Author Topic: Need some opinions  (Read 6906 times)

Davew

• Jenn's On Board Mechanic
    • View Profile
Need some opinions
« on: December 29, 2009, 05:28:23 pm »
Once I get started on Jenn's YJ particularly the axle swap (Dana44 frt. and rear from a 87 Waggy)I have opportunity to install them any which way I choose. I was considering spring over axle. I know what all is involved that's not a issue but, because the Yj gets as much if not more road time as it does trail time.  With the way it sits now(SUA) I think I'll get tire rub with the 35's. Center of gravity is somewhat of a concern with SOA . Which way do you think I should go?
Stupidity, if left untreated is self-correcting

Jeepnharleymomma

• Show Chairman
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Need some opinions
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 06:30:42 pm »
Which ever way I want it! :P
"Trail Boss" Jenn Watson
89 V8 Yj, some lift, some tires and some extras!
96 Cherokee Sport (Daves beater)
1947 CJ2-A

Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly,Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that made you smile

hillbilly

• adam lewis - appalachian american - B.O.D.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 06:40:08 pm »
soa gives you more clearance but i have seen issues with axle wrap. and when we converted the truck over the ride became rougher/stiffer.
build it, beat it, break it, fix it, repeat
A member of the church requests to be buried in his jeep because "It ain't never been in a hole it couldn't get out of."
   91 xj 8.5" lift -33" x 12.50 and my own additions
 94 xj (wifes) 3.5" lift and the boys 1979 cj7

CJ8Ted

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 07:51:33 pm »
Are you going to go with stock YJ springs if you go SOA?

You could get rid of the BL if you go SOA to help with COG. I cant keep from thinking you (she)  ;) will be killing rear drive shafts if it is SOA.

I think I would keep the suspention the way it is and trim the fenders if needed, and U-bolt flip for more clearance.

Ted 
85' CJ8 on 33s w/ 4.56s

BCjeeper

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 08:23:26 pm »
SOA is the best mod I ever did to my YJ. My opinion is to remove the body lift go soa and extend the sway bar. Axle wrap will happen but I'm sure you can make an antiwrap bar. Also I've found that limiting the up travel helps with body roll in the turns. I agree with keeping the cog as low as possible but if you use stock springs it will sit low enough. My jeep doesn't see a lot of road miles (3000-4000) a year, but I think it rides better now than it did before. Steering and braking take a little getting used to but there is give and take I guess. Jim
Jim Neidrich

chasm

• Blonde / Bomber...
    • View Profile
    • JeepChasm
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 08:44:43 pm »
Woo Hoo! Opinions are like a$$holes... everyone has one!  ;D

Dave, I would forget the SOA for a lot of reasons. I know your kids ride in the back and it's a daily driver too. That is enough to make me shy away from the SOA.

I would suggest taking a look back at Kane's Ballpeen Racing YJ. It's SUA with mods to the spring plates that get the U-bolts out of the way. He also did an awesome tummy tuck which gave great clearance and keeps the COG very low. He has a ton of pics on the forum. Anyway, that's my opinion!  ;)
Mike Hardesty aka: "chasm"
'51 CJ3A: Restored Garage Queen
'83 CJ8 Scrambler: To Do List...
'93 YJ: 2.5" R.E. lift, 31" Swamper SSR's, Olympic Rock bumper, smashed Stainless exhaust, U-bolt skids, Warn M-8000 winch.
'08 Liberty: (wife's DD)

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 04:02:20 am »
Yes, there are many out there and are workable.
When done correctly it's OK.

This I do know:
1) To avoid premature spring "sag" install Rancho 2" full length add-a-leafs (Rancho are the stiffest) to re-enforce the pack. If you use your exsisting springs.
2) Anti-wrap perches & traction bars.

You DO NOT want to experience spring wrap which leads to wheel hop. In an off-camber situation you WILL roll it over.

Heres an informative link for you Dave.
http://jeep.off-road.com/jeep/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=261450
Do Your Duty And History Will Do You Justice...!
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...

Charlie

• PA Jeeps-Vice President
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 07:14:02 am »
Option#3:  Get a TJ. 8)

Sorry, I couldn't resist. ;D

This is the type of opinion Mike was speaking of. ;)
Charlie "The Tuna" Stevens
2004 Wrangler Sport-4 1/2" BDS Suspension, 1 1/4" JKS Body Lift with 35" BFG's