacles. Besides, it's rare for us, on a normal trail ride, not to have at least one stock, or near stock, Jeep along.

Come along on one of our monthly rides, or ask some of the new people who have,   and see for yourself.

Tattoo

The only way to know your limits...  is to surpass them!

Don't Shop - Adopt
   "Save Your Best Friends Life, Adopt a Rescue"
       If it's not a Dobermann, it's just a Dawg...

Colli

• Newsletter Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 08:24:43 am »
Justjeepn19,

I wanted to chime in here and tell you about my first time wheelin' with PA Jeeps last spring. I was a definite newbie with a moderately modified Jeep. Like Jenn said, I was put in the middle of group and several of the experienced members took me under their wings for the duration of the ride and helped me out every step of the way.... from airing down/up my tires, explaining general concepts, giving instruction on what to do in certain situations, hopping out of their vehicles to spot me over obstacles, and general support and encouragement. It was an excellent experience and I have since joined the club and gone on 4 or 5 more rides, learning something and having a great experience every time, and making some good friends along the way.

Like Jack said, I would recommend going along on a ride as a guest to see for yourself and then you can decide if you want to join. What have you got to lose?  :)
Colli Leighton
1967 Jeepster Commando Pick Up - work in progress
2000 TJ - trail rig (ample lift, 35" MTZs, 8.8 rear, 4.88 gears, 12 different soft tops)
2012 Ram 2500HD Crew Cab - tow rig
2015 Cherokee - grocery getter
Trailer - to tow my Jeeps around

(Tattoo) Jack

• Jack Utter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 08:52:35 am »

Well said Coli.

Stop by the meeting this coming Sunday, it's open to the public. Check some of the rigs and talk to the members.

Don't Shop - Adopt

chasm

• Blonde / Bomber...
    • View Profile
    • JeepChasm
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 01:29:49 pm »
Jarrett:

There are a lot of us that run daily drivers and lightly modified Jeeps up at Rausch Creek. I joined this club 4 or 5 years ago and have made a number of friends, increased my Jeep knowledge, and best yet... significantly improved my off-highway driving skills. If you join, there will always be someone there to help you.

In addition to the monthly Club rides, a number of us go to Rausch Creek and other places for non-club trips. If you want to connect with any of us on a non-club event, I am sure you will be shown the same courtesy. I'll be happy to share the PA Jeeps experience with you, as I am sure others will.

Mike
Mike Hardesty aka: "chasm"
'51 CJ3A: Restored Garage Queen
'83 CJ8 Scrambler: To Do List...
'93 YJ: 2.5" R.E. lift, 31" Swamper SSR's, Olympic Rock bumper, smashed Stainless exhaust, U-bolt skids, Warn M-8000 winch.
'08 Liberty: (wife's DD)

justjeepn19

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 07:12:54 pm »
     Thanks for the responses everyone! I apologize for not having my name in the signature before, I think I fixed that! I'm planning on attending the meeting this sunday. Should be a good opportunity to meet some people. I'd go on the trail ride but I'm scheduled to be on the bar, I work part time as a bartender, that day and my jeep has some engine issues that need to be resolved. For example I'm having a hard time having the 4 wheel drive engage, and I think that would probably be a good thing to fix before I head back to Rausch! Haha!
     Anyways from the posts I've read this seems like a great group of people and that's what I'm looking for in a club to join. We have a common interest in all things Jeep but forming friendships is always great. I'm looking forward to meeting some of you on Sunday!
Jarrett Feeman

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 07:55:57 pm »
They wouldn't lie to YOU...Just ME... ;D But I've asked for that treatment for too many years that its become standard protocol.
Do Your Duty And History Will Do You Justice...!
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...

(Tattoo) Jack

• Jack Utter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010, 07:03:58 am »
   As you can tell by my Avatar, I AM NOT an authority on Wranglers, but I did read, sometime ago, about someone having some trouble with his Transfer Case linkage after installing a body lift . I also had some trouble with my XJ after having a tree branch hit, and bend,  my linkage.

Just thought I'd add that in case it's relevant.

Tattoo

Don't Shop - Adopt

notajeep

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2010, 04:36:17 pm »
I also would like to join.However making regular meetings from West Virginia would difficult at best.Is this a problem?

Jeepnharleymomma

• Show Chairman
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2010, 09:18:18 pm »
No its not just download an application and mail it in...
"Trail Boss" Jenn Watson
89 V8 Yj, some lift, some tires and some extras!
96 Cherokee Sport (Daves beater)
1947 CJ2-A

Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly,Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that made you smile

notajeep

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2010, 05:46:35 pm »
Great.Thanks for the quick reply.