Author Topic: Lift kit on eBay  (Read 10662 times)

Death Wobble

• Angie Zinn - Wall St. Warrior
    • View Profile
Lift kit on eBay
« on: December 30, 2009, 10:34:58 am »
Hey, guys!  I saw this lift kit package on eBay and just wanted your opinions on it.  Bear in mind that I'd like to lift the XJ around 4.5" and am still considering tire size, but at least 32".  Thanks!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250287035512&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT
'88 XJ Limited:  4.5" ZONE lift, 32x11.5x15 BFG KM2s, JKS Quicker Discos, Kevin's Off Road rock rails.
'96 XJ Sport: 31x10.5 BFGs, 3" Rusty's lift.
Listen to Clutch.
(and your gut instincts)
CENSORSHIP IS UNAMERICAN!

(Tattoo) Jack

• Jack Utter
    • View Profile
Re: Lift kit on eBay
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 02:42:49 pm »
I don't agree with some of his rhetoric. In my opinion a 3" lift, with disconnects (5" W/O Disconnects would be a "stretch"), is the max without front brake lines extensions, safely. Lift Blocks are fairly cheap. I am not sure if the Rubber Brake lines are better then the SS ???,  but I have a rear SS extended brake line, new, for $20. Try giving Eric a call and see what prices he'll do on the rest of this kit. Quadratec has some good prices on OME springs, if you go get 'em (they never come with bushings). Whenever I swap in a set of OME leafs, I just gonna have Stanley Springs (in Harrisburg) install a set of stock Rubber Bushings, they'll have a little more "give" then Poly's. I don't like the idea of "drop" Transfer Case spacers (although they work). You jack up your rig and then loose an inch by installing this. I did a complete SYE for just over a Hundred $.

Just my .02 Cents worth...

As always, your results may vary :D

« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 06:47:05 pm by (Tattoo) Jack »
The only way to know your limits...  is to surpass them!

Don't Shop - Adopt
   "Save Your Best Friends Life, Adopt a Rescue"
       If it's not a Dobermann, it's just a Dawg...

Death Wobble

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 06:33:12 pm »
That's why I put it up for review...because some of it sounded good while other segments were iffy.  ::)  It seems like OME has some of the best springs out there.  I'd like the street ride to be decent as well, seeing as it's still gonna be a DD. 

Thanks for the tips!  I'll look into that stuff.
'88 XJ Limited:  4.5" ZONE lift, 32x11.5x15 BFG KM2s, JKS Quicker Discos, Kevin's Off Road rock rails.
Listen to Clutch.
(and your gut instincts)

(Tattoo) Jack

• Jack Utter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 06:44:14 pm »

FYI:  Look into multi-valved shocks. If the shocks are soft (like what's good for street riding), when you come off a rock, and such, and drop down hard you want the shock to stiffen up and slow its rate of compression or you could end up hammering part of your rig. There's lots of really good shocks out there that give ya a nice ride on the street, but will stiffen up when the shock is rapidly compressed.
  Of course you need more input then just mine...

The only way to know your limits...  is to surpass them!

Don't Shop - Adopt
   "Save Your Best Friends Life, Adopt a Rescue"
       If it's not a Dobermann, it's just a Dawg...

Joe Giglio

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 06:45:22 pm »
Angie,
You seem to be building,but are not yet taking it out. I am a big believer in starting small and learning to drive it. You will be amazed how far one can take these Jeeps. You might also be amazed how quickly one can get themself in a bad position. This occurs more quickly when the Jeep is built. Start small, learn to drive in order to understand your limits and your Jeep's.

I would put a small lift on (2-3") some tires and rock sliders (I think you have these). You can take it out as built.  

Before anyone talks about my limits, I think I know my limits, but I do enjoy pushing them. That is the enjoyment that I get out of this sport. So far I have gotten away with it (some might argue that point).

Joe

Death Wobble

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 07:13:09 pm »
Joe,

Yes, I have the sliders as well as front and rear tow points.  I need to get more ground clearance with lift and larger wheels that are made for off-roading.  What you say makes sense but then it'd be more time and money down the road to take off one kit and replace it with another.  I do value everyone's opinion, of course!
Listen to Clutch.
(and your gut instincts)

CJ8Ted

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 10:22:10 pm »
I'm with Joe, Get that thing dirty. And learn how to drive.
I'm also with you Wobble, the part about not having to replace one kit for another in a year, so you will just have to wait. Even though I havent schooled anyone in a while  :P it is fun to show a bigger better built rig how to get-r-done. 8)

Ted
85' CJ8 on 33s w/ 4.56s

Scott Gibson

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2009, 05:41:58 am »
My nephew just did a Rustys 4.5 with 35'' tires on a 96 XJ. Trim the fenders and use TJ flares. And it works great on the trail and on the street as well.

chasm

• Blonde / Bomber...
    • View Profile
    • JeepChasm
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2009, 08:42:56 am »
I'm with Joe, Get that thing dirty. And learn how to drive.
I'm also with you Wobble, the part about not having to replace one kit for another in a year, so you will just have to wait. Even though I havent schooled anyone in a while  :P it is fun to show a bigger better built rig how to get-r-done. 8)
Ted

Ang: I agree with Ted and Joe!  ;)

Ted and a number of the club members have wheeled with me and the "little white YJ" over the past 3 years. I learned to drive it ... basically stock and then added a 2.5" lift, front disconnects, and a used set of BFG All Terrains on a used set of Gambler style rims. I took it to Rausch Creek for 2 years this way and really learned to drive it. After that I added the winch, U-bolt skid plates and the Swamper SSR radials... which are still 31" tires. I have a blast in this rig... 4 banger, open differentials, and 31's!  ;D Ask Jenn... I can keep up with "the big girls" on all of the blue trails... and I have moved up to some of the blacks as my confidence in my rig and driving ability has increased. I really believe that the driver is the most important part of the build! ;)

Just my 2 cents worth!  ;D
Mike Hardesty aka: "chasm"
'51 CJ3A: Restored Garage Queen
'83 CJ8 Scrambler: To Do List...
'93 YJ: 2.5" R.E. lift, 31" Swamper SSR's, Olympic Rock bumper, smashed Stainless exhaust, U-bolt skids, Warn M-8000 winch.
'08 Liberty: (wife's DD)

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2009, 03:09:01 pm »
I wheeled CJ's stock for eight years. Added 2 /12 lift and 33's and ran that for 4 years. Since that it was just run it hard-fix it later, build it bigger and repeat  ;D

Driving experience is MORE valuable than HUGE modifications. I've seen seriously built rigs that are capable of going just about anywhere....BUT....The drive had NO skills behind the wheel. What a waste of money!
Then I witness a stock YJ with a skilled driver embarrass the above mentioned driver....PRICELESS
Do Your Duty And History Will Do You Justice...!
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...

hillbilly

• adam lewis - appalachian american - B.O.D.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2010, 05:06:56 pm »
angie how much lift are you looking for? you can junkyard upgrade about an 1 1/2 " for very little to none or even a simple 2" block/spacer combo as far as putting on and removing its relatively painless. but ask kim and frank, a stock jeep with the right driver can do alot. after all it is a jeep.
build it, beat it, break it, fix it, repeat
A member of the church requests to be buried in his jeep because "It ain't never been in a hole it couldn't get out of."
   91 xj 8.5" lift -33" x 12.50 and my own additions
 94 xj (wifes) 3.5" lift and the boys 1979 cj7

MUDDY

• Jon Vasellas
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2010, 06:48:31 pm »
if you want to get a pair of stock bronco springs for the front and blocks for the back. that should put you at 3'' inch lift then run 31's and you should be good. that should be good to run on and off road. a friend of mine did this and his runs great like this.
98 grand cherokee mild liFT
97 CHEVY 3IN LIFT